Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115448 times)

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8955 on: February 20, 2011, 10:51:50 pm »

How does a dwarf discriminate between assigned weapons? Can you assign a ranged weapon and a melee weapon both to a dwarf and have them use the melee weapon as a backup? Can you give a dwarf two different weapons at once?
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8956 on: February 20, 2011, 11:27:58 pm »

You can only assign one weapon at a time.  If you give a dwarf a ranged weapon he'll use it to melee if necessary.

When used in melee, crossbows use the hammerdwarf skill and bows and blowguns use swordsdwarf.  A steel crossbow can make a passable hammer.

The problem, of course, is that your archers tend to have poor melee skills.

Edit: There are reports of dwarves carrying multiple weapons but this is a bug and I'm not sure how the mechanics work in that case.  If it's anything like the older versions, a dwarf will only use one weapon at a time.

Reiven

• Bay Watcher
  • Taken by a fey mood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8957 on: February 20, 2011, 11:44:33 pm »

I have a skilled Siege Op in a secretive mood.

I have a Craftdwarf's workshop, Mechanic's shop, Furnace and Metalsmith's Forge...

He has yet to claim a shop.

He's a novice in some other things...  but nothing that warrants anything other than a Craftdwarf's workshop...

Any ideas?
So the Dwarf was out chopping down a tree with her baby...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: February 20, 2011, 11:57:49 pm »

Is the forge magma?
If all else fails, just build one of everything.

Reiven

• Bay Watcher
  • Taken by a fey mood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: February 21, 2011, 12:00:57 am »

Haven't gotten deep enough for Magma.  Fort is only two years old o.O

Just read that they can be picky about magma vs regular...

Looks like it's time to stage my tiny militia around the poor guy in case he goes homicidal...

Thanks. :)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: February 21, 2011, 12:02:12 am »

Siege Operator isn't moodable.

What other skills does he have?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: February 21, 2011, 12:25:26 am »

I wish it does. The legendary shot for a catapult will punch a 7x7 hole upon contact and the legendary shot for ballistae will annihilate any walls or raised bridges in its path and adjacent tiles. However the mood will fail if the dwarf in question is unable to lock onto sufficient target (which covers anything that move) in 1-2 months.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: February 21, 2011, 12:28:29 am »

I wish it does. The legendary shot for a catapult will punch a 7x7 hole upon contact and the legendary shot for ballistae will annihilate any walls or raised bridges in its path and adjacent tiles. However the mood will fail if the dwarf in question is unable to lock onto sufficient target (which covers anything that move) in 1-2 months.

You tell such beautiful beautiful lies.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Reiven

• Bay Watcher
  • Taken by a fey mood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: February 21, 2011, 12:30:36 am »

He's currently a Novice in..
Tanner
Miller
Thresher
Brewer
Clothier
Cheesemaker
Milker
Cook
Grower
Herbalist

Dabbling Woodburner
Dabbling Mechanic

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: February 21, 2011, 12:35:29 am »

It'll be either clothier or tanner so build a leatherworks and clothier's workshop.

Reiven

• Bay Watcher
  • Taken by a fey mood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: February 21, 2011, 12:43:57 am »

Yup, it was LWers shop. I placed it, but the construction was suspended for some reason.

TY TY!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: February 21, 2011, 04:37:27 am »

It's often difficult to tell which skill is mooding, use Dwarf Therapist to tell exactly which skill is the most, uh, skilled and cross-check with the wiki to find out if its moodable.

Unfortunately there are some bugs with some skills (armourer, glassmaker) but if you build one of every workshop including a metalsmiths forge and glassmaker's forge, (not magma versions) then you know you'll be covered for all types of moods.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: February 21, 2011, 09:55:55 pm »

In .18 I've recently had a lot of problems with my dwarves not grabbing all their gear, which was never a problem in any of my other forts. The gear is right there in the stockpile, unforbidden. Sometimes they'll grab everything except for their weapon, or just won't equip breastplates. I've also been unable to get marksdwarves to train when I've normally had absolutely no issues with them training. They just won't pick up their crossbows and quivers and ammo and they say "Soldier Cannot Follow Order." I've given them ranges, I've set the correct shooting angle "Top to Bottom." They won't do it. Why?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:59:15 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8968 on: February 21, 2011, 11:27:11 pm »

In .18 I've recently had a lot of problems with my dwarves not grabbing all their gear, which was never a problem in any of my other forts. The gear is right there in the stockpile, unforbidden. Sometimes they'll grab everything except for their weapon, or just won't equip breastplates. I've also been unable to get marksdwarves to train when I've normally had absolutely no issues with them training. They just won't pick up their crossbows and quivers and ammo and they say "Soldier Cannot Follow Order." I've given them ranges, I've set the correct shooting angle "Top to Bottom." They won't do it. Why?

So far I've never used marksdwarves in .31, but I share your equipment-related problems. Telling them to equip socks with their boots results in two socks and no boot on one foot, and no socks and one boot on the other. When told to wear two caps under their helmets, some wore only one cap, or not caps, under their helmets. I've never had problems as serious as not equipping breastplates, though.

Noctriate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8969 on: February 22, 2011, 12:58:16 am »

Is there any distinct difference or dis/advantage to playing a 2,000+ year old world than the standard -1,050?
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 1178