Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115503 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #6090 on: December 16, 2010, 09:02:47 am »

Are you sure your magma forge has magma access (test if you can add tasks to it)?
Also i know glassmaker moods are bugged for magma glass furnaces requiring a normal furnace instead.
Build a normal forge and see if that works. Also if you didn't check him dwarf therapist he might just be a dabbling weaponsmith and dabbling in other skills too. Make sure he isn't restricted to burrows.
If all else fails just build one instance of every workshop i guess.

Alas, he is dead now. The magma forge definitely has access, he was a migrant and had the labor enabled, and was not assigned to a burrow. I did not try building a normal forge because I had only one anvil, and because aside from trouble-shooting  it would have ultimately been pointless at the time- there isn't any coal or wood on my map.

Thankfully, nobody misses him.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: December 16, 2010, 09:03:55 am »

Moods don't use fuel.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: December 16, 2010, 09:09:53 am »

Moods don't use fuel.

Damned. Good to know, though.

A new question for another day:

The number one reason I abandon fortresses prematurely (and build above ground fortresses) is because I get sick and tired of the mess of different colors, and lose my enthusiasm for remodeling after mining out the discolored walls, deferring workers to mine increasingly scarce matching stone, and then straining my tiny brain to create symmetry between already smooth diagonal walls the tedious, square-tile designations I am making.

Although it's "cheating," I am considering raising the embark points to 10,000 and just starting with a bajillion of two different types of neat clean stone, but that's a temporary solution and it doesn't solve the problem of having to place walls bit by bit.

Grasping at straws, does anyone know of any mods or "features" out there for changing the color of stone, or for quickly constructing walls?

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 09:25:34 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: December 16, 2010, 10:30:47 am »

1.  Doesanyone have any clue how to work around the wcing (bug?) i mentioned on page 406?

2.  Im a bit confused in which order (from worst to best) metals go in weapons.  I know for armour its silver < copper < bronze < iron < steel < adamantine.  I hear its different for weapons though.  Also, i heard that certain metals like silver are better for weapons like warhammers due to density.  Can anyone post a chart explaining whats good for what?  I looked for it on the wiki but couldnt find it.  If you have a link to the wiki article thats fine too^^
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: December 16, 2010, 10:36:26 am »

1.  Doesanyone have any clue how to work around the wcing (bug?) i mentioned on page 406?
Do you use Dwarf Therapist? Tried removing and readding the labour? Are they in the military?

2.  Im a bit confused in which order (from worst to best) metals go in weapons.  I know for armour its silver < copper < bronze < iron < steel < adamantine.  I hear its different for weapons though.  Also, i heard that certain metals like silver are better for weapons like warhammers due to density.  Can anyone post a chart explaining whats good for what?  I looked for it on the wiki but couldnt find it.  If you have a link to the wiki article thats fine too^^
Warhammers: Silver
Axes & Swords: Candy > Steel > Bronze > Iron > Copper

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: December 16, 2010, 10:39:09 am »

Do you use Dwarf Therapist? Tried removing and readding the labour? Are they in the military?

Warhammers: Silver
Axes & Swords: Candy > Steel > Bronze > Iron > Copper

1.  Tried both of those things, and...what exactl is dwrf therapist?  Is it a hacking program?

2.  Candy?  Is that sarcatic or are you serious?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: December 16, 2010, 10:39:58 am »

By "Candy" he means Adamantine. It's part of that retarded circus metaphor. (Cotton Candy)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: December 16, 2010, 10:42:11 am »

By "Candy" he means Adamantine. It's part of that retarded circus metaphor. (Cotton Candy)
With that attitude you will not be allowed to pet the ponys, young boy! :D

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: December 16, 2010, 10:48:37 am »

With that attitude you will not be allowed to pet the ponys, young boy! :D

lol...anyway...So does the Silver > everything policy also apply to maces and mauls?  Anything for "Crushing" basicaly?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: December 16, 2010, 10:57:58 am »

the density (weight) is factored into calculations much more with hitting weapons
sharpness is very good for slicing weapons
velocity (speed) is important too, especially for hitting weapons (momentum is much greater)

so there you have it.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: December 16, 2010, 11:01:03 am »

the density (weight) is factored into calculations much more with hitting weapons
sharpness is very good for slicing weapons
velocity (speed) is important too, especially for hitting weapons (momentum is much greater)

so there you have it.

Just to clarify:

Flails, whips, hammers, maces, mauls, (Misc objects?):  Silver ftw
Swords, scimmitars, axes, bolts, daggers, spears etc.:  silver < copper < bronze < iron < steel < adamantine

sorry lol....im slow on these things sometimes

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: December 16, 2010, 11:33:05 am »

basically yeah. I'm not that much of an expert so please someone confirm.
I suggest you mod all metals to be weaponizable and get the REALLY heavy ones into weapons (ahem gold)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: December 16, 2010, 11:34:14 am »

Unless you get a strange mood and manage to get a warhammer made of something like platinum.

Also, in theroy it is possible to get a warhammer made of slade.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: December 16, 2010, 12:22:26 pm »

[/quote]
1.  Tried both of those things, and...what exactl is dwrf therapist?  Is it a hacking program?
[/quote]

Dwarf Therapist is a program to easily assign professions to dwarfs and monitor their skills. Can also monitor the military and social skills. I really couldn't play without it in any fort with more than 20 dwarfs. Go download the latest version 0.6.7 i think and run it while df is running it will automatically read all your dwarfs and tell you who has which profession enabled.

The only thing i can think of from the top of my head is do you have enough axes for all the woodcutters?
Maybe you drafted some guys into a military and they took the copper axes from the embark and now your woodworkers have no tools. You can make wooden training axes from wood to chop more wood with at the carpenter workshop.  ;D

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: December 16, 2010, 12:38:23 pm »

[/quote]

Dwarf Therapist is a program to easily assign professions to dwarfs and monitor their skills. Can also monitor the military and social skills. I really couldn't play without it in any fort with more than 20 dwarfs. Go download the latest version 0.6.7 i think and run it while df is running it will automatically read all your dwarfs and tell you who has which profession enabled.

The only thing i can think of from the top of my head is do you have enough axes for all the woodcutters?
Maybe you drafted some guys into a military and they took the copper axes from the embark and now your woodworkers have no tools. You can make wooden training axes from wood to chop more wood with at the carpenter workshop.  ;D
[/quote]

thanks for the info!  and yes, i do have enough axes.  The woodcutters are even HOLDING them...im so confused...
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 1178