Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116045 times)

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9555 on: March 09, 2011, 08:27:59 pm »

Sweet.  Just wanted to make sure.  I had an FB pass through my plumbing system before, and wasn't sure if he busted the fortifications or was pushed through by the water.  I guess I know now.  Thanks!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: March 09, 2011, 08:30:19 pm »

Do stone pots go in the furniture stockpile?  I have a bunch of them in there for some reason.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: March 09, 2011, 09:13:13 pm »

I'm pretty sure they are like barrels in that regard.

I don't suppose there is a way to remove a wall from above?
Memento Mori

Rakoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: March 09, 2011, 10:04:52 pm »

I'm sure this was probably answered somewhere in here before, but what is the best material for crafting war-hammers?  Especially for embark - Copper or bronze?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9559 on: March 09, 2011, 10:11:10 pm »

Silver is good for blunt weapons.

Also, all of these stone pots keep going into my furniture stockpile- I never had barrels enabled, by the way.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:12:54 pm by Bouchart »

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9560 on: March 09, 2011, 10:20:28 pm »

Silver is good for blunt weapons.

Also, all of these stone pots keep going into my furniture stockpile- I never had barrels enabled, by the way.

To reiterate, tetrahedrite. Copper for traps and silver for goblin-headsmashers.

I thought pots went in finished goods stockpile under tools? The wiki says they're treated like barrels in storing things, but in the stockpile there should be a specific option for them.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: March 09, 2011, 10:25:21 pm »

I'm sure this was probably answered somewhere in here before, but what is the best material for crafting war-hammers?  Especially for embark - Copper or bronze?

Between copper and bronze, take bronze. When it comes to weapons that deal blunt damage (hammers and maces mainly,) damage is determined by the weight of the weapon. In terms of readily produced weapons, silver is your best option for hammers- gold and platinum are heavier (and therefore more effective) materials, but can only be produced via strange mood.

If you feel like a bit of DIY to get your hammer, bring silver nuggets and smelt them to produce a silver bar, and then have somebody make a hammer themselves. Galena has a 50% chance of producing silver in addition to lead, and Tetrahedrite has a 20% chance of producing silver in addition to copper.

I myself often take tetrahedrite and cassiterite (ore of tin) on embark if I want a hammer right away. If I get the silver, then I can have a great weapon right away, but even if I don't get it I can smelt the cassiterite for tin and use tin + copper to make bronze. If I'm expecting a dangerous embark (which is probably why I'm trying for a quick hammer in the first place) then I invest in some charcoal to save time.

Here's a healthcare question: My militia commander has a spine injury. On his health screen, his spine has been smashed apart, and the lower spine nervous tissue has been cut apart. The nervous tissue has been sutured. Ability to stand lost.

Looking at the z health screen, however, reveals that he Cannot Stand and has Broken Tissue. More intriguing to me was the fact it does NOT list any sensory or motor nerve damage.

Will he walk again?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9562 on: March 09, 2011, 10:28:53 pm »

If he cannot stand, no. Chances are his spine is still in two, but the nervous tissue is intact thanks to dwarven ingenuity.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: March 09, 2011, 11:52:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure they are like barrels in that regard.

I don't suppose there is a way to remove a wall from above?
Nope.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9564 on: March 10, 2011, 12:15:58 am »

Can you glaze bricks? Do glazed bricks retain their <<Glazed>> descriptor post construction?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: March 10, 2011, 12:21:22 am »

While we're at it, do glazes have quality levels?

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9566 on: March 10, 2011, 12:42:19 am »

While we're at it, do glazes have quality levels?

I would assume so, just as dying has quality levels.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9567 on: March 10, 2011, 05:03:38 am »

I've seem to be stuck in a perpetual siege. All the combatants are accounted for, I even patrolled around the entire map with the squads and no more ambushes were present.
Moreover, this bug seems to stop me from getting any contact with the outside world other than the besiegers. I've not had any migrants, caravans, or liaisons for the past 3 years.

I had a similar situation prior to this current fortress, in fact this bug seems to have arose from similar circumstances. I believe the bug comes about when you either encase enemies in obsidian, or crush them with it in the case of a cave in. The reason I include the cave-in possibility is due to the fact that the lava at that point was really that high, adding water to it was a simple procedure due to a overcasting platform from which water can be dumped. Both times the permanent siege tag bug also came about the enemies that were being engulfed in obsidian were also quite close the the border of the map, but I'm not sure whether that has anything to do with it.

Anywho, has anyone else encountered this bug before? And better yet, has anyone a solution to it? Playing the defence mod with no income of caravans nor migrants isn't exactly playable for long.

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9568 on: March 10, 2011, 05:03:55 am »

Is there a way to prevent the hospital from using adamantine sutures?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: March 10, 2011, 05:13:37 am »

I don't believe so.
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1178