Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118954 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8760 on: February 16, 2011, 04:24:16 pm »

Just dump it in, yes. That worked for me, though it is fairly pointless as hardly any of the new stuff shows up.
Memento Mori

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: February 16, 2011, 04:49:55 pm »

So I should wait for the new phoebus tileset right? I'm a phoebus user. =)

Thanks for answering!

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: February 16, 2011, 04:51:13 pm »

My question: I just made some training axes for my millitary, but I still don't see them sparring. Am I forgetting something?
It takes a while for them to level up enough to spar. Sparring starts at level 3 IIRC (Adequate), go ahead and wait some more. Or danger room.
Also: training axes are usually a waste of time.

Are training axes usually a waste of time because the training sucks? Or is it because axes suck?
If it's just the training method, perhaps cutting down trees makes for better training? (Just wondering...)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: February 16, 2011, 04:54:35 pm »

Training weapons in general are useless for military purposes.
Real weapons can also be used to train without any differences.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: February 16, 2011, 05:07:39 pm »

So I should wait for the new phoebus tileset right? I'm a phoebus user. =)

Thanks for answering!
If you want to continue your current fort, you might as well. There won't be bees at your old fort or different minerals. I think pottery would work if you have clay but I didn't test it.
Memento Mori

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: February 16, 2011, 08:44:38 pm »

Now I have an artifact battle axe!  Yay!  That weighs...less than an Urist.  Hmm.

If I recall correctly, the damage that some weapons do is proportional to weight.  If it weighs nothing, will this artifact axe still be effective in combat?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: February 16, 2011, 08:46:15 pm »

IIRC, only maces and hammers need to be heavy. The axe should be deadly.
Memento Mori

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: February 16, 2011, 08:47:58 pm »

Yes, artifact axes are useful in combat. They're probably the best thing. Weight is a major factor in the damage for blunt weapons, but edged weapons also take edge sharpness into account, and adamantine is basically monomolecular.

Basically, it will kill everything that needs to be killed.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: February 16, 2011, 08:50:14 pm »

monomolecular

I'm experiencing a major Syndicate Wars flashback now. Thanks for that.

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: February 16, 2011, 08:57:29 pm »

Okay, thanks!  I hoped it would be good, but I wasn't sure.  Sometimes you get things like...Damosheldim Agash Shithath "Pitchshadow the Bandit of Perishing," an artifact Bra.  Now all I need is an Urist McMadonna to wear it.  Along with eight other bras and a single sock.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: February 16, 2011, 11:23:38 pm »

In the 40d artifact weapons were the best but in the current versions artifacts are rather useless unless they are made of a decent material.
Artifact steel/ cotton candy axe = awesome
Artifact bone/soapstone axe = decorative at best
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: February 17, 2011, 12:47:07 am »

Yo hey, in the distant past I seem to remember that it was really super fun to mine out an area greater than 7x7 without supports because the ceiling would collapse.  At least, that's what I was told -- I never tried to find out.  Is that still legit?

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: February 17, 2011, 01:14:51 am »

I regularly mine out entire soil layers, leaving just the outside edges and a 3x3 staircase in the middle, no collapsing.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: February 17, 2011, 01:31:41 am »

I regularly mine out entire soil layers, leaving just the outside edges and a 3x3 staircase in the middle, no collapsing.

There still remains the question of what that will do to your framerate. From what I've been told, huge open spaces, especially if they are liable to have plants grow on them, slow your game down.

Question: the wiki says that mining increases willpower and spatial sense, yet my only miner, being legendary+5, only has a good spatial sense and average willpower (I surmise the latter due to it not even being mentioned in her profile). Does this mean that the miner's limits in those attributes have already been reached, or that reaching level 20 in mining still isn't enough to significantly improve a dwarf's stats? I've modded my dwarves in a way that's supposed to prevent skill- and attribute-rust, and at least the former demonstrably works. If anything, that mod should increase the rate at which dwarves gain attributes, and not decrease it, but now I don't know what to think anymore.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: February 17, 2011, 01:52:12 am »

Question: the wiki says that mining increases willpower and spatial sense, yet my only miner, being legendary+5, only has a good spatial sense and average willpower (I surmise the latter due to it not even being mentioned in her profile). Does this mean that the miner's limits in those attributes have already been reached, or that reaching level 20 in mining still isn't enough to significantly improve a dwarf's stats? I've modded my dwarves in a way that's supposed to prevent skill- and attribute-rust, and at least the former demonstrably works. If anything, that mod should increase the rate at which dwarves gain attributes, and not decrease it, but now I don't know what to think anymore.
+stat rate from most tasks are ridiculously low, unlike in 40d. You may consider increasing the rate at which they increase their attributes.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 1178