Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115112 times)

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9210 on: February 27, 2011, 07:39:39 pm »

A few questions about civs I couldn't find on the wiki: what happens if you constantly reject, kill or seize from the mountainhomes caravan? What determines who your "neighbors" are? If you're a long distance from other civs, will it affect the reliability of caravans and migrants? Are there any simple ways to encourage war between civilizations in world gen or does it require modding? And is there a particularly good guide to editing the DF raws floating around?
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9211 on: February 27, 2011, 07:48:27 pm »

Anyone knows whether caged animals still need to graze? I have a donkey that's stuck in my cage displaying a !!!! sign. Dumb elves, when are they going to come so I can sell my pets.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: February 27, 2011, 07:49:41 pm »

I was looking for an evil tundra embark to have a little fun. I found a nice sized glacier covered in purple.  I noticed a couple places had different biomes but looked identical (same soil/aquifer/trees/stone/etc.) The only difference was the shade of purple on the map. How do shades of purple (and blue for that matter) differ? Could it be one is for undead and the other for fleshy 'normal' evil? All biomes in the area were listed as 'haunted' if that helps.
The new grass and trees have different colours. Glumprong in particular is purple and not found in all evil maps.

ZackTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
  • A wild Game Developer has appeared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9213 on: February 27, 2011, 07:54:06 pm »

I'm having a problem. My announcements is being spammed with "Kratos" Cancels Hunt: Could not find path. Is this a bug or is there something I am doing wrong?
Dwarves are like Spartans... only more stupid, and more drunk.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: February 27, 2011, 08:07:22 pm »

You probably have a hunter assigned to a burrow that doesn't contain the animal he's hunting.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: February 27, 2011, 08:11:31 pm »

How do i pit migrants so my doctors will get some practice? How much z-levels the pit should be to injure them a little, but more importantly make them reusable(migrants)?
How do i train weapon skills more effectively? Danger rooms are good for that? How do i make a good one(danger room)? Can i train crossbowdwarfs with danger rooms?
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: February 27, 2011, 08:15:51 pm »

How do i pit migrants so my doctors will get some practice? How much z-levels the pit should be to injure them a little, but more importantly make them reusable(migrants)?
Make the fort entrance a meeting area over a retracting bridge. I think three or four z-levels should be perfect. Broken bones, but nothing too life-threatening.

How do i train weapon skills more effectively? Danger rooms are good for that? How do i make a good one(danger room)? Can i train crossbowdwarfs with danger rooms?
Danger rooms are basically upright training spears linked to a lever or repeater that your military stand on. Just keep it out of the way of civilians. Marksdwarves will train hammer skill with it (as crossbows' melee attack is based on the hammer skill).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: February 27, 2011, 08:24:14 pm »

Uhm, do i need to pull that lever linked to crapload of upright spikes 1 time for 1 poke, or the speas will poke a lot of times?
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9218 on: February 27, 2011, 08:25:34 pm »

Anyone knows whether caged animals still need to graze? I have a donkey that's stuck in my cage displaying a !!!! sign. Dumb elves, when are they going to come so I can sell my pets.
Tame animals in cages will still get hungry and starve, and when tame animals die of starvation you won't be able to butcher their corpse.

Uhm, do i need to pull that lever linked to crapload of upright spikes 1 time for 1 poke, or the speas will poke a lot of times?
Pull it once, the spikes extend and poke once.  Pull it again, the spikes retract.  So two pulls are required for one poke.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

mszegedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9219 on: February 27, 2011, 08:26:38 pm »

Double doors: how?

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: February 27, 2011, 08:27:19 pm »

Alright, and about that repeater thing. What exatly i need to link my spike at?

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: February 27, 2011, 09:13:36 pm »

Regarding some of the more 'exotic' metals that normally don't get used. Such as say... aluminum. How good a weapon/armor metal is it really? I can't tell much by looking at the raws as all the values... I just don't get any of them. They confuse me.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: February 27, 2011, 09:16:07 pm »

Double doors are just a 2 tile wide hallway with a door on either wall as I use the term. When I want to use a spike trap I usually just connect the spikes to a lever and set it on Pull/R. You can't use most weapons for metal. The rule of thumb I use is that for armor and edged weapons steel>iron>bronze>silver>copper. Blunt weapons are the same but silver is at the top.

My magma sea appears to have started draining off the side of the map and I suspect it is behind a drop from 80 to 40 FPS and may strand my magma forges before long. Any idea what's doing on and what to do about it?
Memento Mori

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #9223 on: February 27, 2011, 09:35:30 pm »

Regarding some of the more 'exotic' metals that normally don't get used. Such as say... aluminum. How good a weapon/armor metal is it really? I can't tell much by looking at the raws as all the values... I just don't get any of them. They confuse me.

Most can't be used as armour, only for crafts/furniture etc. The armor/weapon viable metals (ignoring strange moods) are: copper, silver, bronze, bismuth bronze, iron, steel, adamantine. As for quality, silver is currently good for bludgeoning (circumstantially), everything else follows the progression copper-bronze-iron-steel-adamantine. Bismuth bronze is identical to bronze, apart from in value and general coolness 8)
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: February 27, 2011, 09:39:17 pm »

Most can't be used as armour, only for crafts/furniture etc. The armor/weapon viable metals (ignoring strange moods) are: copper, silver, bronze, bismuth bronze, iron, steel, adamantine. As for quality, silver is currently good for bludgeoning (circumstantially), everything else follows the progression copper-bronze-iron-steel-adamantine. Bismuth bronze is identical to bronze, apart from in value and general coolness 8)

I was going to mod them to be usable, it's just I don't know what the values all mean to figure out if they're good or not. :P
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 1178