Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115640 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8505 on: February 10, 2011, 10:19:04 pm »

Wait till spring, if you havn't gotten a dwarven caravan by then, you're the last dwarves in the world.

Well guy, spring is here and I think we are the last dwarves in the world. Without an anvil. That cow isn't going to last long, either.

The miners started to dig for caverns, but are at -100+ and haven't found a single cavern yet. Could I miss the caverns with a 23x23 hole?

Edit: I'm just saying, I've never missed a cavern with a 1x1 hole O.o
You can but iron anvils from humans.
Memento Mori

Bobinater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: February 11, 2011, 12:45:48 am »

Does blood fall through floor grates?  My temple to Armok just happens to be underneath the same area I plan to have most of my battles will take place and I think Armok would be pleased with blood raining down on his temple from above.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: February 11, 2011, 12:57:31 am »

I don't think so, but you could try putting down floor hatches, then opening them after a battle to let the blood drop.

pr1mus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: February 11, 2011, 01:44:38 am »

Hey :)

What is the best way to handle with a natural underground Cave?

I ask because of my Fortress Build Style. In the most time, I dig about 9z Levels down to make Bedrooms & Eating area at the bottom. Workshops and such things are on the Top.
My Problem is: in the most worlds I play, after 10-12 zlevels I find a natural underground Cave and got scared :/
So, what is the best art to handle this?

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8509 on: February 11, 2011, 02:45:27 am »

Hey :)

What is the best way to handle with a natural underground Cave?

I ask because of my Fortress Build Style. In the most time, I dig about 9z Levels down to make Bedrooms & Eating area at the bottom. Workshops and such things are on the Top.
My Problem is: in the most worlds I play, after 10-12 zlevels I find a natural underground Cave and got scared :/
So, what is the best art to handle this?

If you think you can dig around the cave, then simply building walls/floors over any entrances to the cave will protect you from hostiles. The monsters in the first cave level aren't even that bad; if you can train up and armor a few dwarves, they should be able to take on anything the first cave can throw at you (except for a forgotten beast.) Besides, it's more dwarfy to exploit the caverns for their natural resources, or even set up small outposts in them.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: February 11, 2011, 03:28:48 am »

Forgotten beasts themselves usually aren't all that awful, if they aren't made out of rock. If they're not made out of rock or have intestine-boiling gasses, well, then your dorfs may stand a chance.

Hell, the other day I got a towering humanoid made out of amber (with mandibles). I told my dwarves to get the hell out of the caverns and into the fort. Before I could lock the door into the pit that leads into the caverns behind them, a war dog and a puppy snuck down. They started fighting the FB in the stairwell.

All three of them plummeted to their deaths.

Ain't it grand.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: February 11, 2011, 03:38:50 am »

Do magma pipes / underground rivers still exist?

Because 40D used to have them I believe, but I don't know if 2010 does. It'd be nice to have a source of magma other than volcanoes / having to pump it up ALLLLLL the way from the magma sea.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8512 on: February 11, 2011, 04:06:47 am »

Do magma pipes Yes, they're called pools, though, i usually find 'em in cavern level 3./ underground rivers Never seen a river (yet), but several caverns have been flooded, sometimes completely. still exist?

Bold.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8513 on: February 11, 2011, 04:19:05 am »

What tag makes animals eat what they kill?

I plan to catch a megabeast or nasty critter of some sort and feed it prisoners, you see, and I don't want their nice room to just be clogged with corpses it does nothing with.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8514 on: February 11, 2011, 04:43:51 am »

currently, only dwarves eat. Not to worry, the corpses will all rot away to skeletons, and the execution caverns are always littered with skeletons in the movies.

Authentic!

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8515 on: February 11, 2011, 04:57:52 am »

So there's no tag that will make animals eat what they kill? I thought there was.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8516 on: February 11, 2011, 07:21:53 am »

Do magma pipes Yes, they're called pools, though, i usually find 'em in cavern level 3./ underground rivers Never seen a river (yet), but several caverns have been flooded, sometimes completely. still exist?

Bold.

I knew about the cavern pools, but thanks for the answer.

Also, my cage traps just caught a Gorlak. I checked the raws, and it has the [BENIGN], [GOOD], [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] tags. It is also not tameable.

Do I let it out? What should I do?
A hero of renown?
BILLY!

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8517 on: February 11, 2011, 07:26:20 am »

Bold.

I knew about the cavern pools, but thanks for the answer.

Also, my cage traps just caught a Gorlak. I checked the raws, and it has the [BENIGN], [GOOD], [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] tags. It is also not tameable.

Do I let it out? What should I do?

Wiki says the lil' buggers don't do anything but spam cancellation messages until someone punches it's face in. Sell it to a caravan?

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8518 on: February 11, 2011, 07:29:21 am »

Alternatively, release it into the wild.

Do the right thing. Dwarves don't keep slaves, so why would they sell one to the humans, or worse, those damn dirty tree-fondling hippies?

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8519 on: February 11, 2011, 07:30:05 am »

Alternatively, release it into the wild.

Do the right thing. Dwarves don't keep slaves, so why would they sell one to the humans, or worse, those damn dirty tree-fondling hippies?

Hmm you have a point there. Never let it be said that Dwarfs are unjust!
A hero of renown?
BILLY!
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 1178