Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115413 times)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9315 on: March 01, 2011, 04:27:14 pm »

They are expertly fired masterpieces of clay designed for the sole purpose of making your stockpiles look snazzy. I throw them in with my Terracotta dwarves.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9316 on: March 01, 2011, 04:31:32 pm »

"Large clay" appears to be a bug.  For some reason the clay gathering code is borrowing from the gem cutting system where cutting a gem sometimes results in a "Large <gem name>" in addition to normal cut gems.  Clay gathering sometimes results in a "large clay" finished good object instead of or in addition to normal clay.  This is a bug and will be corrected in future versions.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9317 on: March 01, 2011, 04:57:49 pm »

Spoilers ahead:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is this normal?

ETA: One of them is near a pool of "boiling spoiler extract", implying that it has at some point moved around. I'm starting to be mildly concerned.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:00:10 pm by proxn_punkd »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9318 on: March 01, 2011, 05:08:31 pm »

"Large clay" appears to be a bug.  For some reason the clay gathering code is borrowing from the gem cutting system where cutting a gem sometimes results in a "Large <gem name>" in addition to normal cut gems.  Clay gathering sometimes results in a "large clay" finished good object instead of or in addition to normal clay.  This is a bug and will be corrected in future versions.
I don't have a kiln. I've got no clay-gathering zones. The only soil on my map is Clay Loam.

But somehow I've acquired Silty, Sandy, and Fired Clay thingamabobs.

I do occasionally buy clay from caravans, because it's really heavy, but the thingamabobs are listed as products of my fort.

So I'm confused.

Nick

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9319 on: March 01, 2011, 08:03:53 pm »

Craftdwarves can use clay as like they use stone, so they could make a clay mug or a clay harp or something.  Masons and mechanics can make clay thrones, mechanisms etc.

Edit: does anyone know if an ash glaze has a quality level?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:07:36 pm by Bouchart »

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9320 on: March 01, 2011, 11:05:26 pm »

How do I attract goblins into a trap? A chained puppy just doesn't seem to attract them as much as the rest of the fortress.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9321 on: March 01, 2011, 11:08:48 pm »

How do I attract goblins into a trap? A chained puppy just doesn't seem to attract them as much as the rest of the fortress.
walls, moats and such.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9322 on: March 01, 2011, 11:13:36 pm »

walls, moats and such.

In other words, wealth?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9323 on: March 01, 2011, 11:20:13 pm »

walls, moats and such.

In other words, wealth?

I think the actual fortress is the desire here, and controlling the path to the fortress. Side paths are an often overlooked defense, after closing off your main path with floodgates/bridges they'll want to take your heavily trapped side path that spirals, dips, and curves eventually into your fortress.

I don't know about your puppies, but my goblins will kill every living thing outside my fortress before entering. Maybe your puppies have bad breath. I do mean every living thing, livestock, pets, and fisherdwarf alike.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9324 on: March 01, 2011, 11:23:56 pm »

I know they kill them, and I blocked the main entrance. I want them to take the side entrance into my drowning chamber. Unfortunately, that one puppy I chained in there doesn't really attract them that much. Opening another gate, however, does attract them.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9325 on: March 01, 2011, 11:41:10 pm »

is it possible to pit a goblin into a pit with a bridge over it or does the bridge have to be retracted?  also will a bridge keep water from coming up as long as it is down?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9326 on: March 02, 2011, 12:11:16 am »

is it possible to pit a goblin into a pit with a bridge over it or does the bridge have to be retracted?  also will a bridge keep water from coming up as long as it is down?

Has to be retracted and yes.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9327 on: March 02, 2011, 12:46:23 am »

also will a bridge keep water from coming up as long as it is down?

As a side benefit, a raising bridge will destroy any water where it lands, leaving an overflowing pit at 7/7 and dry on top. You'd just have to worry about the water in the rest of the hallway.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9328 on: March 02, 2011, 01:51:03 am »

How do I start using pots as "barrels"? I managed to get one pot as a prepared food barrel(and it stored TONS),m but the rest are just lying around unused.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9329 on: March 02, 2011, 02:03:36 am »

Some of the new stuff is bugged as all hell.
They'll probably just sit there, cluttering up the workshop.
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 1178