Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115205 times)

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9225 on: February 27, 2011, 09:55:34 pm »

I was going to mod them to be usable, it's just I don't know what the values all mean to figure out if they're good or not. :P

I'm afraid I don't know much about modding, but I suspect that - if the properties follow with real-world counterparts - that traditional materials would be the best suited for armour, while for bludgeoning weapons either platinum, gold or lead would perform better than silver, owing to a higher density. For chopping and blocking, though, it's still steel/magic blue stuff all the way.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

ZackTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
  • A wild Game Developer has appeared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9226 on: February 27, 2011, 09:59:35 pm »

How do you make different types of booze at the brewery?
Dwarves are like Spartans... only more stupid, and more drunk.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9227 on: February 27, 2011, 10:04:28 pm »

How do you make different types of booze at the brewery?
Press 'q', move the cursor to the brewery, press 'a', press 'b'.  A dwarf will then grab the nearest brewable plant and turn it into booze.

If you want to make a specific type of booze, you need to go to your kitchen screen and disable brewing of every plant type you don't want brewed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9228 on: February 27, 2011, 10:43:12 pm »

Press 'q', move the cursor to the brewery, press 'a', press 'b'.  A dwarf will then grab the nearest brewable plant and turn it into booze.

If you want to make a specific type of booze, you need to go to your kitchen screen and disable brewing of every plant type you don't want brewed.
Instead of that, couldn't we forbid all plant stockpiles except for the one containing the plant we want brewed?

My magma sea appears to have started draining off the side of the map and I suspect it is behind a drop from 80 to 40 FPS and may strand my magma forges before long. Any idea what's doing on and what to do about it?

I suggest taking a close look at the DFHack set of tools. One or more of these might help:
  • dfflows -- counts 'active' and 'inactive' liquid tiles. Handy if you suspect that your hell is leaky but don't want to use reveal.
  • dfliquids -- tool for creating magma water and obsidian out of thin air 
  • dfprobe -- A tile probe that shows some data of map tiles (for example temperature). Use with a cursor enabled.
  • dfreveal -- A reveal clone. Also can unreveal what it revealed if you don't close it.
I suspect you might be able to create obsidian along the edge of your magma sea in order to stop the leak.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9229 on: February 27, 2011, 11:03:42 pm »

Instead of that, couldn't we forbid all plant stockpiles except for the one containing the plant we want brewed?
You could do that too.  You could also have different stockpiles taking different kinds of plants and use burrows to restrict the brewer to the still and stockpile containing the plants you want brewed.  You could also surround the still with a stockpile containing only the plant you want brewed, since the brewer tends to grab the closest plant to the workshop when doing a repeat job.  There are a lot of ways to control which item a dwarf uses for a job.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9230 on: February 27, 2011, 11:21:01 pm »

...is there a particularly good guide to editing the DF raws floating around?

Search the magmawiki... Bah, OK, here: DF2010:Modding guide. Also, be sure to check out Shaostoul's Guide wiki (click the [show] tabs to unhide the rest of the page) and the Shaostoul's Modding Guide thread. And if you have any questions (preferably ones not already answered in these links), you can ask in the 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!) thread.

What determines who your "neighbors" are? If you're a long distance from other civs, will it affect the reliability of caravans and migrants?
It was my understanding that distance is a factor. But how much and to what extent, I'm not sure. (Search the wiki.) However, it is known that if you embark on a small island with no civs as neighbors, you won't get any caravans or sieges. Both of those need access to your island on land. (Though, I have read a claim that it is possible to build vast stretches of roads and bridges to said island - possibly requiring several separate embarks - in order to give them access.)

Are there any simple ways to encourage war between civilizations in world gen or does it require modding?
Depends on what you mean by "simple". It should be possible to get certain civs to fight each other by actions of the player in Adventure Mode:

DF2010 Talk:Adventurer mode > Thoughts on Elf Adventurers
Based on reviews of the Legends logs, attacking (or being attacked by?) members of a given Entity seems to make that Entity an Enemy of any Entities your adventurer belongs to. While I haven't tested this, it would seem possible that this could cause your civilization in Fortress mode to be at War with someone on embark, if you made some enemies with a dwarf adventurer of the same civilization.
DF2010 Talk:Adventurer mode > Starting wars?
Can an adventurer cause wars by traveling around and attacking peaceful civilizations? --TomiTapio 18:27, 6 July 2010 (UTC)
Sort of. If the civilizations aren't already at war, they won't call it war. But if you're allied with one and cause trouble in another, they will name anyone you attack or who attacks you as an enemy, who will become a quest target. You could very easily make this snowball into a chain of aggressions from your allied nation on the ones that you're attacking. Even better, if you bring companions from your allies into settlement that has declared you enemy, they will run completely amok. This could be any nations at any range, whether they have any good reason for war or not. DokEnkephalin 17:09, 9 September 2010 (UTC)
Once you've gotten them fighting, you could retire your adventurer and switch to Fortress Mode to see if it sticks.

