Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1114920 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9180 on: February 27, 2011, 01:10:54 am »

You need to build a fishery and clean the turtles to eat them and I think you have to cook eggs.
Memento Mori

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9181 on: February 27, 2011, 02:25:29 am »

How do I get my dwarves to actually collect honeycomb and royal jelly? I have the jugs, I have the hives and its ready tos plit...... what's next?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9182 on: February 27, 2011, 02:40:15 am »

How do I get my dwarves to actually collect honeycomb and royal jelly? I have the jugs, I have the hives and its ready tos plit...... what's next?
If the jugs are earthenware, they'll need to be glazed first. You'll also have to (q)uerry the hive and allow the (c)ollecting of that stuff.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9183 on: February 27, 2011, 03:47:43 am »

What about rock jugs?

I have a mixture of rock and wood jugs for the collection.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9184 on: February 27, 2011, 03:48:54 am »

Hmmm, how does one know when they're ready to be collected?

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9185 on: February 27, 2011, 05:16:30 am »

How normal is it to find a cavern that's over 50 z-levels deep?  I can't see the floor yet.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9186 on: February 27, 2011, 05:19:12 am »

How normal is it to find a cavern that's over 50 z-levels deep?  I can't see the floor yet.

It happens. More often under the ocean, or in areas with many different biomes.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9187 on: February 27, 2011, 07:51:51 am »

Where is the metal? I downloaded the newest version (.19) and embarked on a mountain with "shallow metal". But so far, in the few levels I dug out, there's no trace of any ore whatsoever. Nothing outside either, and there are a lot of cliffs where a vein could surface. Does the latest version just not have naturally occurring metal ore?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9188 on: February 27, 2011, 08:22:05 am »

yes there is, just dig farther outwards, that or it's in another biome
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9189 on: February 27, 2011, 08:37:52 am »

.19 totally changed the distribution of metallic ores.  Many sites will have none at all.  Some sites will have a whole bunch of just one type of ore.  I don't think people have played enough to figure out precisely what "shallow" means yet.  (I.e., how deep -- 5 levels?  15 levels?  Measuring from where?  I don't believe anyone but Toady knows.)

I suggest that while you're poking around looking for local metal, you make plans based on finding none.  Make wooden crossbows and bolts, hunt some wildlife, harvest its bones, and then make bone bolts.  Leather armor's better than none.  Wooden shields are better than none.  I have no idea how effective bone armor is, but it's another option.  Ask your liaison for all the metallic stuff you never used to have to ask for.  Even ask him for (*gasp*) armor and weapons.  Yeah, I know, it's totally backwards....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9190 on: February 27, 2011, 08:43:41 am »

You HAVE to have the corpse right by the butchers shop, usually in a refuse pile.

It has to be close to a butcher's shop. I have no idea how close, but the closer the better.  You can designate a garbage zone right outside the door and dump it there.  (Don't forget to unforbid it.)

It most definitely does NOT have to be in a refuse stockpile.  I never make one of those.  The only thing it would ever have been used for would have been all those vermin remains that stank up the place, but vermin remains stopped producing miasma many versions ago.  That just leaves the useless nerve tissue and cartilage left over after butchering.  I dump those into my real garbage dump so their miasma won't bother anyone.

Also remember that you can bring the mountain to Mohammed.  That is,  you can build a butcher's shop right next to the corpse if you want.  In some cases that will be faster than hauling the corpse around (for certain very large corpses).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9191 on: February 27, 2011, 09:55:23 am »

Do baron's consorts still do work? I want to appoint my expedition leader as the baron but he's married to our only woodcutter, so would the woodcutter still woodcut?

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9192 on: February 27, 2011, 10:33:29 am »

.19 totally changed the distribution of metallic ores.  Many sites will have none at all.  Some sites will have a whole bunch of just one type of ore.  I don't think people have played enough to figure out precisely what "shallow" means yet.  (I.e., how deep -- 5 levels?  15 levels?  Measuring from where?  I don't believe anyone but Toady knows.)

I suggest that while you're poking around looking for local metal, you make plans based on finding none.  Make wooden crossbows and bolts, hunt some wildlife, harvest its bones, and then make bone bolts.  Leather armor's better than none.  Wooden shields are better than none.  I have no idea how effective bone armor is, but it's another option.  Ask your liaison for all the metallic stuff you never used to have to ask for.  Even ask him for (*gasp*) armor and weapons.  Yeah, I know, it's totally backwards....
That sucks. Does Toady have any plans for improving the availability of ores to at least 40d levels? I don't want to trip over a vein on every step like in .18, but if the fucking caravan can have all kinds of metal in large quantities, then I'd better be allowed to have some too! Trading is undwarvenly!

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9193 on: February 27, 2011, 11:23:21 am »

Trading is undwarvenly!

Actually, the plan is for you to trade. In the meantime, Look for embarks with both "shallow metals" and "deep metals", preferably in multiple biomes.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9194 on: February 27, 2011, 11:35:57 am »

Trading with elves is undwarvenly!

Fixed.

Embark in heavy forest. Request all iron/pig-iron/steel bars from caravan. Cut down all trees, and burn them into charcoal. Melt all metal toys for make better military.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 1178