Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119623 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8715 on: February 14, 2011, 05:47:55 pm »

Hit Crtl+R to record, then Ctrl+S when you are done. If you press Ctrl+L you can select which macro to use and then Ctrl+P plays it.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Macro
Memento Mori

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8716 on: February 14, 2011, 05:54:02 pm »

ah, so designating bedrooms and such?
cool, thanks!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8717 on: February 15, 2011, 05:19:28 am »

I have a blacksmith who is now Legendary +5. However when I ask him to make some goods, he only makes them exceptional quality.

What's up with that?

Also, I'm now getting thousands of 'Weaver cancels Collect Webs, cannot find path'. I've got pages and pages of that.

I've literally looked all over the caverns, and I cannot find any webs they can't now reach. And if they can't reach it. why don't they just go and collect the thousand other webs available? I've even suspended the Collect Webs job on ALL my looms, and still the messages keep coming!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 05:44:29 am by Mantonio »
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

FallenCleric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8718 on: February 15, 2011, 06:10:58 am »

I have a blacksmith who is now Legendary +5. However when I ask him to make some goods, he only makes them exceptional quality.

What's up with that?

Also, I'm now getting thousands of 'Weaver cancels Collect Webs, cannot find path'. I've got pages and pages of that.

I've literally looked all over the caverns, and I cannot find any webs they can't now reach. And if they can't reach it. why don't they just go and collect the thousand other webs available? I've even suspended the Collect Webs job on ALL my looms, and still the messages keep coming!
Check your job screen, maybe Collect Webs is listed there and you'l be able to check where is job generated and where is that web.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8719 on: February 15, 2011, 07:49:10 am »

No matter the skill level, it is not guaranteed to make highest quality items, and as a dwarf gets tired, the quality drops.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8720 on: February 15, 2011, 08:47:46 am »

This happens if there are parts of your caverns unexplored, and webs that are either in the unexplored sections of the caverns, or accessible through the unexplored sections.  You can turn off auto web collection in the orders menu, or you can wall off the unexplored parts of the caverns, or you can send dwarves or animals down there to explore all the unexplored areas.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8721 on: February 15, 2011, 09:35:21 am »

How do you butcher animals that your military kills? My dwarves refuse to buthcer creatures that are killed outside the fort.

This gets problematic because even with the dump command, buzzard are clogging my internal doors. Ditto to dumping goblin skeletons

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8722 on: February 15, 2011, 09:38:52 am »

First, create a refuse stockpile near a butcher's shop.  Corpses seem to be only butchered if they're in a refuse stockpile near a butcher's shop.

Next, turn on gathering of refuse from outside.  Press 'o' to access the orders screen, and 'r' for refuse, then 'o' to enable gathering of refuse from outside.

That will get dwarves to pile corpses in a refuse stockpile.  Corpses will still only be butchered if they're non-rotten, non-sentient, and large enough to yield at least one unit of material.  Goblins won't be butchered because they're sentient.  Buzzard corpses, especially mutilated buzzard corpses, often aren't large enough to be butcherable.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8723 on: February 15, 2011, 09:39:11 am »

Put a corpse refuse pile right next to your butchers shop. Butchers are lazy and won't travel far to get dead things.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8724 on: February 15, 2011, 11:55:22 am »

Got a little question about the archery range.

I made a range with 10 targets, and resized the room to cover all the targets also made sure the shoot direction was right).
But I noticed that the dwarves were coming in 1 by 1 and only using the 1 target (the first target that I selected to 'make archery range').
It wasnt until I selected each individual target and made that into a separate archery range that the dwarves started using them all.

Is that supposed to happen?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8725 on: February 15, 2011, 12:57:39 pm »

It's normal behaviour. Quirky, since dwarves are capable of using multiple beds in a single dormitory without problems, but that is what the game does.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

tekirodevil1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8726 on: February 15, 2011, 04:47:18 pm »

is there a way to specify dwarves to move something to another location...I made a pile room and it was on a stone floor (wasn't thinking) now I can't see the lines because of all the stone is there a way to move out the stone without having to build a huge stone pile and waiting till they get it all or am I SoL?

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8727 on: February 15, 2011, 04:58:10 pm »

How many dwarves can eat at a table at one time? If I position 4 chairs around one table, can all 4 eat at it?
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8728 on: February 15, 2011, 05:08:37 pm »

Only one.  You'd need four tables (and four chairs) to have four dwarves eating.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #8729 on: February 15, 2011, 05:49:29 pm »

Quote from: The Wiki
Multiple dwarves may use the same table, but they will receive a small unhappy thought if this happens. A good general rule of thumb is to have enough tables and chairs to serve one fifth of a fortress' population at any given time. Because dwarves do not eat very often, this should be more than enough to avoid any unhappiness.

Only if you want them to be unhappy and talkative. Bad combination.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 1178