Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115859 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9495 on: March 07, 2011, 10:08:29 am »

1, 2, and 3/7 are safe, 4/7 are above are not.

AFAIK 1-4 is safe, 5-7 is dangerous but 4-7 count as water deep enough to train swimming.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: March 07, 2011, 10:26:15 am »

1, 2, and 3/7 are safe, 4/7 are above are not.

AFAIK 1-4 is safe, 5-7 is dangerous but 4-7 count as water deep enough to train swimming.

Dwarves don't path through water that's 4/7 or more. they won't drown in it, they just wont go into it. (or out, as some people have discovered)
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: March 07, 2011, 05:04:23 pm »

My kingdom for a simple, concise explanation of marksdorfs, sufficient that I can get a squad of them onto my Cave One skywalk to kill a Forgotten Beast three or four levels down. The FB is made of vomit, so it shouldn't take much.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: March 07, 2011, 05:51:06 pm »

My kingdom for a simple, concise explanation of marksdorfs, sufficient that I can get a squad of them onto my Cave One skywalk to kill a Forgotten Beast three or four levels down. The FB is made of vomit, so it shouldn't take much.

What do you want to know?

A Marksdwarf needs to be equipped with a crossbow, quiver, and bolts.

You can use the default archer uniform when you create a squad if you want to keep it simple, or you can create your own uniform. When you create a squad, hit f on the military screen to assign the squads bolts.

Hit s to bring up the squad screen, select a squad with a, b, c or whatever, hit k to select something to kill. On the kill screen, hit l to get a list, and find your enemy there.

They should grab equipment before they go off to kill, but if not, you may have to assign them to a sheduled alert; I suppose active/train will do the trick. They will grab their equipment and then you can send them off to kill.

But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: March 07, 2011, 05:51:48 pm »

Give them crossbows and quivers, and then assign them some ammunition. After that, move them individually onto the the skywalk and they'll start plinking at the FB even if their dabbling.

How does one de-designate a section of a burrow that they've designated?

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9500 on: March 07, 2011, 05:58:07 pm »

Did the raws change in .21? Can i use old raws from .20, i just gone through all out modding and noticed new version, can i just copy old raws folder to new version?
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9501 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:52 pm »

From what I've read the raws are unchanged from .20 to .21.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: March 07, 2011, 09:25:27 pm »

1) Is there a way to ask the game where all of my garbage zones are?  Just in case I forgot to remove the previous one....

2) What's up with clay?  It's soil, but... you can't farm on it?  And grass doesn't grow back on it?  Or am I just doing something wrong?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: March 08, 2011, 01:10:07 am »

How does one de-designate a section of a burrow that they've designated?
you need to go to the "remove designation"/"remove burrow" part of the burrow (but not "delete burrow in the main burrow menu!)
1) Is there a way to ask the game where all of my garbage zones are?  Just in case I forgot to remove the previous one....
Nope.
2) What's up with clay?  It's soil, but... you can't farm on it?  And grass doesn't grow back on it?  Or am I just doing something wrong?
It's kinda buggy. Need someone to confirm this though.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: March 08, 2011, 02:24:41 am »

Having some trouble trading caged dangerous animals and glazing stuff. Any tips appreciated.

If I try to sell the animal it's removed from it's cage and interrupts, and if I try to sell the cage the dorf dumps the animal first. Can I not trade caged animals? I love the idea of selling goblins into slavery.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: March 08, 2011, 02:36:08 am »

Having some trouble trading caged dangerous animals and glazing stuff. Any tips appreciated.

If I try to sell the animal it's removed from it's cage and interrupts, and if I try to sell the cage the dorf dumps the animal first. Can I not trade caged animals? I love the idea of selling goblins into slavery.
nope, it's a bug.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9506 on: March 08, 2011, 03:42:46 am »

If you can tame the animal you should be ok.

My question, does the furnace operating skill have any effect on the quality of the bars produced? Can I just assign all of my peasants to do it or should I stick with an elite few?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: March 08, 2011, 03:50:09 am »

Alright, I have another question. In my animal stockpile I have a caged plump helmet spawn.

...what? Well, how do I release it? Yes, I checked, it is contained within a cage and not just sitting on top of it.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: March 08, 2011, 03:53:58 am »

My question, does the furnace operating skill have any effect on the quality of the bars produced? Can I just assign all of my peasants to do it or should I stick with an elite few?
Furnace skill affects only speed IIRC.
Unless you have many (preferably magma) smelters though, I would stick with some good ones to churn out fuel/ore (fuel unless you have magma)

Alright, I have another question. In my animal stockpile I have a caged plump helmet spawn.

...what? Well, how do I release it? Yes, I checked, it is contained within a cage and not just sitting on top of it.
It could be a plump helmet man - check for that.
If you don't care about the cage though...
[ b ] build the cage, link a lever to it, pull the lever. should work.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:58:56 am by TolyK »
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: March 08, 2011, 04:21:43 am »

Hey I have another question about dwarven bahavior towards water.
I decided to give my bath design another go. This time I made sure there were some dwarves in it before I pumped it with water. I made sure every single tile is now filled to 3/7 wich is indeed safe. It works like a charm, all dwarves inside were completely cleaned up and a large amount of filth and blood was left in the pool, ready to be mass cleaned.
However I'm still having trouble with getting the dwarves in the pool. I defined a burrow inside and sure enough the dwarves who were inside to begin with stayed inside, but all other dwarves would group up at the edge of the pool refusing to go in. I thought burrows would work in this case, but the dwarves simply refuse.
Any tips on how to make this work. It's definatly safe for them to go in.
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 1178