Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118899 times)

HermitDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4740 on: November 03, 2010, 05:33:10 pm »

If your dwarves, when activated into the military, get any of the elite military professions, when they go back to civi life all their jobs will be disabled. It's kind of wonky whether they'll go elite, even if they have legendary weapon skills. Sometimes my Legendary+5 Speardwarf will be a Spearmaster and sometimes she'll be a plain ole' Speardwarf.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4741 on: November 03, 2010, 07:31:52 pm »

Thanks for the answer that blue artifacts are just named junk. I *wish* they were adamantine  :D
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: November 03, 2010, 08:00:53 pm »

If your dwarves, when activated into the military, get any of the elite military professions, when they go back to civi life all their jobs will be disabled. It's kind of wonky whether they'll go elite, even if they have legendary weapon skills. Sometimes my Legendary+5 Speardwarf will be a Spearmaster and sometimes she'll be a plain ole' Speardwarf.
This does give them a headstart on gathering the best gear, since everyone else who might grab that masterwork breastplate hot off the forge is busy doing an honest day's work.  But does leaving their jobs off leave them available for sparring sessions on request? I haven't tracked them that closely, but it seems all they do is individual combat drills, which are never that effective at any level, or No Job.

I got my commander engraving again, which he's happy to do, but I had to watch him like a hawk at the first of his non-training month to do it.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4743 on: November 03, 2010, 08:22:34 pm »

Ambush!

So I want to retreat all of my civilians to inside the fortress out of harms way, but how exactly do I do this? I set up the burrows covering the entire inside, but I'm not sure how to set the civilians only to wait inside it.

Also, any opinions on the best trap weapon? My current favorite is large serrated iron disks.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: November 03, 2010, 08:34:26 pm »

Ga the the [m]ilitary [a]lert screen, and create a new alert that has the burrow assigned to it.
When you want everyone inside, activate the alert, and all non-military dwarves will obey.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: November 03, 2010, 08:50:45 pm »

Question on nobles. I've never played past having a "mayor" leading my fortress. Can a Baron, Count, or King be replaced via the nobles screen like previous administrators? Or are they permanent?

(Yes, I know it sounds silly to replace the king, but I can assign whoever I want as mayor, regardless of who was 'elected' so I thought I'd ask)

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: November 03, 2010, 09:13:01 pm »

Also, any opinions on the best trap weapon? My current favorite is large serrated iron disks.

mine too, i love reading the combat log "the spinning iron serrated disc hits goblin mcnasty in the lower body! the severed part sails off in an arc!" just pure gold "goblin mcinvader has been struck down"

then reading the status screen "a medium-sized humanoid driven to cruelty by its evil nature" "His hair is extremely short, his asshole is tiny, he has two noses [...] his skin is green. His upper body is gone.

always cracks me up.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: November 03, 2010, 09:27:57 pm »

then reading the status screen "a medium-sized humanoid driven to cruelty by its evil nature" "His hair is extremely short, his asshole is tiny, he has two noses [...] his skin is green. His upper body is gone.

I hate to rain on your parade, but that always shows up for dead creatures no matter how they died.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4748 on: November 03, 2010, 10:09:55 pm »

I hate to rain on your parade, but that always shows up for dead creatures no matter how they died.

Ya, but it's funny when you actually know they've been split in two :)

Speaking of which, are weapon traps automatic or do they have to be set to levers or plates? I can't seem to find the option for either :/

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: November 03, 2010, 10:12:41 pm »

They're automatic. I have a line of serrated blades mulching goblin raiders quite nicely.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4750 on: November 03, 2010, 10:14:38 pm »

They're automatic. I have a line of serrated blades mulching goblin raiders quite nicely.

What's the trigger and maintenance? Just any hostile civilization?

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: November 03, 2010, 10:21:58 pm »

Trigger is any non-friendly (traders won't trigger it, random wandering raccoons will). Maintenance is someone pulling a corpse out of it if it gets jammed.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: November 04, 2010, 06:01:19 am »

i tried using a pump to hose off the corpses in my last trap assembly. at 5 fps i couldnt tell very well, but i think it worked. the problem was it was next to the sea and pumping almost threw a whole bunch of items inside. that would have been fine except they just sit at the bottom far from my reach and keep chewing my fps away. and boy, if you ever tried mining open an ocean, you know its nothing like lakes and aquifers lol - flood-the-world in 2 seconds
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: November 04, 2010, 06:06:49 am »

Trigger is any non-friendly (traders won't trigger it, random wandering raccoons will). Maintenance is someone pulling a corpse out of it if it gets jammed.
I'd heard blunt weapons won't clog it; is that true? Would spiked ball traps require less maintenance?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: November 04, 2010, 06:21:56 am »

little question on water:
water pushes things, right?

lot of water flowing will pushes goblins and stuff around

does it also pushes megabeast, titans and the likes?

bonus: are pushed titans triggering traps as if falling?
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 1178