...what happens if you constantly reject, kill or seize from the mountainhomes caravan?
Rejecting them I think gradually upsets them. But arranging an "accident", such as a flood of water or magma is not the same thing as having your dwarves attack them directly:

What are the penalties for killing dwarf merchants/guards?

Depends on the method. If you flood the depot or use some similar indirect method, then the mountainhomes will just send you less stuff next year because profits were so bad. If you use kill orders, you'll cause a loyalty cascade. Basically, the dwarf that does the deed will be labeled an enemy of the civ but will still be a member of the fortress. Thus, other dwarves will flee/attack him because he is an enemy of the civ, but if a dwarf succeeds in killing him they'll be killing a fortress member, and will become an enemy of the fortress. They will, in turn, be fled/fought by the other dwarves. That cycle will repeat until everyone is dead. From personal experience, it is quite amusing and is a good way to end a fort you're bored with.

What if I drive them insane first by locking them in with a drawbridge?

That is a very good question. My gut says that if they go berserk they will no longer be members of their parent civ, and will be fair game. I'm not at all sure about melancholy/babbling though. I propose SCIENCE!

c-106mc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9231 on: February 27, 2011, 11:31:17 pm »

How does a dwarf end up on top of a wall if there's no way for him to get up there in the first place?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9232 on: February 28, 2011, 12:33:29 am »

How does a dwarf end up on top of a wall if there's no way for him to get up there in the first place?

That's easy: you assigned the wall to be built, the dwarf grabbed the rock and loaded himself into the nearest catapult, pulled the lever, built the wall midair, then landed on top of the built wall exactly where it was assigned to be built.

Honestly I don't know, I've had it happen a few times as well. I assume it's a wrestling/catapult accident that sends the poor dwarf flying onto some obstacle that leaves him stranded and his wounds heal by the time I realize he's there. I've noticed the lack of this happening directly correlating with my lack of catapults though.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #9233 on: February 28, 2011, 02:33:52 am »

Sorry if this has been answered before, but..

Why is my Fisherdwarf standing *in the middle* of the river? It's 7 deep, but there he is, fishing away. And he doesn't know how to swim... and he doesn't die, he keeps bringing food back and going right back out there for more.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9234 on: February 28, 2011, 02:38:25 am »

Is it a brook or a river?

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #9235 on: February 28, 2011, 02:43:26 am »

Erm, not quite sure of the difference. Like 4 squares across, flows from one corner of my map to the other.

Edit: Nope, you're right. It's a brook and he was standing on one of the magical 'brook grates'.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:46:16 am by Zeranamu »

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9236 on: February 28, 2011, 04:35:37 am »

Erm, not quite sure of the difference. Like 4 squares across, flows from one corner of my map to the other.

Edit: Nope, you're right. It's a brook and he was standing on one of the magical 'brook grates'.

What are these mysterious, "magical 'brook grates'" you speak of?  :o

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9237 on: February 28, 2011, 05:17:35 am »

What are these mysterious, "magical 'brook grates'" you speak of?  :o

The top tile of a brook is essentially a floor made out of water. Walking on it doesn't get you wet, and it can even support constructions. In fact, you have to channel it out to build a water wheel.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9238 on: February 28, 2011, 05:33:03 am »

My magma sea appears to have started draining off the side of the map and I suspect it is behind a drop from 80 to 40 FPS and may strand my magma forges before long. Any idea what's doing on and what to do about it?

Attempting things like this always end in FUN for me, but you might be able to do this a little better.

I would say build a series of pumps to pull the magma away from the edge of the map, then brick in the area that the magma leaks through. If flooding will result, leave a few openings and such. The big problem with this is that it will take a lang LONG time since you would basically only have the means to build the retaining wall one brick at a time.

If you have access to water, build a walkway over the far end of the magma pool and designate the area under it as a pond. The dwarves will dump some water on it, turn it to obsidian and form a retaining wall. Maybe. Either that our you'll fill the fortress with toxic clouds.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9239 on: February 28, 2011, 05:38:42 am »

I'm still attempting to avenge my people, but it is hard to end this bronze colossus scurge with SO MANY ROACHES. In 4 hours I moved about 8 Urists. This is ridiculous.

I've attempted just going through and removing all roaches from my RAWs, but now it just says it can't find the entry. If I can just find the part of the save file that make it even look for the roaches I'm sure I could convince it there are none and speed up this process.

Maybe this should go into the modding section or Adventurer questions since this is in adventurer mode, I don't know. But please, someone tell me how to get rid of all these damn roaches that take more than 20 minutes to move!
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 1178