Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1114889 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9150 on: February 26, 2011, 01:44:09 pm »

i started on a region with pillars in the sky and tower cap mushrooms in the open, half of the floor said "moss floor" stuff etc

the moment i unpause the whole map crashes down into gigantic pikes and stuff, fps keeps being sub 10, while normally i easily get 100 fps in an average fort (i have 5 miners (2 died the first second of embark) doing the slomo atm) what was going on?
you've got a bugged embark. just try playing through, or you can abandon.

I have a question: I noticed with the new updates early goblin sieges ocurr. I have 20 dwarfs in a fortress and I got a goblin siege. I'd like to play  a relaxed game for a while and I'd like for sieges to start like in older versions,  at 50 population (or something like that). Is there any way to do this?
Is your game modded? Check out entity_default for goblins - there should be a siege population of "3" (80 dwarves) or "2" (50 dwarves). If that doesn't work, try going into g_init.txt and turning off sieges.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9151 on: February 26, 2011, 01:49:10 pm »

Does .19 fix the issue of things trying to "use" soap by, well, eating it? Just curious so I know if I should just remove infections to remove the problem of making soap and then getting spammed with messages of things trying to eat them.

Galandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9152 on: February 26, 2011, 01:52:20 pm »

I have a question: I noticed with the new updates early goblin sieges ocurr. I have 20 dwarfs in a fortress and I got a goblin siege. I'd like to play  a relaxed game for a while and I'd like for sieges to start like in older versions,  at 50 population (or something like that). Is there any way to do this?
Is your game modded? Check out entity_default for goblins - there should be a siege population of "3" (80 dwarves) or "2" (50 dwarves). If that doesn't work, try going into g_init.txt and turning off sieges.

EDIT: Ok I found the entity_default folder but the population is already at 3   ([PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]), do I have to also change this script just below the population? ([PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:0]).

Anyway I'd like to shut down the sieges entirely now just to make sure, how do I accomplish this?

Where do I find "entity_default"?. And I couldn't find   g_init, only  d_init and there was nothing about sieges. Am I just blind?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:01:13 pm by Galandor »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9153 on: February 26, 2011, 02:39:56 pm »

Does .19 fix the issue of things trying to "use" soap by, well, eating it? Just curious so I know if I should just remove infections to remove the problem of making soap and then getting spammed with messages of things trying to eat them.
Not sure. Safer to not make soap at all :P

EDIT: Ok I found the entity_default folder but the population is already at 3   ([PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]), do I have to also change this script just below the population? ([PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:0]).
NO. This may will result in sieges within the first year.

Anyway I'd like to shut down the sieges entirely now just to make sure, how do I accomplish this?

d_init is what I meant. That would be the [INVADERS:ONOFF] tag.

I suggest you download the Lazy Newb Pack, it does a lot of things automatically for you (look at my sig, last line), hell even I use it.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9154 on: February 26, 2011, 02:46:07 pm »

Do you have bees? Each individual bee is worth 1 dorfbuck, and hives can typically contain over 20k bees. I've heard reports that goblin ambushes can happen before the first dwarven caravan if you spend your spring collecting bees.

Galandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9155 on: February 26, 2011, 02:46:19 pm »

NO. This may will result in sieges within the first year.

d_init is what I meant. That would be the [INVADERS:ONOFF] tag.

I suggest you download the Lazy Newb Pack, it does a lot of things automatically for you (look at my sig, last line), hell even I use it.

:D THANK YOU!!!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9156 on: February 26, 2011, 02:48:51 pm »

welcome. ;D

Do you have bees? Each individual bee is worth 1 dorfbuck, and hives can typically contain over 20k bees. I've heard reports that goblin ambushes can happen before the first dwarven caravan if you spend your spring collecting bees.
This. I do this on purpose sometimes to test how quickly goblins die in my automatic traps.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9157 on: February 26, 2011, 03:38:12 pm »

Question: Where is the new megabeast 'Roc' entry in the RAWs?

Much appreciated.
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9158 on: February 26, 2011, 04:05:44 pm »

So I noticed that the caravan brings me vermin meat...how exactly do I get my dwarves to turn vermin remains into eatable stuff, and is there a way to prevent them from putting the blood in barrels?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9159 on: February 26, 2011, 04:06:31 pm »

You can't butcher vermin.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9160 on: February 26, 2011, 04:18:25 pm »

I've heard that putting floor grates near your well will prevent muck from accumulating. Does there have to be an open space under the grates? If not, will the well collapse when I channel all the eight squares around it?

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9161 on: February 26, 2011, 04:25:28 pm »

Where in inits is option for animal population cap? I can't find it. I believe the default is 50, but I'd like to set it to 20.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9162 on: February 26, 2011, 04:34:03 pm »

Much appreciated.
I have no idea. All I knew about the Roc before Urist McCastleDude sent me to kill one is that the Fleet Air Arm has a comical turret-fighter by that name in the 1930s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Roc

I thought it was just another seabird, like the Fulmar or Skua. "Why are you sending me a week's walk away to kill some kind of large seagull?"
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9163 on: February 26, 2011, 05:08:52 pm »

I recommend reading both DF2010:Soap and DF2010 Talk:Soap (and perhaps even DF2010:Cleaning)... even if you've already made up your mind to not produce soap. It's useful info, if only to understand how badly soap and lye are bugged and the workarounds to be able to use them successfully. (Lye is also used to make potash, which can be used as fertilizer.) Some details:
  • It sounds like the "[dwarf] cancels clean self:Area inaccessible" bug might still exist. But no report yet on whether or not it is still an issue in 31.19: bug# 1023.
  • Lye barrels that are in a stockpile cannot be used in .19.
  • Lye that is in buckets may not be used; it is not yet clear whether this bug has been (partially) fixed in .19. (Seems to be a bug where some water is left in a bucket, then lye is added to water bucket and it becomes unusable, either for lye or for anything else.)
Anyway, some players swear by the importance of soap to prevent infection in wounded, claiming it is safe to produce as long as it is stored in a chest in the hospital zone. And some temporarily unforbid soap, forcing dirty dwarves to wade through a hall of water to get to the soap and cleaning themselves without soap in the process, re-forbidding soap afterwards.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:12:09 pm by Thundercraft »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9164 on: February 26, 2011, 05:52:54 pm »

Rocs are the last creature listed in creature_standard.txt.

So I noticed that the caravan brings me vermin meat...how exactly do I get my dwarves to turn vermin remains into eatable stuff, and is there a way to prevent them from putting the blood in barrels?

You cannot butcher vermin.  And you can't put blood in barrels.  Caravans will bring you vermin meat and barrels of blood.  This is presumably a bug, but can't be changed or fixed without a new DF release.

I've heard that putting floor grates near your well will prevent muck from accumulating. Does there have to be an open space under the grates? If not, will the well collapse when I channel all the eight squares around it?

Grates used to prevent the buildup of contamination, but they don't in the current version.  Pools of blood, vomit, and forgotten beast poison will sit right on top of grates as if they were solid floor.

Where in inits is option for animal population cap? I can't find it. I believe the default is 50, but I'd like to set it to 20.

It's not in the inits.  It appears to be a hard-coded limit in the code.  You can't change it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 1178