Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115642 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8490 on: February 10, 2011, 08:39:28 am »

If you want to tame and train them, you need them in cages.  To get them in cages, you need them to swim over cage traps.  You pretty much need them to swim through them of their own volition, so this means a channel or room full of cage traps that you can flood and connect to the river, wait for carp to swim into and get captured, then isolate and pump dry.
or drain the water source through a narrow passage full of cage traps. like the mermaid harvester.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8491 on: February 10, 2011, 08:42:58 am »

If you want to tame and train them, you need them in cages.  To get them in cages, you need them to swim over cage traps.  You pretty much need them to swim through them of their own volition, so this means a channel or room full of cage traps that you can flood and connect to the river, wait for carp to swim into and get captured, then isolate and pump dry.
or drain the water source through a narrow passage full of cage traps. like the mermaid harvester.
I tried this in my sea serpent breeding fortress.  It doesn't work out very well.  Using water to push creatures that can swim is not at all reliable - if the water is deep enough to not air-drown them, it's deep enough for them to swim against the current.  Furthermore, water at 7/7 doesn't push anything, and aquatic creatures will never voluntarily move from 7/7 into shallower water.  It's far more effective to completely flood the area with cage traps, then get the creatures to swim into the traps on their own.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8492 on: February 10, 2011, 08:46:30 am »

it worked for me..
well you could try (temporarily) stopping the river flow, setting up bridges, and putting traps there.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8493 on: February 10, 2011, 09:57:36 am »

Hmm. Time to Moses this bitch river, then. Thanks.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8494 on: February 10, 2011, 04:03:54 pm »

Soooooooooo...forgotten beast showed up (this fortress has a string of bad luck). Towering humanoid, made outta amber. Woohoo. How hard is it to kill a being composed of gems? Is it like when they're made out of rock and they're nearly invincible, or will it shatter like glass?

Edit: Nevermind...it leapt off an edge. It didn't shatter quite like glass, but it's in multiple pieces, so uh.... Shattered more like bone china, really. Verrrrry satisfying "crack!" noise.

NEW QUESTION: Will my dwarves use its parts? :D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:13:04 pm by Mister Always »
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8495 on: February 10, 2011, 04:05:27 pm »

Does anyone know for sure how many people you need for the King? The wiki says 140, the init file says 80 and another forum thread says 120.  :-\
Memento Mori

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8496 on: February 10, 2011, 05:16:16 pm »

So I have this genesis mod steel dwarf who has been stuck in a hospital bed for like 3 years.  She charged alone into a crowd of lizardmen and got non-lethally mangled before the cavalry arrived.  Very few of her bones were not broken.

But she's a hardy steel dwarf and had no trouble living through the experience.  I'm sure with the proper treatment, she would heal up just fine.  She doesn't have any nerve damage or the like.  Unfortunately, I think the doctors gave up on her!  She has like 3 full pages of treatment history, most of it bone setting, but she still has like 3 full pages of broken bones that need treatment.  But she's listed as having no treatment scheduled.

I'm guessing there's some kind of bug where wounds that aren't treated within a certain time frame are just forgotten.

Anyone have any experience with this?  I'm wondering if maybe I arrange for her to acquire some new injuries, that might trigger resuming treatment?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8497 on: February 10, 2011, 06:15:25 pm »

I'm wondering if maybe I arrange for her to acquire some new injuries, that might trigger resuming treatment?
Yes, that should work. Probably.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8498 on: February 10, 2011, 08:32:36 pm »

How do I make a tree farm?
The caverns are too fun.  :)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8499 on: February 10, 2011, 08:37:45 pm »

First, muddy a huge room that no dwarves use.
Then, breach a cavern.
Trees will begin growing on the mud, and will be ready to harvest after a few years.
(Trees will also grow on soil, but much less frequently.)

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8500 on: February 10, 2011, 08:51:55 pm »

So there's no restrictions on how close to a wall the tile has to be?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #8501 on: February 10, 2011, 08:57:48 pm »

Quote from: Dwarf Fortress
Winter is upon you

So, I decided to make a small world in hopes of getting a golden age....and I made the savagery and large beasts very high so I could have some fun...but if I haven't gotten a caravan by winter is that a sign that I'm all alone?

Why did I trade the anvil for a cow? It's bad enough they are in a desert with no water or trees, now they have no traps and have to wrestle goblins in bone armor?

Also, how do I dump sand out of bags? Dump the sand, not the bag O.o
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:59:41 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8502 on: February 10, 2011, 09:09:21 pm »

Wait till spring, if you havn't gotten a dwarven caravan by then, you're the last dwarves in the world.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #8503 on: February 10, 2011, 09:54:41 pm »

Wait till spring, if you havn't gotten a dwarven caravan by then, you're the last dwarves in the world.

Well guy, spring is here and I think we are the last dwarves in the world. Without an anvil. That cow isn't going to last long, either.

The miners started to dig for caverns, but are at -100+ and haven't found a single cavern yet. Could I miss the caverns with a 23x23 hole?

Edit: I'm just saying, I've never missed a cavern with a 1x1 hole O.o
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:56:58 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8504 on: February 10, 2011, 10:01:48 pm »

It's possible... It's incredibly unlikely, but possible.
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 1178