Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1114922 times)

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9120 on: February 25, 2011, 10:50:54 pm »

Why do miners max out with different experience totals? Therapist says ones at 20 with 29.9k and the other at 20 with 31.4k
It's easy when you're big in Japan. Eastern sea so blue ...

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9121 on: February 25, 2011, 11:10:44 pm »

Also, be aware that turning off all three caverns will also turn off all underground plants. You will never get seeds, so you will never be able to farm underground.

You cannot plant your own stuff from existing seeds you bring?

-MB

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #9122 on: February 25, 2011, 11:15:19 pm »

The dwarves wouldn't bring seeds because their home civ wouldn't have seeds, because the plants underground wouldn't exist to give the seeds.

I think they're set to use exclusively underground seeds too, so they wouldn't go to aboveground seeds.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9123 on: February 25, 2011, 11:15:43 pm »

Also, be aware that turning off all three caverns will also turn off all underground plants. You will never get seeds, so you will never be able to farm underground.

You cannot plant your own stuff from existing seeds you bring?

-MB
Underground flora won't exist in the first place. No underground plants, trees, GCS, etc.
Why do miners max out with different experience totals? Therapist says ones at 20 with 29.9k and the other at 20 with 31.4k
They continue to accumulate experience, even though there's only 20 skill levels.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9124 on: February 25, 2011, 11:46:27 pm »

What are the penalties for killing dwarf merchants/guards?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9125 on: February 26, 2011, 12:19:09 am »

Depends on the method. If you flood the depot or use some similar indirect method, then the mountainhomes will just send you less stuff next year because profits were so bad. If you use kill orders, you'll cause a loyalty cascade. Basically, the dwarf that does the deed will be labeled an enemy of the civ but will still be a member of the fortress. Thus, other dwarves will flee/attack him because he is an enemy of the civ, but if a dwarf succeeds in killing him they'll be killing a fortress member, and will become an enemy of the fortress. They will, in turn, be fled/fought by the other dwarves. That cycle will repeat until everyone is dead. From personal experience, it is quite amusing and is a good way to end a fort you're bored with.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: February 26, 2011, 12:21:35 am »

Depends on the method. If you flood the depot or use some similar indirect method, then the mountainhomes will just send you less stuff next year because profits were so bad. If you use kill orders, you'll cause a loyalty cascade. Basically, the dwarf that does the deed will be labeled an enemy of the civ but will still be a member of the fortress. Thus, other dwarves will flee/attack him because he is an enemy of the civ, but if a dwarf succeeds in killing him they'll be killing a fortress member, and will become an enemy of the fortress. They will, in turn, be fled/fought by the other dwarves. That cycle will repeat until everyone is dead. From personal experience, it is quite amusing and is a good way to end a fort you're bored with.

What if I drive them insane first by locking them in with a drawbridge?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #9127 on: February 26, 2011, 12:30:48 am »

Can child dwarves adopt pets?

EDIT: Yes, yes they can.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 12:52:17 am by Seriyu »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: February 26, 2011, 12:41:40 am »

What if I drive them insane first by locking them in with a drawbridge?

That is a very good question. My gut says that if they go berserk they will no longer be members of their parent civ, and will be fair game. I'm not at all sure about melancholy/babbling though. I propose SCIENCE!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: February 26, 2011, 02:47:17 am »

the above is true, based on my own and others' experIENCE>
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: February 26, 2011, 05:24:37 am »

My game is crashing whenever i try to load my safe, how do i load it without crashing? :/
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: February 26, 2011, 05:28:48 am »

My game is crashing whenever i try to load my safe, how do i load it without crashing? :/

need more information.

Is it possible to build up a 7/7 tile of blood, or will it just be thousands of "pool of blood"?
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: February 26, 2011, 05:35:08 am »

The big question is,
if it is a save from the current version or if one from an earlier version of DF.

(either way I assume that you cannot restore your save....probably it has become corrupted, or, if save from an older version, perhaps the current version has problems with some things...there is however an options in the DF-Init file, which tells DF to make backups of your saves; enabling this might prevent such problems in the future, as you can always try the backup save)

As for the blood question...
blood doesn´t behave like water,
each spatter/pool of blood is treated like a separate object, which cannot merge with other spatters/pools,
therefore the tile will only accumulate spatters and pools of blood
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:38:46 am by Proteus »

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: February 26, 2011, 05:39:21 am »

The save is from current version. Maybe it's corrupted because my power supply failed just after save, i mean from the main menu after saving yesterday?  Is there any way to uncurrupt the save or at least get the worl from there? :/
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: February 26, 2011, 05:45:03 am »

The save is from current version. Maybe it's corrupted because my power supply failed just after save, i mean from the main menu after saving yesterday?  Is there any way to uncurrupt the save or at least get the worl from there? :/
It's more likely the program is corrupted. try re-downloading it.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 1178