Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115296 times)

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #5925 on: December 11, 2010, 02:05:07 pm »

Danng, this sucks. Alright. Is their anyway to incite goblin attacks?

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: December 11, 2010, 02:33:48 pm »

Danng, this sucks. Alright. Is their anyway to incite goblin attacks?

Get a population above 80 and create lots of wealth, and the sieges will come soon enough.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: December 11, 2010, 03:31:53 pm »

Bogeyman suck, you guys. I've lost at least two dozen adventurers to them because of a.) no place to gather companions near my starting locale, or b.) a glitch that causes the hero to suddenly be separated from his companions while quick traveling... is there a raw entry that I can delete, or a part of my computer I can place a high-powered magnet on to destroy these game-wrecking bastards forever?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: December 11, 2010, 03:34:52 pm »

Well to keep companions by your side, just make sure they are within vision range of you when fast traveling and don't use the sleep function while fast traveling.

you can also try hopping into a river to avoid them for a bit. or get within a town's borders and they go away.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: December 11, 2010, 03:40:26 pm »

well, first of all I meant expedition,  was thinking about caravans sorry  :-[

it actually depends on what else you do. technically the civs would be in an endless war, but if you kill someone from your own civ that should negate it. but anyways, why not try  ;)

hehehe I just wiped out the ONLY kobold civilization on the (small) map, only to be pushed into a 10-urist fall into water by the LAST SURVIVOR! damn.

You can... wipe them out? That's... AMAZING. I didn't know that kobolds even had sites.. how did you do it?
yeah, they live in caves. I just went in there and killed any who tried to come up. I even led a bronze colossus in there and got it stuck (webbed and can't unstuck) in the path to the surface. I then proceeded to kill off everyone but one. damn.

I checked, it has no leaders, is their anyway to make it get leaders x.x
No.  Your civ is dead.  Your dwarves are the last in the world.  If you want to have a viable external dwarven civilization, you need to start over with a new world.
well, unless for some reason you survive and get a ginormous population (over 200 I think) you won't get any leader. however you might get a king if you do. do it, for !!science!!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: December 11, 2010, 03:45:58 pm »

@Acperience: Ah, that is definitely good to know, so thank you. All the same, if anyone knows how, I would like to delete the raw, or better yet cut and paste it in an e-mail to Toady with an ASCII image of a frog's head. ;D

well, first of all I meant expedition,  was thinking about caravans sorry  :-[

it actually depends on what else you do. technically the civs would be in an endless war, but if you kill someone from your own civ that should negate it. but anyways, why not try  ;)

hehehe I just wiped out the ONLY kobold civilization on the (small) map, only to be pushed into a 10-urist fall into water by the LAST SURVIVOR! damn.

You can... wipe them out? That's... AMAZING. I didn't know that kobolds even had sites.. how did you do it?
yeah, they live in caves. I just went in there and killed any who tried to come up. I even led a bronze colossus in there and got it stuck (webbed and can't unstuck) in the path to the surface. I then proceeded to kill off everyone but one. damn.

I checked, it has no leaders, is their anyway to make it get leaders x.x
No.  Your civ is dead.  Your dwarves are the last in the world.  If you want to have a viable external dwarven civilization, you need to start over with a new world.
well, unless for some reason you survive and get a ginormous population (over 200 I think) you won't get any leader. however you might get a king if you do. do it, for !!science!!

This interests me. How does one find these caves? Just by chance when exploring? I've never really found anything in Adventure Mode except for quest-related lairs.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: December 11, 2010, 03:58:27 pm »

well you can't normally "see" them on the map. in d_init.txt in the data folder (I think, someone please confirm) you must change "make caves visible" or something like that. in my graphics set they look like grey pieces of lingite.

and it should also give you a message that you have found a cave.

in the navigation menu thing (distances and directions to places such as towns and such) you can also see caves (if near enough?)

ask around in towns also.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: December 11, 2010, 04:24:23 pm »

Do you think it might be possible to set up some walls and cage traps and maybe cut away some ramps to make it safer? That forgotten beast might be a problem, but if you get a chance have a look at it. Some of them are much weaker than they seem and break apart if you so much as look at it. But there's plenty of them who aren't so watch out!

Anything is possible. I have a military facility set up which all traffic into and out of the caverns currently runs through, but I haven't dealt with the river yet. I'm going to build a pump room soon. My military dwarves just happen to be pump operating experts so on their days off they get to handle that side of things...

The forgotten beast is giant humanoid made of ash.

These aren't my biggest problems though, currently the mayor's son who is friends with half the fortress has gone fey and I think he wants red zircon gems which we don't have (as well as a list of 8 other things).

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: December 11, 2010, 04:58:04 pm »

In the last fort I got very far in (read : 2 years) I got an ambush on my second year (which was the end of that fort). In my fort now I've gotten three years in and have only had kobold thieves. No gobbos at all. I'm on late spring of my third year.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: December 11, 2010, 05:03:07 pm »

save now and go wall in
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: December 11, 2010, 05:06:31 pm »

Why? I've got a wall, danger burrow, team of marksdwarves who can go in a tower to shoot the gobbos from above. I've also got a huge courtyard in which ambushes can't get in without being caught in a cage trap, which alerts me. Then I have an inner wall with said tower and two series of doors. Pretty sure I'm safe. Also have hammerdwarves, macedwarves, and dwordsdwarves.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: December 11, 2010, 05:10:38 pm »

oh, got it
have fun! (wait, no MAGMA MOAT?!?!? or even a ditch? well, hows about sacrificial cats sentries?
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: December 11, 2010, 05:15:06 pm »

Do you think it might be possible to set up some walls and cage traps and maybe cut away some ramps to make it safer? That forgotten beast might be a problem, but if you get a chance have a look at it. Some of them are much weaker than they seem and break apart if you so much as look at it. But there's plenty of them who aren't so watch out!

Anything is possible. I have a military facility set up which all traffic into and out of the caverns currently runs through, but I haven't dealt with the river yet. I'm going to build a pump room soon. My military dwarves just happen to be pump operating experts so on their days off they get to handle that side of things...

The forgotten beast is giant humanoid made of ash.

These aren't my biggest problems though, currently the mayor's son who is friends with half the fortress has gone fey and I think he wants red zircon gems which we don't have (as well as a list of 8 other things).
You would think that beasts made of ice and ash would melt/get soggy until they died when they touched water.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5938 on: December 11, 2010, 05:16:29 pm »

oh, got it
have fun! (wait, no MAGMA MOAT?!?!? or even a ditch? well, hows about sacrificial cats sentries?
Water moats. As in two. And a war dog who will alert me to thieves with the [TRAP_AVOID] tag. Cause I have cage traps too.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: December 11, 2010, 06:01:19 pm »

I have 2 questions.

1.  So my army has been training for a good 2 years now and most of them are still recruits.  Why are they training so slowly?  My friends troops got to legendary within a matter of months.  He didnt use a danger room either.  Oh and i refuse to use a danger room myself.  Im determined to train them the old fashioned way =P.

2.  I have no burrows active but my miners still refuse to mine out the room below,  They mined out the downward staircase but they wont continue mining the updward staircase.  There's tetrahedrite ore in the spot that i want them to put the upward staircase.  How can i make them mine out the room?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 1178