Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1092280 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4830 on: November 06, 2010, 05:19:51 pm »

He had a whole list and was ecstatic, and then. . .
[...]
No more thoughts. He became content.

This occurs at the end of every year. Or season. I forget.
He had all the thoughts at the beginning of year two. It's still spring.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: November 06, 2010, 05:51:09 pm »

He had a whole list and was ecstatic, and then. . .
[...]
No more thoughts. He became content.

This occurs at the end of every year. Or season. I forget.
He had all the thoughts at the beginning of year two. It's still spring.

He achieved Swords Nirvana, a plane of pure peace and contentment, the point at which all becomes clear, easy, simple, perfect, the status of the true Swordsmaster, the Enlightened, the Oneness.

Now that I've been actively unhelpful, I regret to say that I do not know of the phenomena to which you refer. I do know that thoughts have a timer, where they are strongest while fresh, then fade and kick around his memory for a while, and then disappear. I do not know when this occurs, and it is certainly odd that he would not already have new thoughts to replace the old.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: November 06, 2010, 06:27:08 pm »

There's a dead dog sitting unmoved in part of the fort that no enemy has reached in years. There are plenty of pet coffins available, even more than the day he died. The dwarves have shuffled every other body around between refuse and graveyard stockpiles, but won't move this even if I mark it Dump. And it's still mutilated, not skeletal and no sign of rot. I don't recall if it ever released a miasma.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4833 on: November 06, 2010, 06:29:20 pm »

Did you reclaim the fortress?  Objects which are tasked for a job when the fortress are abandoned are untouchable when you reclaim, and dead bodies stuck in this state won't even rot.  You can get it unstuck by channeling out the floor under it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: November 06, 2010, 06:40:11 pm »

I've seen references to limiting the number of migrants who can come to a fortress.

How?

I loathe migrants, they always mess up my plans. . .
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: November 06, 2010, 06:56:32 pm »

Did you reclaim the fortress?  Objects which are tasked for a job when the fortress are abandoned are untouchable when you reclaim, and dead bodies stuck in this state won't even rot.  You can get it unstuck by channeling out the floor under it.
No, it's an original embark, and the dog died during it. It has moved, though oddly. When I marked it Dump, it didn't even generate a Dump Item job, and I marked a few different items for dumping to get a list to check. I left it alone to queue some contruction work, when I scanned past the area it had been moved to the nearest dump zone.

Still no sign of rot. This dog was killed a loooong time ago, still a mutilated corpse, while everything else on the corpse list is a partial skeleton by now.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: November 06, 2010, 07:26:09 pm »

pyramid power? maybe you built one over it by accident :P
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: November 06, 2010, 08:02:01 pm »

I've seen references to limiting the number of migrants who can come to a fortress.

How?

I loathe migrants, they always mess up my plans. . .

In the Init.txt settings, Population.  Set it to 10 or whatever.  Your first two waves are hard-coded tho, but once you hit the pop cap, no more will come. 

If you don't even want the first two waves, then lock them out and let the Invaders kill them off (or let them starve outside).   Since they aren't friends with anyone inside, there will be no bad thoughts when they die.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4838 on: November 06, 2010, 09:08:57 pm »

There's a dead dog sitting unmoved in part of the fort that no enemy has reached in years. There are plenty of pet coffins available, even more than the day he died. The dwarves have shuffled every other body around between refuse and graveyard stockpiles, but won't move this even if I mark it Dump. And it's still mutilated, not skeletal and no sign of rot. I don't recall if it ever released a miasma.

Not sure about the dogs inability to rot, but I believe only petted animals can be buried.

There's only two solutions I can offer you: Collapse a few floors on the dog or cast it in obsidian (it's already dead, right?)
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: November 07, 2010, 12:55:07 am »

Question: are wooden weapons from elves better than training weapons?
Also, what about wooden armor, is it bottom tier trash, or better than leather, at least?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: November 07, 2010, 01:29:12 am »

Question: are wooden weapons from elves better than training weapons?
Also, what about wooden armor, is it bottom tier trash, or better than leather, at least?

Wooden weapons are regular weapons made of wood. A wooden spear still have tip 10 times sharper then a wooden training spear.

Wood is more rigid and have better edge resistance then leather.

EDIT: bone is about 5-10 times harder then wood while having similar density to most brown overland wood

Now, my own question:
Do windmill, screw pump and water moving around generate noise? I'm planning to build a great waterfall in my meeting hall but with current design it'd also go through the bed room and might cause disturbances.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:04:46 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: November 07, 2010, 08:02:14 am »

So, after my pitting experiments i've got quite a bunch of kobold and goblin corpses in refuse stockpiles.(partial skeletons already) How do i get rid of those?
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

Pirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: November 07, 2010, 08:43:18 am »

I've killed a FB and a dragon. Can I butcher their corpses and how ?

SandehBear

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: November 07, 2010, 09:10:38 am »

I've captured several horses and want to start taming/butchering them. I haven't bothered to set up an automatic butching system so the former is probably easier for the moment.
Trouble is, can't get horses out of cages without them running amok. I would ideally restrain them, but as soon as I get them out of the cages they run off, so I can't tame, can't restrain to let them start breeding. What am I doing wrong, most people seem to do this easily?

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: November 07, 2010, 09:50:55 am »

I've captured several horses and want to start taming/butchering them. I haven't bothered to set up an automatic butching system so the former is probably easier for the moment.
Trouble is, can't get horses out of cages without them running amok. I would ideally restrain them, but as soon as I get them out of the cages they run off, so I can't tame, can't restrain to let them start breeding. What am I doing wrong, most people seem to do this easily?

You tame the horses from the kennels while they are still in the cage.  You don't release them before taming them, unless you want them to run amok.  Just queue up the Tame Large Animal job while they are in the cage they were caught in, then you can safely move them around or release them.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:53:28 am by drkpaladin »
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 1178