Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115778 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8655 on: February 13, 2011, 03:42:02 pm »

My atomsmasher can't destroy liquids?

I tried making an atom smasher in front of my well, but as soon as a pile of blood, pus, and extract comes off of it, and i lower the bridge onto it, it was still there after i raised it up!

I thought atomsmashers destroyed and removed everything. Why isnt this working?
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8656 on: February 13, 2011, 03:58:27 pm »

Bridges don't destroy contaminates (that is, pools of blood/pus/extract/whatever).
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8657 on: February 13, 2011, 04:22:37 pm »

I tried making an atom smasher in front of my well, but as soon as a pile of blood, pus, and extract comes off of it, and i lower the bridge onto it, it was still there after i raised it up!

Drawbridge?
Bridges don't destroy contaminates (that is, pools of blood/pus/extract/whatever).
I remember it working for me... ?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8658 on: February 13, 2011, 04:42:08 pm »

Drawbridge?
I remember it working for me... ?

Yeah i was told a simple solution to contaminants was atomsmashing them with bridges but its not working ..

leather coat

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8659 on: February 13, 2011, 04:51:01 pm »

I just checked in my own fortress, and I have multiple drawbridges which are covered in mud and blood and such, despite being repeatedly raised and lowered.  Looks like contaminates are immune to being atomsmashed.  You'll have to use magma instead.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8660 on: February 13, 2011, 05:33:15 pm »

My well and my magma supply are separated by 50-odd z levels of underground caverns chasms and caves ... oh boy -.-

leather coat

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8661 on: February 13, 2011, 07:38:54 pm »

Okay i started a new fort and i've run into some problems i've not run into before, or maybe i just wasn't aware of these problems with my bigger forts:

I have one military soldier i use as a hunter to kill all wildlife -- he VERY frequently forbids his own crossbow after he is done with his orders. Why does he do this and how can i stop this?

Also, i -cannot- get him to keep his weapon and gear on him when he is not stationed or ordered to do something actively. How do i get him to keep his weapon, quiver, ammo etc, all on him, all the time?

leather coat

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8662 on: February 13, 2011, 07:46:40 pm »

I don't know about the forbidding his crossbow problem (it might have something to do with him running out of ammo, but that's just a shot in the dark,) but there's an option in the schedule screen where you can order your squads to wear uniforms either all the time or only while on duty.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8663 on: February 13, 2011, 07:54:29 pm »

It does not matter how heavy the creature is, so long as they are not above the weight limit that will prevent the bridge from raising.
Is there any more information on weight limits?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8664 on: February 13, 2011, 08:07:33 pm »

I don't know about the forbidding his crossbow problem (it might have something to do with him running out of ammo, but that's just a shot in the dark,) but there's an option in the schedule screen where you can order your squads to wear uniforms either all the time or only while on duty.

Yeah right now it says: Inactive = Uniform.

He ignores it...

leather coat

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8665 on: February 13, 2011, 08:49:33 pm »

It does not matter how heavy the creature is, so long as they are not above the weight limit that will prevent the bridge from raising.
Is there any more information on weight limits?
There is a certain size at which creatures are immune to bridges.  I don't know the exact number, but most normal creatures are below it, though whales are above it, as are all forgotten beasts.  If you attempt to retract or raise a bridge with any creature above the limit on it, the bridge will refuse to move.  If you attempt to lower a drawbridge onto a bridge-immune creature, or attempt to extend a retracting bridge when a bridge-immune creature is in the way, the bridge will be destroyed.

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8666 on: February 13, 2011, 09:09:50 pm »

so i built a wall around my starting area and i made a bridge to be the access, but how do i make a pit under the bridge? i have pulled up the bridge via lever but cant channel the ground into the z level below which i mined out pleas help i want a pit so gobs i can make animals battle.

Bikgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8667 on: February 13, 2011, 09:17:28 pm »

I've started to experiment with quarry bushes. Theoretically, I shouldn't lose any rock nuts since every bush farmed gives out one, yet my supply keeps sinking slowly unless I buy more nuts. When the season changes to winter, are all the quarry bushes growing there instantly killed? I switched levels once right after the seasons changed, and the entire farm plot was barren, although this could also have been due to a lack of rock nuts. Could I prevent this by leaving the farm fallow in winter?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8668 on: February 13, 2011, 09:19:42 pm »

so i built a wall around my starting area and i made a bridge to be the access, but how do i make a pit under the bridge? i have pulled up the bridge via lever but cant channel the ground into the z level below which i mined out pleas help i want a pit so gobs i can make animals battle.

Deconstruct the bridge, channel out the pit, then reconstruct the bridge. You can't dig out floor under a bridge, even if you retract the bridge first.

When the season changes to winter, are all the quarry bushes growing there instantly killed?

That is exactly what is happening.  It's a bug in the current version - the previous versions of DF would prevent your dwarves from planting seeds if there wasn't enough time remaining in the season for a crop.  In the current version they plant anyway, and then the seeds are lost when the season changes.

Bikgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8669 on: February 13, 2011, 09:27:46 pm »

Ouch, that's really, really lame. If I change the raws for quarry bushes from [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN]  to [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN] [WINTER], can I get quarry bushes to grow in winter? I'd rather that my dwarves plant in the fashion that you described, as it would definitely save me some precious seeds, but I'd like to find some way to make lemonade out of lemons here.

Thanks for the help!
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 1178