Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116052 times)

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9585 on: March 11, 2011, 01:22:20 pm »

If a critter starves to death, is it impossible to butcher it?

On a completely unrelated note, how do I get starving animals to just freaking eat instead of moping around in the pasture and then dying?

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9586 on: March 11, 2011, 01:33:29 pm »

Yes

On a completely unrelated note, how do I get starving animals to just freaking eat instead of moping around in the pasture and then dying?

Does your pasture have grass?
Does your pasture have enough grass for all your animals? My rule of thumb is ten spaces per "small" animal (sheep,goats...) and at least 50 per large animal (Yak,Cow...)

If you are trying to raise elephants, rhinos or giraffes you may need to adjust the grazer values in the raws. Currently they need to eat constantly or they starve to death.

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9587 on: March 11, 2011, 01:38:48 pm »

If I wanted to make nice, square plot of farmland, how would I go about doing that, especially if the ground is pock-marked with farm ruining "[insert stone type here] floor."

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9588 on: March 11, 2011, 01:44:39 pm »

If I wanted to make nice, square plot of farmland, how would I go about doing that, especially if the ground is pock-marked with farm ruining "[insert stone type here] floor."

Flood it. Preferably to at least 2/7 for complete coverage. Then drain it off.

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9589 on: March 11, 2011, 01:57:48 pm »

Yes

Yay!

Does your pasture have enough grass for all your animals? My rule of thumb is ten spaces per "small" animal (sheep,goats...) and at least 50 per large animal (Yak,Cow...)

If you are trying to raise elephants, rhinos or giraffes you may need to adjust the grazer values in the raws. Currently they need to eat constantly or they starve to death.

There is so much green grass that Ireland just filed a class-action lawsuit.  I always have this problem with starving animals.  They just don't seem to eat.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9590 on: March 11, 2011, 03:20:32 pm »

I have discovered mutilated ambushers in my trap corridor and wondered where they came from. This leads me to believe weapon traps do not reveal ambushes.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9591 on: March 11, 2011, 03:51:04 pm »

Yes

Yay!

There is so much green grass that Ireland just filed a class-action lawsuit.  I always have this problem with starving animals.  They just don't seem to eat.

That's odd.

You have a pasture marketed out as an activity zone?
Animals are assigned to the pasture?
Are you using any mods? or have you modified the raws?
Have you tried removing and re designating the pasture?

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9592 on: March 11, 2011, 04:01:04 pm »

That's odd.

You have a pasture marketed out as an activity zone?
Animals are assigned to the pasture?
Are you using any mods? or have you modified the raws?
Have you tried removing and re designating the pasture?

Nope; plane Jane.  Maybe the little guy was so hungry that he was fated to die, and spending two seasons in the pasture couldn't correct it.  He was a pet before I realized he was starving and assigned him to the pasture.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9593 on: March 11, 2011, 06:05:23 pm »

Elephants and rhinos cannot eat enough food to support themselves, so you will need to adjust the values. Rhinos have a grazer value of 20, meaning they have to eat every single turn or get hungrier. Since they need to take a turn to move onto a new patch of grass, they starve. Elephants have an even lower grazer value and can't graze from trees like they're supposed to, so they just starve.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9594 on: March 11, 2011, 06:12:07 pm »

Hey, has anyone experience nest box failure after upgrading to the new version?  I'm using a fort made in .19; while originally my dwarves were almost able to live off eggs alone, but since moving the nest boxes into a tower, it stopped working--first, in .19, because one peahen was claiming all the boxes, and now, in .21, because most of the boxes sit unclaimed most of the time.  Occasionally a bird seems to claim them if viewed via the q menu, but it doesn't last and they never sit down on them.  They're definitely accessible..

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9595 on: March 11, 2011, 06:23:10 pm »

@Nil - I know this doesn't help, but I too have experienced nest boxes were nestboxes get claimed, the birds lay an egg, but then when a dwarf comes by to remove the egg, the birds jump off and don't reclaim a nestbox.

Help! I suck at designing spiral ramps! Is there a design I can stick in a 4x4 space?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: March 11, 2011, 06:30:37 pm »

OOOO
OOOO
▲▲▼O
++▼O

OOOO
OO▼▼
OO▲+
OO▲+

O▼++
O▼▲▲
OOOO
OOOO

+▲OO
+▲OO
▼▼OO
OOOO

O = wall
▼ = down ramp
▲ = up ramp
+ = floor

I hope you didn't mean 4x4 including walls.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:42:20 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9597 on: March 11, 2011, 06:33:59 pm »

Nope, once I decipher that, I think it'll work wait. Thanks, Dwarfnorris.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9598 on: March 11, 2011, 06:53:25 pm »

@Nil - I know this doesn't help, but I too have experienced nest boxes were nestboxes get claimed, the birds lay an egg, but then when a dwarf comes by to remove the egg, the birds jump off and don't reclaim a nestbox.
Sweet, this is exactly what's happening.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9599 on: March 11, 2011, 07:02:55 pm »

Sweet, this is exactly what's happening.

I've noticed that birds will only hang out on a nest box if there are eggs to hatch. Once the eggs are removed they start wandering around until the next time they feel like laying eggs again. I suspect this behavior is a result of the bugfixing Toady did in regards to nestboxes.
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 1178