Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 610 611 [612] 613 614 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115033 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9165 on: February 26, 2011, 05:55:49 pm »

Does .19 fix the issue of things trying to "use" soap by, well, eating it? Just curious so I know if I should just remove infections to remove the problem of making soap and then getting spammed with messages of things trying to eat them.

This problem only occurs when the soap is not stored in a hospital.  If you build a lot of chests in your hospital zone, and let your dwarves store the soap in the hospital, they will use the soap successfully.  And it's not that they're eating it, it's that they're trying to use the soap to clean themselves, but can't figure out how.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ZackTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
  • A wild Game Developer has appeared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9166 on: February 26, 2011, 06:09:54 pm »

Hello. I am trying to create a military in my fort, but every time I assign someone to be in any position of the military they get unhappy. I don't have any dwarfs that specialize in military stuff, so how do I go about creating a military without causing tantrums from unhappiness?
Dwarves are like Spartans... only more stupid, and more drunk.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9167 on: February 26, 2011, 06:22:26 pm »

If the "drafted" bad thought is causing tantrums, then your dwarves simply aren't happy enough.
Try making a legendary dining room, or giving all your military dwarves nice rooms.

ZackTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
  • A wild Game Developer has appeared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9168 on: February 26, 2011, 07:03:05 pm »

If the "drafted" bad thought is causing tantrums, then your dwarves simply aren't happy enough.
Try making a legendary dining room, or giving all your military dwarves nice rooms.
Ok, thank you.
Dwarves are like Spartans... only more stupid, and more drunk.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9169 on: February 26, 2011, 07:32:34 pm »

Hello. I am trying to create a military in my fort, but every time I assign someone to be in any position of the military they get unhappy. I don't have any dwarfs that specialize in military stuff, so how do I go about creating a military without causing tantrums from unhappiness?

One way to do it is try to hold on long enough for an immigration wave.  You usually get at least one or two dwarves with combat skills.  But if they have no civilian skills they'll complain when they are relieved of duty.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9170 on: February 26, 2011, 08:44:24 pm »

I've heard that putting floor grates near your well will prevent muck from accumulating. Does there have to be an open space under the grates? If not, will the well collapse when I channel all the eight squares around it?

Grates used to prevent the buildup of contamination, but they don't in the current version.  Pools of blood, vomit, and forgotten beast poison will sit right on top of grates as if they were solid floor.

Perhaps you could briefly post about this problem in the Future of the Fortress thread? Toady said that bug fixes are his priority right now, but isn't this about a very useful bug workaround that suddenly stopped working as of .19 ?

Anyway, to prevent the bugged contaminant system from creating too much Fun or ruining their FPS, many players use the DFcleanmap tool from the DFHack pack to remove them periodically.

If you don't like to cheat with a tool, however, the simplest in-game solution might be a Dwarven Atom Smasher:
Magmawiki > DF2010:Well
Dwarves will use the well to wash themselves. This means that if dwarves are exposed to contaminants such as blood, it may accumulate around your well. Deadly contaminants from Forgotten Beasts can and will accumulate around your wells, too. Wells in highly trafficked areas can become death traps this way, quickly spreading the syndrome to your entire fort. One approach to decontamination is to build wells off the beaten path, in a nook limiting access to one tile, and placing a drawbridge atom smasher over that tile. Whenever a dwarf leaves a mess by a well, lock the access doors and smash that mess with a bridge. Another approach involves flooding the area around the well and draining the excess water off screen somehow. Removing the contaminants from the map is the only sure way to deal with them permanently and stop them from killing your FPS, and your dwarfs if they are deadly.

Alternatively, I suppose one could design a magma system to destroy the contaminants around a well room periodically.

And, although I haven't tried it, I think a system that uses fortifications on map edge to drain fluid away might be worth trying:
They say you can designate fortifications on edge tiles to drain fluid off the map. --TomiTapio 13:44, 15 July 2010 (UTC)
I've done the fortification trick. If you smooth the edge wall, you can carve fortifications in it and use it to drain an infinite amount of water/magma. 64.255.180.84 16:16, 9 August 2010 (UTC)
The idea is to periodically flush the well room to a drainage at the edge of the map. But that's assuming the contaminates will not get stuck on a fortification like they do on grates in .19.

Where in inits is option for animal population cap? I can't find it. I believe the default is 50, but I'd like to set it to 20.

It's not in the inits.  It appears to be a hard-coded limit in the code.  You can't change it.

Tis a shame... I'm sure more than a few players would appreciate it if this was turned into an init.txt or d_init.txt option. For that matter, I assume this would be extremely simple for Toady to code. (The game would just have to read a variable from init.txt instead of using a constant.) And it's not like doing this would be something that players could abuse or would ruin the atmosphere of the game. We can already control population caps for dwarves and children.

Now that I think about it, I might briefly mention this suggestion in the Future of the Fortress thread...

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9171 on: February 26, 2011, 10:02:30 pm »

I've got a few dead elk birds lying around but my butcher says there are no butcherable unrotten nearby item ... any tips on what im doing wrong?
It's easy when you're big in Japan. Eastern sea so blue ...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9172 on: February 26, 2011, 10:05:44 pm »

Is it in a refuse stockpile near the butchers?

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9173 on: February 26, 2011, 10:13:09 pm »

Nope, just laying around on the ground. Ones in a cave the other at the surface. Last time around I had to dump the corpse and reclaim it for the butcher to do his thing.

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #9174 on: February 26, 2011, 10:22:14 pm »

Could be too far away - like when a hunter leaves a kill behind because he's out of ammo, or needs sleep, and then nobody collects it. Try permitting outdoor refuse (o-r-o), being careful that you don't have a thousand other corpses unforbidden that your dwarves will steal.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9175 on: February 26, 2011, 10:22:56 pm »

You HAVE to have the corpse right by the butchers shop, usually in a refuse pile.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9176 on: February 26, 2011, 10:26:52 pm »

Thanks for the wisdom and quick replies.

mszegedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9177 on: February 27, 2011, 12:34:49 am »

Can goblins scale ramps (in the first year)?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9178 on: February 27, 2011, 12:45:53 am »

Can goblins scale ramps (in the first year)?
Yes, all creatures that are capable of movement may go anywhere your dwarves can go.

Reiven

• Bay Watcher
  • Taken by a fey mood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9179 on: February 27, 2011, 12:56:10 am »

Little questions!

So... My fishers have brought in a crap ton of turtles...

and my ducks and hens have laid crap tons of eggs...

There is turtle meat and eggs everywhere in my store pile...

And they wont eat it?

In the mean time, I'm slaughtering cavies and rabbits only to realize they don't yield anything but bones and skulls... Which eliminates my start with "rabbits and cavies for food!" idea.

How do I get them to eat the turtle meat and eggs?
So the Dwarf was out chopping down a tree with her baby...
Pages: 1 ... 610 611 [612] 613 614 ... 1178