Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115299 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #5940 on: December 11, 2010, 06:10:18 pm »

Can your miners access the down stairs?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5941 on: December 11, 2010, 06:15:08 pm »

I have 2 questions.

1.  So my army has been training for a good 2 years now and most of them are still recruits.  Why are they training so slowly?  My friends troops got to legendary within a matter of months.  He didnt use a danger room either.  Oh and i refuse to use a danger room myself.  Im determined to train them the old fashioned way =P.
room?
Are they set to Active/Training in the [m]ilitary [a]lerts menu?

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5942 on: December 11, 2010, 06:17:22 pm »

yes theres nothing stopping them from accessing the downstairs

I have 2 questions.

1.  So my army has been training for a good 2 years now and most of them are still recruits.  Why are they training so slowly?  My friends troops got to legendary within a matter of months.  He didnt use a danger room either.  Oh and i refuse to use a danger room myself.  Im determined to train them the old fashioned way =P.
room?
Are they set to Active/Training in the [m]ilitary [a]lerts menu?

yep theive beein "training" and doing "demonstrations" and "sparring" for 2 years now
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5943 on: December 11, 2010, 07:40:48 pm »

The magmawiki is down, so there is much much fun to be had...

Does hair from butcher shops have any use or can they be dumped on the smasher?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5944 on: December 11, 2010, 07:46:35 pm »

In the vanilla unmodded game, leftover hair from butchering is useless.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5945 on: December 11, 2010, 07:55:07 pm »

I've run into a problem with my game: my butcher's shop doesn't seem to be working anymore. I can't tell if it's related to being sieged for some reason, but marking an animal for slaughter doesn't cause the job to appear in the butcher's shop. I've slaughtered many animals leading upto this point, so I have no idea why it's not working. Also, requesting the job on the manager screen doesn't put the job into the butcher's shop either.

Has anyone had this happen? Would check the wiki.. but.. yeah.

I have 1000 meals but I might need some body parts for this fey child (last thing I can possibly create for him).

Double check that you've put the upstairs in exactly the right spot, because that can get the best of us at times.

If not that, then sometimes your miners will just prioritise digging it other areas because they are at the top of the queue. There's not much you can do about it, they will get to that point eventually.

I did have a problem with digging today which was caused by miners not digging when I marked out a designation under a stockpile (despite the fact that you can put a stockpile over stairs once they are dug).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:59:00 pm by Harmonica »

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5946 on: December 11, 2010, 08:11:57 pm »

Double check that you've put the upstairs in exactly the right spot, because that can get the best of us at times.

If not that, then sometimes your miners will just prioritise digging it other areas because they are at the top of the queue. There's not much you can do about it, they will get to that point eventually.

I did have a problem with digging today which was caused by miners not digging when I marked out a designation under a stockpile (despite the fact that you can put a stockpile over stairs once they are dug).

ive quintuple checked...the staris are at the exact right spot. and the miners have al labors aide from mining turned off..their just sitting there idling...
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5947 on: December 11, 2010, 08:56:31 pm »

ive quintuple checked...the staris are at the exact right spot. and the miners have al labors aide from mining turned off..their just sitting there idling...

Don't suppose they've lost their picks? Maybe by some not unheard of fluke of events, they set them down outside and you forbade them by mistake, or dumped them along with a pile of stone?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5948 on: December 11, 2010, 09:23:40 pm »

Try digging a second stairwell, it might just be that one tile.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5949 on: December 11, 2010, 09:56:07 pm »

Try digging a second stairwell, it might just be that one tile.

They dug the second stairwell no problem but they still refuse to dig the room under.  Also, any idea why my army trains so slow?  Oh, and what skill do i need to make bone and wood bolts?  Wiki is down >.<  Sorry for bombarding you with questions like this.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5950 on: December 11, 2010, 09:58:33 pm »

Bone/woodcrafter for the bolts.
Not sure about the military, I usually just keep a squad or two inactive so they gradually train up while still doing their jobs.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: December 11, 2010, 10:19:08 pm »

Bone/woodcrafter for the bolts.
Not sure about the military, I usually just keep a squad or two inactive so they gradually train up while still doing their jobs.

strange...mine are set to training and their still taking for ever :s

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5952 on: December 11, 2010, 11:12:14 pm »

Some will just naturally be slower than others at training, or by a series of events they will get less training time.

When the wiki gets back up read the military guide if you haven't because it has some good advice about ideal setups for training and stuff.

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: December 11, 2010, 11:13:56 pm »

Question #1) Will creatures and enemies tend to avoid (pathfind around) Upright Spear/Spike traps that are contantly in the deployed (spikey) state? (I've read they would only take damage from that if they fell on it.)

Question #2) Will creatures and enemies tend to avoid (pathfind around) Upright Spear/Spike traps that, using a repeater setup, rather quickly shifts between deployed and receeded states?

Also, it was my understanding that Building Destroyers type 2 will pretty much destroy everthing that is not a Construction (Fortification, Floor, Stairs, Ramp, Wall). As such:

Question #3) Does this mean Building Destroyers type 2 will destroy absolutely all Access, Furniture, Components, Workshops, and Traps, regardless of what material they are made of (including Adamantium)?

Question #4) In particular, I'd like to know if Question #3 includes the destruction of Bridges, Supports, Pressure Plates and Spear/Spike traps?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5954 on: December 11, 2010, 11:18:49 pm »

No for 1 and 2, yes for 3 and 4.
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 1178