Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115576 times)

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #6105 on: December 16, 2010, 01:51:22 pm »

Any tips on how not to die instantly in adventure mode? I can't even kill the first creature i find. It's annoying because I have to start all over again...

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: December 16, 2010, 02:28:35 pm »

just run around and wait for wolves. kill a few. rtb(tm). get followers. rinse repeat (until a Kobold/goblin ambush  ;D

you can also get conscripts at fortresses. just talk to 'em and you might get like 3
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: December 16, 2010, 02:34:30 pm »

Tips for finding magma?
Yeah thats it thats the question :L
I checked the wiki but I just wanna know what you guys have to say about it (:
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: December 16, 2010, 02:37:51 pm »

Tips for finding magma?

Dig down. Way, way down, like the last couple levels you can dig to. Unless you embarked on top of the Big Top, then it should be a bit above that.

Also, if you fiddled with the worldgen parameters you might have disabled the almost-guaranteed magma layer that most worlds have.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: December 16, 2010, 02:40:42 pm »

Tips for finding magma?

Dig down. Straight down. Past all caverns. Eventually you will find either magma or "moten rock". If molten rock, the magma sea is under it, and there should be an access point somewhere around there. Try exploratory tunnels out a few Z levels above the molten rock.

If you don't want to build portions of your fortress +50z levels underground, then embark on a volcano.

There are tubes that run up to one of the cavern levels, they are exactly the same as volcanoes, but don't make it to the surface. Trouble is, there's no way of knowing where to find one before embarking (unless someone out there knows something I don't?).

EDIT: oops. Ninja'd.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: December 16, 2010, 02:57:43 pm »

just run around and wait for wolves. kill a few. rtb(tm). get followers. rinse repeat (until a Kobold/goblin ambush  ;D

you can also get conscripts at fortresses. just talk to 'em and you might get like 3

Allright, I've been running and fooling around for a while and doing nothing special and I've killed a troll with 3 hits :p thanks ;)

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: December 16, 2010, 03:11:17 pm »

Hmmm, okay thats what I thought.
I was doing it until I ran into a cavern, but what about creatures running up my staircaises and slaughtering my dwarvlets?
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: December 16, 2010, 03:17:50 pm »

Hmmm, okay thats what I thought.
I was doing it until I ran into a cavern, but what about creatures running up my staircaises and slaughtering my dwarvlets?

Military postings or weapon/cage traps usually help prevent any mishaps, though if you have active looms build you would do well to turn off auto-loom and auto-collect webs under orders; otherwise your dwarves will be apt to wandering about the caverns grabbing webs despite the nasties that lurk there.

Question: Is there any possibility of a glacier embark with a volcano? How would I go about producing that in world gen?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: December 16, 2010, 03:21:01 pm »

So my current fort is doing well and all has no goblin and kobold civilizations and the forgotten beasts so far all but one died to the unnamed ant man and something else man tribes in the caves (the one i killed i intentionally let in but it had deadly vapors which kinda sucked).
So an Ettin was easily dispatched and next came a dragon. It came from the way were i was currently building a nice room hanging over a valley connected to the mountain next to the volcano. That entrance was wide open so i had to fight it outside since i didn't want it near my magmaforges.
Problem was there was a nice stockpile of 10 wooden bins containing the blocks for the construction that was set on fire by the first (and last) breath of the dragon. My soldiers fought the dragon over the burning bins and apparently took some fire damage despite not being hit directly by the dragon.
2 guys immediately bled to death after the fight was over. Some body parts were showing *fat is gone* in the status view. The guys wouldn't head for the hospital however, and so another one bled to death in the barracks   :-\
Now my militia commander took the least he 'only' has left and right foot's fat gone.
Anything i can do at this point to raise his chance of survival? (i guess not)
Also does anyone have experience with fire induced injury at all?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: December 16, 2010, 03:29:14 pm »

you start melting. that is all.
well, of course either you burn up (direct hit by fire attack) or get heated by something nearby. it takes a while (try it in adventurer!) but usually you die either way. actually the fat melting off is good in case it were to overheat way too much and burst into flames... yeah that's not the worst thing to happen.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: December 16, 2010, 03:43:06 pm »

Tips for finding magma?

Obsidian. Obsidian is usually a dead giveaway that you are settling at the base of a dormant volcano. Dig directly below a patch of it and you are bound to find a magma pool, often adjacent to a fancy cave network.

Enjoy for ~200 years. :)

“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: December 16, 2010, 04:00:00 pm »

you start melting. that is all.
well, of course either you burn up (direct hit by fire attack) or get heated by something nearby. it takes a while (try it in adventurer!) but usually you die either way. actually the fat melting off is good in case it were to overheat way too much and burst into flames... yeah that's not the worst thing to happen.
So the one soldier who survived (a third one bled to death who showed no signs of burns when the third guys corpse exploded), could it be that he survived because i put him off duty by removing him from the squad so he put off the overheated low boots? Would socks have helped here?
Will the heated armor kill soldiers who put it on? I guess i'll have to do some !!SCIENCE!!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: December 16, 2010, 04:04:26 pm »

Question: Is there any possibility of a glacier embark with a volcano? How would I go about producing that in world gen?
I believe that volcano placment has the same chance on a glacies as on any other area. However, I think the volcanos do not show up in the region viewer (the middle box) on site selection, only on the site viewer (the left box).

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: December 16, 2010, 04:35:13 pm »

they do, just as different symbols. the world viewer (right pane) shows them as weapon (I think) traps and on the left as... ~~? I forget.

(I use graphics)
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: December 16, 2010, 04:36:51 pm »

Ugh thats stupid. I zoomed out fully and my game crashed, goodbye 2 seasons, hello winter last year. :/
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 1178