Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115561 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8895 on: February 19, 2011, 07:50:25 pm »

Does anyone know where I can find a non-modded, non-Phoebus graphics and tile set for 31.19, or whether or not any are available yet..?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8896 on: February 19, 2011, 08:14:20 pm »

Does anyone know where I can find a non-modded, non-Phoebus graphics and tile set for 31.19, or whether or not any are available yet..?
Check the modding forum. I think Ironhand has one, too. Not sure about Mayday's, but he's working on it I'm sure.

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8897 on: February 19, 2011, 08:34:40 pm »

How do you release an animal from a cage? Sad to admit, I read the wiki and I'm still confused. I bought a bear that's tame, what will happen if it's released?

You have to build the cage (press x when selecting the cage to be built in order to see where your bear is, assuming you have more than one), go to the building properties and unassign the bear.

What will happen is that you're going to get an animal that can be butchered, bred, made available for adoption or trained. This is only because bears are non-exotic pets. If they were exotic, you would need the bugged Dungeon Master to do anything other than butcher them, though you could always mod your exotic pets to be non-exotic. To do so, replace any appropriate creature's [PET_EXOTIC] tag with [PET] in its respective creature_*.txt file in your raw\objects\ folder. This also works post-embark if you apply the change to your given save's raw folder.

So, if I want to eat all those Naked Mole Dogs that came out of the sewers to meet a line of cage traps just now, I need to Build a cage, Assign the mole-dog to it, then... butcher. I'm still stuck on how to butcher cage trap victims!
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8898 on: February 19, 2011, 08:54:53 pm »

You cannot butcher wild animals, you have to tame them first.
Tame animals can be butchered even when outside a cage.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8899 on: February 19, 2011, 08:55:23 pm »

'Butcher' them with your soldiers.  ;D

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8900 on: February 19, 2011, 09:09:07 pm »

So how do I tame, for instance, Naked Mole Dogs? 'Tame small animal' didn't work, nor did 'tame large animal' - there's four of them, in cages in an Animal stockpile, a short distance from the kennels and the butchers.
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8901 on: February 19, 2011, 09:27:22 pm »

So how do I tame, for instance, Naked Mole Dogs? 'Tame small animal' didn't work, nor did 'tame large animal' - there's four of them, in cages in an Animal stockpile, a short distance from the kennels and the butchers.

A lot of wild animals can't be tamed- at least not until you've got a dungeon master, which I've never even got, I don't know if it's even working in the current version. That said, I always build the cages with animals in I want tamed, so that I can easily release them afterwards.

Question of my own, unrelated; I've got a moody dwarf whose highest skill is armoursmith. He won't claim a magma forge. This is in .19. I can't think for the life of me why this should be; I built the forge just after he mooded. Does he need a vanilla forge, like with glassmakers? (I can confirm that the glassmaker mood bug persists in .19.) He is possessed; does that mean it can be any skill?

Also, is Pottery moodable?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8902 on: February 19, 2011, 09:56:57 pm »

He needs a normal forge, I'm pretty sure.

c-106mc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8903 on: February 19, 2011, 10:25:12 pm »

A dwarf that is possessed doesn't get any experience from creating an artifact (at least, from my experience).

My own question:
Has prioty for storage jobs been lowered? It feels like dwarves are taking longer to store things (like food!).

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #8904 on: February 19, 2011, 10:37:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So it's not the new version then, which is good news. The ambush parties seem to be the problem, after they came the FPS dropped down and never went back up. I had two ambushes at opposite ends of the map, one goblin in each party died due to some loyalty issues, and when I went to claim one of their dead I triggered another ambush party of just two goblins. I'm going to try to atom smash a bunch of junk, and if worse comes to worse my first FPS death.

Which is funny, because the FPS was higher than usual when I first started; A nice average of 70 compared to my usual 60.

I don't see any changes in the jobs menu, although if you're making use of the new jobs then you'll no doubt have less haulers.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8905 on: February 19, 2011, 10:46:16 pm »

Yes! That did it.

It is a hollow triumph, though, for in the course of delving for his wishlist, a cave dragon decided to crawl up and molest him, toppling the forge in the process. The dragon was no match for forty untrained, unarmed, unarmoured dwarves though. Is there any way to view the kill list for a deceased cave dragon?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8906 on: February 19, 2011, 11:02:28 pm »

If you're playing 31.18 (I don't know whether it works with 31.19, but you can always test it for !SCIENCE! if you make back-up raws), you can run the noexotics mod, available here. That will remove the exotic tag from all animals and allow you to tame w/o a dungeon master, which is nice since you're never going to get one.

NB: It does not require a world regen for this mod to work; it will work on an already generated world. And although it's possible to mod a DM into the raws as appointable, even having one will not currently allow you to tame exotic animals, so it's currently the mod or nothing.
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

FZE

• Bay Watcher
  • Who are you and what are you doing outside?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8907 on: February 19, 2011, 11:46:25 pm »

Right, quick question, is there any way to disable strange moods in 31.18? I've got an urge to play, but I remembered I stopped playing last time because I was forced to choose between death by spiders or death by insanity when a dwarf in a strange mood demanded silk.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8908 on: February 20, 2011, 12:00:14 am »

yes :\ it's an init option

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8909 on: February 20, 2011, 12:02:19 am »

Is there any use for feathers or skulls?
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 1178