Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122035 times)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4785 on: November 04, 2010, 07:37:33 pm »

'Job item misplaced!'

Any way to deal with this? When one of my craft-dwarfs (in this case my leather worker) empties a bin, a bunch of dwarfs move to place another item into the empty bin (in this case coke), but when they arrive to the empty bin they realize it's in the leather (wrong) stockpile, haul the coke back to it's stockpile, and I get this annoying message.

I reckon I can fix it by just building more bins (hard to do when over half my map is treeless mountains though) but I just find it odd that as long as an empty bin is the only empty bin in a stockpile, no dwarf will move it, but every dwarf will (unsuccessfully) attempt to store items from other stockpiles in it. Grr.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: November 04, 2010, 08:32:52 pm »

I have no liquid water, all the ice I could ever want or need( not mined, I embarked in the middle of a glacier) and no magma. How do I melt all this stuff?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: November 04, 2010, 08:41:31 pm »

I have no liquid water, all the ice I could ever want or need( not mined, I embarked in the middle of a glacier) and no magma. How do I melt all this stuff?
I believe that caving in ice will cause it to melt.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: November 04, 2010, 09:12:18 pm »

How do I delete worlds I don't want anymore?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4789 on: November 04, 2010, 10:15:24 pm »

How do I delete worlds I don't want anymore?
Dorf Fort Folder > Data > Save
All of your saves are located there.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: November 04, 2010, 10:36:44 pm »

Question on nobles. I've never played past having a "mayor" leading my fortress. Can a Baron, Count, or King be replaced via the nobles screen like previous administrators? Or are they permanent?

(Yes, I know it sounds silly to replace the king, but I can assign whoever I want as mayor, regardless of who was 'elected' so I thought I'd ask)
Asked this in a slew of other questions and got missed. Granted, since goblins killed my trade liaison, this may be a moot point now...

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4791 on: November 04, 2010, 11:39:41 pm »

Question on nobles. I've never played past having a "mayor" leading my fortress. Can a Baron, Count, or King be replaced via the nobles screen like previous administrators? Or are they permanent?

(Yes, I know it sounds silly to replace the king, but I can assign whoever I want as mayor, regardless of who was 'elected' so I thought I'd ask)
Asked this in a slew of other questions and got missed. Granted, since goblins killed my trade liaison, this may be a moot point now...

Don't feel two bad, I've lost 2 woodcutter 3 miners and a fisherdwarf in two back to back goblin ambushes.

Not sure aboot kings or whatnot, but I've tried to replace my mayor a few times with someone else, but the person I try to replace always takes the position back, if that helps any.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: November 05, 2010, 12:01:13 am »

Are older versions better than .16 for some things? I read somewhere that they are...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: November 05, 2010, 12:27:45 am »

Don't feel two bad, I've lost 2 woodcutter 3 miners and a fisherdwarf in two back to back goblin ambushes.

Not sure aboot kings or whatnot, but I've tried to replace my mayor a few times with someone else, but the person I try to replace always takes the position back, if that helps any.
That may be because Mayor is the only 'elected' noble position (I think). You can change it until the dwarves elect the one they want back into the position?

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: November 05, 2010, 06:59:41 am »

Hello again people. How do i make my dwarfs butcher goblin or kobold corpses? I have built butchers workshop and tried "butcher a dead animal", but it isn't working.
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: November 05, 2010, 07:02:58 am »

you can't butcher sentient until you modify the game for it.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: November 05, 2010, 07:54:26 am »

Hello. Once I have pissed off my dwarf liason, will he ever come back happy again ?? Two years ago, a dwarf who was crippled and stuck in hospital was elected mayor. Not only that, but he was unconcious most of the time too. Long after the merchants had left, the liason was still trying to get a meeting with him. I changed the mayor to someone else, and instantly the liason left unhappy.

The next year. as soon as he turned up on the map he was unhappy and left. This may have to do with goblins ambushing the party, I'm not too sure.

Will he ever talk to us again, I need him.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: November 05, 2010, 08:19:20 am »

All that message means is that the Liason was unable to meet with your expedition leader/mayor/etc. Before the merchants left the map. In the first year, your leader was busted up and unable to meet, and then the merchants were killed or driven off right when they showed up, so there was no chance to meet.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: November 05, 2010, 08:29:53 am »

yeah and dwarf caravans AFAIK dont get pissed off like humans and elves do. no matter what you do to them, they keep coming back so i'd say don't worry
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: November 05, 2010, 01:46:31 pm »

Hello again people. How do i make my dwarfs butcher goblin or kobold corpses? I have built butchers workshop and tried "butcher a dead animal", but it isn't working.

Because Goblins and Kobolds (and humans and elves and dwarves and some other critters) are sentient, your dwarves refuse to hack them up and craft the bones and devour their flesh. That's really more of an elf thing.

If you want to mod it to be possible, the pertinent tag is CAN_LEARN. This is also a handy way to check whether that creature your dwarves refuse to butcher happens to be sentient; just go to the wiki or the raws and see whether it has that tag.
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 1178