Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115714 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8670 on: February 13, 2011, 09:58:14 pm »

I can't figure out why my aboveground farms say 'no seeds available at this location'. I have them unforbidden in my stockpile and dwarves are walking over them to do other things so they can certainly path there.
Memento Mori

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: February 13, 2011, 10:17:01 pm »

You can also fix the seed problem by only allowing experienced growers plant/harvest.
That way, you get several quarry bushes from one rock nut.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8672 on: February 13, 2011, 10:25:09 pm »

I can't figure out why my aboveground farms say 'no seeds available at this location'. I have them unforbidden in my stockpile and dwarves are walking over them to do other things so they can certainly path there.
Is the farm on actual dirt, or muddied rock?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8673 on: February 13, 2011, 10:41:10 pm »

Is the ethic tag [ACCEPTABLE] required to allow dwarves to process sapients and their skeletons in fortress mode, or would something like [JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON] or [PERSONAL_MATTER] work just as well?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: February 13, 2011, 10:50:01 pm »

Is the farm on actual dirt, or muddied rock?
Muddied rock. I guess that doesn't work aboveground then?  :-\
Memento Mori

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8675 on: February 13, 2011, 10:56:09 pm »

Aboveground crops won't grow on muddied rock, even if it's aboveground muddied rock.  You need soil.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8676 on: February 14, 2011, 12:07:04 am »

If I change the raws for quarry bushes from [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN]  to [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN] [WINTER], can I get quarry bushes to grow in winter?

Yes, that's how those tags work. I'd recommend this mod even without that seed-wasting bug you encountered, as realistically I'd expect an underground environment to be pretty climatically stable over the seasons. Way I understand things, if anything should be limited to specific seasons it's the aboveground crops, not the underground ones.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8677 on: February 14, 2011, 05:08:41 am »

If I change the raws for quarry bushes from [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN]  to [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN] [WINTER], can I get quarry bushes to grow in winter?

Yes, that's how those tags work. I'd recommend this mod even without that seed-wasting bug you encountered, as realistically I'd expect an underground environment to be pretty climatically stable over the seasons. Way I understand things, if anything should be limited to specific seasons it's the aboveground crops, not the underground ones.
What about underground "light"? Plump Helmet, being a mushroom can grow all season, but perhaps cave wheat and etc require higher quantities of light dwarves can't manipulate in winter.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: February 14, 2011, 05:38:07 am »

I didn't exactly pay much attention to that, but I think all underground tiles are marked as dark and you would expect any and all light to be supplied via torches, which don't function differently depending on season. Whether they use light at all is another question.

Mkombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8679 on: February 14, 2011, 07:44:43 am »

How do you release an animal from a cage? Sad to admit, I read the wiki and I'm still confused. I bought a bear that's tame, what will happen if it's released?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8680 on: February 14, 2011, 08:07:24 am »

Okay i started a new fort and i've run into some problems i've not run into before, or maybe i just wasn't aware of these problems with my bigger forts:

I have one military soldier i use as a hunter to kill all wildlife -- he VERY frequently forbids his own crossbow after he is done with his orders. Why does he do this and how can i stop this?

Also, i -cannot- get him to keep his weapon and gear on him when he is not stationed or ordered to do something actively. How do i get him to keep his weapon, quiver, ammo etc, all on him, all the time?
Never, ever, ever enable the hunting (mining and woodcutting have similar problems, but only with weapons) labor on a military dwarf. Hunting has a non-editable hidden uniform, and it is impossible to force both it and the military uniform to use the same equipment. What happens is, he goes into civilian mode and says "This isn't my hunting uniform" and takes everything off.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8681 on: February 14, 2011, 08:20:00 am »

How do you release an animal from a cage? Sad to admit, I read the wiki and I'm still confused. I bought a bear that's tame, what will happen if it's released?

You have to build the cage (press x when selecting the cage to be built in order to see where your bear is, assuming you have more than one), go to the building properties and unassign the bear.

What will happen is that you're going to get an animal that can be butchered, bred, made available for adoption or trained. This is only because bears are non-exotic pets. If they were exotic, you would need the bugged Dungeon Master to do anything other than butcher them, though you could always mod your exotic pets to be non-exotic. To do so, replace any appropriate creature's [PET_EXOTIC] tag with [PET] in its respective creature_*.txt file in your raw\objects\ folder. This also works post-embark if you apply the change to your given save's raw folder.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:27:35 am by assimilateur »

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8682 on: February 14, 2011, 09:08:02 am »

I only use custom-made uniforms, so I'm not sure about how the default ones work. For all I know, "metal armor" might mean "any metal armor", as in, if you also have mail shirts in stock then they'll equip those and call it a day. Try making a uniform template where you specify breastplates and assign it to them.

Yep, that's exactly what it means. Dwarves with the default 'Metal Armor' uniforms will grab mail shirts instead of breastplates at times. First thing I do is generally edit it so that they're wearing a mail shirt and a breastplate as part of the uniform.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: February 14, 2011, 09:11:02 am »

sorry, nvm
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8684 on: February 14, 2011, 11:25:53 am »

There is a certain size at which creatures are immune to bridges.
That's all that's known at the moment? Like, there's no information on whether or not the bridge size or the quality of the mechanisms matters?

I know I could test it myself, but it would take ages to do it thoroughly and I'm spending my DF time on something else.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 1178