Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115260 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9270 on: February 28, 2011, 06:26:42 pm »

Tools as in [ITEM_TOOL:<whatever>]
Picks are [ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK] and are considered digging implements because of the [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK] tag in the dwarven entity entry.

Should have specified that it was a raws thing, sorry.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9271 on: February 28, 2011, 07:11:43 pm »

Plaster casts require a bucket with water in it in order to be made.  If you have a water source, your bone doctor will take a bucket and attempt to fill it, although AFAIK this part is still bugged.

It is.  I saw it happen in .19, after I foolishly allowed myself to buy some plaster from a caravan.

However, something quite unusual happened as I was attempting to work around it.  The doc was sitting at the well with bucket in hand.  I tried marking the bucket for dumping, and that did nothing.  Then I tried forbidding it.  That seemed to make the doc wake up -- he walked away from the well carrying the bucket.  While he was moving, I unforbade it.  He walked over to the patient, and successfully put a cast on the patient.

I was somewhat amazed, needless to say.  I have no idea whether this can be reproduced.  It's hard to produce a dwarf with just the right injuries, and get the right diagnosis, on demand.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ZackTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
  • A wild Game Developer has appeared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9272 on: February 28, 2011, 07:43:46 pm »

Do I need to do anything with my War and Hunting dogs to get them to do their jobs?
Dwarves are like Spartans... only more stupid, and more drunk.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9273 on: February 28, 2011, 07:46:35 pm »

Do I need to do anything with my War and Hunting dogs to get them to do their jobs?
What do you mean by "job"?

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9274 on: February 28, 2011, 07:56:33 pm »

Assign them to dorfs. Hunting dogs assigned to hunters, and war dogs to whoever you think might need protection.

Do this by [v] - select dorf - [p] - [e] (labor dogs) - and [w] for war dogs, and I assume [h] for hunting dogs.

As far as I understand, hunting dogs wont hunt on their own. They will just help your hunters hunt.

ZackTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
  • A wild Game Developer has appeared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9275 on: February 28, 2011, 08:14:29 pm »

Assign them to dorfs. Hunting dogs assigned to hunters, and war dogs to whoever you think might need protection.

Do this by [v] - select dorf - [p] - [e] (labor dogs) - and [w] for war dogs, and I assume [h] for hunting dogs.

As far as I understand, hunting dogs wont hunt on their own. They will just help your hunters hunt.

This answers my question, thank you.
Dwarves are like Spartans... only more stupid, and more drunk.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9276 on: February 28, 2011, 09:14:25 pm »

Marksdorfs not training, Part 2.

I still haven't figured out what is behind my marksdorfs not training. The majority of the time, it archery range stands empty, but sometimes I will find one or two firing off bolts there. Otherwise, they have a job status "Soldier can't follow orders" Here's a list of the things I've tried so far:

-Removed all ammunition allocated to hunters.
-Made sure there were no hunters, or anyone with the hunting labor.
-Unassigned and reassigned uniforms.
-Double checked that the minimum dwarf requirement is properly set.
-Double checked that the schedule is set to active.
-Made twice as many archery targets as I have marksdorfs.
-Placed ammunition in a stockpile within the squad/individual equip radius of an archery target.
-Placed further ammunition in a separate stockpile.
-Placed ammunition in no stockpile at all.
-Given the squad a barracks for sleeping only.
-Given the squad no barracks at all.
-Checked make sure every member had a crossbow, quiver, etc.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9277 on: February 28, 2011, 10:08:15 pm »

The wiki mentioned that ammo which has ever been stored in a stockpile may be unusable for marksdwarves. Have you tried placing a craft workshop near the archery range, turning off all ammo stockpiles(so the ammo sits in the workshop) and then making a bunch of bone bolts?

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #9278 on: February 28, 2011, 10:08:54 pm »

Yet another silly question, but I'm messing with my first Nest Box. I've got it in a corner, which was probably a bad idea, like so..

#  E
#N
###

# - wall
N - nest
E - eggs

The stupid turkey hen keeps bouncing from the nest to where the eggs are, and interrupts any dwarf attempt to take the eggs, or deconstruct the nest. Its also laying eggs at what I assume is an exponential rate, 'cause there was like fifty of them in the pile in just a matter of minutes. Do these things need a full circle around them for dorfs to gather/deconstruct, or is that turkey hen not supposed to be moving?

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9279 on: February 28, 2011, 10:19:07 pm »

I've had wild turkey's exhibit this behavior...I killed the turkey when I wanted the eggs...

If it's a tame turkey pasture it...if it's wild kill it. I put my nest boxes in a blind hallway with a cage trap in front. Seems to work.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #9280 on: February 28, 2011, 10:22:32 pm »

Ah, yeah, its a wild turkey. I guess I'll have it shot and see if I can't get the tame one to have some better manners.

EDIT: Course, I don't really know how to make them shoot a specific animal.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:44:14 pm by Zeranamu »

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9281 on: February 28, 2011, 10:37:04 pm »

Marksdorfs not training, Part 2.

I still haven't figured out what is behind my marksdorfs not training...

To anyone new posting questions here: Don't get too discouraged by a lack of immediate response. I think it's safe to say that when readers here selectively answer some questions and skip others it's often because either a) they honestly don't know the answer or b) they've grown tired of answering the same questions over and over again - esp. when either the wiki explains it much better or they've just replied to a nearly identical question a couple pages back.

Case in point: I posted a lengthy reply about the many problems with marksdorfs just 4 days ago. Just saying...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:42:24 pm by Thundercraft »

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9282 on: March 01, 2011, 02:06:16 am »

The wiki mentioned that ammo which has ever been stored in a stockpile may be unusable for marksdwarves. Have you tried placing a craft workshop near the archery range, turning off all ammo stockpiles(so the ammo sits in the workshop) and then making a bunch of bone bolts?

I have tried this, earlier, to no effect. The issue I see with this is that my marksdorfs still take, and use (if infrequently), ammo from the ammo stockpiles. Someone in another post mentioned that overlapping archery ranges, or food and water supplies might be the issue, so I'll have to try fiddling with those as well.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9283 on: March 01, 2011, 07:27:42 am »

Will moody dwarves make tools? If not, are there any other moddable categories of item that they won't make?
raws... yeah i've seen them even make tools. anything they like actually.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: March 01, 2011, 07:46:41 am »

Can anybody tell me is there a way to train on caged animals (gobbos, hippies)? I tried linking 2 goblin cages to a lever and releasing them in from of my 10 marksdorfs, ended up with 7 of 10 dead dorfs :/
If you're trying to train archery, use this setup or similar:
Code: [Select]
#D###
# FCD
#####
# FCD
#D###

D=Door
F=Fortification
C=Cage
#=Wall

Link up the cages to a lever, then lock the doors behind them. Station marksdwarves on the other side fo the fortifcations with bone arrows (so they don't kill too fast). Lock those doors so the dwarves don't wander off. Pull the lever.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 1178