Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115110 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9090 on: February 24, 2011, 08:57:30 pm »

At the moment, grazing animals will eat staring eyeball and wormy tendril grass as if it were normal with no ill effects.  I'm hoping this will change in the future, but at the moment it's just cosmetic.

They addressed this in the latest DFtalk. There are definitely plans for it. Big plans. Consumed Syndromes need to be implemented first. Then I bet Gnomeblight will get better as well.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9091 on: February 24, 2011, 10:00:56 pm »

All my nobles died (along with everyone but a single child, who luckily lived until a migrant wave) and now nothing appears on the nobles screen. There is no list, and I can't create a militia commander. How do I get the list back?

EDIT: The problem seems to be that I have no expedition leader. How do I get one of the migrants to accept the responsibility?

<enter> or <r> Doesn't assign an expedition leader? I've never had that happen, but I have replaced my expedition leader this way numerous times.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: February 24, 2011, 10:16:06 pm »

All my nobles died (along with everyone but a single child, who luckily lived until a migrant wave) and now nothing appears on the nobles screen. There is no list, and I can't create a militia commander. How do I get the list back?

EDIT: The problem seems to be that I have no expedition leader. How do I get one of the migrants to accept the responsibility?

<enter> or <r> Doesn't assign an expedition leader? I've never had that happen, but I have replaced my expedition leader this way numerous times.
I wonder if it's because there was a mayor before almost everyone died. Expedition leaders can be replaced but mayors can't, and mayors replace the expedition leader position.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: February 24, 2011, 10:54:54 pm »

I wonder if it's because there was a mayor before almost everyone died. Expedition leaders can be replaced but mayors can't, and mayors replace the expedition leader position.

Mayors can be replaced. I regularly replace mine because the idiot dwarves keep choosing the wrong people.

Democracy is for elves.

Mkombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: February 24, 2011, 11:46:30 pm »

Can I fish underground, more importantly.. can you fish one Z level above water? (open space)

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9095 on: February 24, 2011, 11:54:07 pm »

Mayors can be replaced. I regularly replace mine because the idiot dwarves keep choosing the wrong people.

Democracy is for elves.

Shouldn't you be able to make a commander from the military screen?
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: February 25, 2011, 12:07:49 am »

Should, I don't know about.

Can, no. You name a commander in the nobles screen, then switch to the military screen and create a new squad. Your new militia commander shows up then, in slot one of the new squad.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9097 on: February 25, 2011, 12:08:19 am »

Can I fish underground, more importantly.. can you fish one Z level above water? (open space)

If you mean a river, lake, or cavern then yes. I'm not sure about artificial irrigation, didn't have any fisherdwarfs when I dug out my artificial river :(

But if you want, in the name of science, to build a series of up/down staircases that end at a down staircase above the cavern lake to see if a dwarf will fish, then by all means tell us how it goes. Also, I have never gotten a dwarf to fish in the caverns, they always prefer rivers and lakes.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9098 on: February 25, 2011, 12:14:44 am »

Should, I don't know about.

Can, no. You name a commander in the nobles screen, then switch to the military screen and create a new squad. Your new militia commander shows up then, in slot one of the new squad.

I've never had a problem creating the squad and then assigning a commander to it...

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9099 on: February 25, 2011, 01:23:16 am »

Say I build a floor out of olivine, then obsidianize that tile. What happens to the olivine?

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: February 25, 2011, 01:44:36 am »

Say I build a floor out of olivine, then obsidianize that tile. What happens to the olivine?

As i understand it, gone.

Mkombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9101 on: February 25, 2011, 01:55:37 am »

If you mean a river, lake, or cavern then yes. I'm not sure about artificial irrigation, didn't have any fisherdwarfs when I dug out my artificial river :(

But if you want, in the name of science, to build a series of up/down staircases that end at a down staircase above the cavern lake to see if a dwarf will fish, then by all means tell us how it goes. Also, I have never gotten a dwarf to fish in the caverns, they always prefer rivers and lakes.

I did it! Well sort of. I think this will work for a cavern too. I just put a floor grate over the water (one z level up), then made the grate a fishing zone. Voila! Dwarves now fish using the grate! Thanks for believing in me haha.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9102 on: February 25, 2011, 06:42:00 am »

Magma is supposed to warm adjacent tiles: up, down and all 8 horizontal directions.

Question: Are tiles directly above or below a pump warmed while the pump is pumping magma?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9103 on: February 25, 2011, 09:24:06 am »

Question about stocks screen: there are 2 columns - white and red.
From wiki: number available or in use normally, and number of restricted items.
What does it mean "restricted" and "available"? Which one counts owned items? What with tasked?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9104 on: February 25, 2011, 09:54:06 am »

Magma is supposed to warm adjacent tiles: up, down and all 8 horizontal directions.

Question: Are tiles directly above or below a pump warmed while the pump is pumping magma?
Don't think so, it's just every tile that magma is actively touching.
Question about stocks screen: there are 2 columns - white and red.
From wiki: number available or in use normally, and number of restricted items.
What does it mean "restricted" and "available"? Which one counts owned items? What with tasked?
White means how many you have immediate access to. Red means that they're not. Reasons can include being forbidden, issued a dump command, ordered to be melted, being used as a construction or building, or a combination of all of those.
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 1178