Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115505 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8925 on: February 20, 2011, 08:43:02 am »

What are the odds of getting "normal" animals in an evil area? I'm thinking about embarking on a "haunted" tropical shrubland and I'm wondering if all elephants will be undead or not. Not only is the ability of catching some of them for breeding the main point of embarking on tropical shrublands or forests, but undead are only a petty nuisance, and hence a waste of time, in the current version.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8926 on: February 20, 2011, 08:43:58 am »

So, in order for a Bee hive to be successful, all it needs is to be in an outside tile, right? Does it matter if it's built on, or covered by, a floor?

Well, and I'm going off of how windmills work here, I would say completely uncovered. Windmills need to be "outside" and stop spinning when you cover certain of their tiles with a floor (or anything else), no matter how many z levels up they are "covered".
In answer to my own question, yes, the hive can be successful even when it's Inside. However, the test was done with the hive being built upon natural above-ground soil.

It states that it needs "Outdoor access", so it's the Above-ground tag that's probably needed, not the Outside tag.

Hm. I stand corrected. Thank you for testing.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8927 on: February 20, 2011, 09:39:13 am »

So a wild turkey laid eggs in one of my nest boxes. I forbid my dwarves from taking them out...what now? Do I build cage traps around the nest box and hope for the best when the little buggers hatch?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8928 on: February 20, 2011, 09:56:06 am »

What are the odds of getting "normal" animals in an evil area? I'm thinking about embarking on a "haunted" tropical shrubland and I'm wondering if all elephants will be undead or not. Not only is the ability of catching some of them for breeding the main point of embarking on tropical shrublands or forests, but undead are only a petty nuisance, and hence a waste of time, in the current version.
If trees aren't dead, yes, you can get normal animals. Haven't stuck around in an area that started with dead trees, but I'd imagine they still would.

Edit: Answering question:
So a wild turkey laid eggs in one of my nest boxes. I forbid my dwarves from taking them out...what now? Do I build cage traps around the nest box and hope for the best when the little buggers hatch?
That's what I'd do.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8929 on: February 20, 2011, 10:03:42 am »

If trees aren't dead, yes, you can get normal animals. Haven't stuck around in an area that started with dead trees, but I'd imagine they still would.

Grazing might be a bit interesting, though. What with the eyeball flowers and tentaclegrass and all.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: February 20, 2011, 10:06:12 am »

Grazing might be a bit interesting, though. What with the eyeball flowers and tentaclegrass and all.

I'm playing .18 (.19 seems, from what I've seen, a bit too unpolished for my taste) so I'm not worried about grazing. From what you're saying there's no way of knowing what animals I'll get until I actually start playing? That's less than ideal, though as long as I'll get data as soon as I arrive that should be good enough.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8931 on: February 20, 2011, 10:30:03 am »

How many frames are in a dwarven day?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8932 on: February 20, 2011, 10:33:43 am »

Do scales do anything yet?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8933 on: February 20, 2011, 11:04:17 am »

Is dacite magma safe?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: February 20, 2011, 11:26:22 am »

My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: February 20, 2011, 11:46:15 am »

magmawiki says no.
Magmawiki uses the information out of the raws. The raws themselves say nothing. There's no temperature setting for dacite.

So, again, is dacite magma safe?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8936 on: February 20, 2011, 12:03:44 pm »

magmawiki says no.
Magmawiki uses the information out of the raws. The raws themselves say nothing. There's no temperature setting for dacite.

So, again, is dacite magma safe?

a)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inheritance_%28object-oriented_programming%29

b)[INORGANIC:DACITE] [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]

c)Raws for [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]:

[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
   These are the state names, adjectives and colors for the material.
   [STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:GRAY]
   [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:stone]
   [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:stone]
   [STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:ORANGE]
   [STATE_NAME:LIQUID:magma]
   [STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:magma]
   [STATE_COLOR:GAS:ORANGE]
   [STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling magma]
   [STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling magma]
   [DISPLAY_COLOR:7:0:0]
   The modifier used to all values involving the material.
   [MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
   Temperature information.
   [SPEC_HEAT:800]
   [IGNITE_POINT:NONE]
   [MELTING_POINT:11500]
   [BOILING_POINT:14000]
   [HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]
   [COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]
   [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:NONE]
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8937 on: February 20, 2011, 12:08:47 pm »

To clarify. dactite uses the generci stone properties unless the raws for dactite itself overwrite it. They do not, so it uses normal meltiness.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8938 on: February 20, 2011, 12:10:19 pm »

Quick, noobish question: Stone lying around won't do anything but look stupid. It won't block space in my stockpiles, right?

I always clear away stones before designating stockpiles so I never actually bothered with testing this.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8939 on: February 20, 2011, 12:16:37 pm »

Typically stones stop dwarves from putting things in a stockpile.  Full barrels seem to be an exception I've noticed.
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 1178