Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118705 times)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4710 on: November 01, 2010, 11:38:56 pm »

OK, this is a bug, I've reworked my marksdwarves to not pickup guantlets or boots. They still are stuck at store item in bin / pick up gear, they remain at it until I pull them off duty and are right back at it when reactivated. Anyone have a work around for this?
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: November 01, 2010, 11:56:34 pm »

Thanks guys! The project is continuing happily along now. :)
I thought I'd already tried that, but turns out I was 'designating' stairs rather than 'building' them. Silly, eh?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: November 02, 2010, 01:16:01 am »

I never realized caging an animal for a while would tame it. That's the first time I ever slaughtered a tame fox.
What? Caging an animal doesn't tame it, you need an animal trainer/dungeon master for that.
Are you sure the fox didn't come from a merchant? Those are pre-tamed.

Can an animal trainer train an animal inside a cage? because I never bought the animals. Did those elves bring animals? I don't recall. There's also a couple deer, a rat, a cougar, and a buzzard, all tamed.

They can only tame them inside a cage. Outside a cage they are not on the menu.
Also - elves bring animals. Inside cages. They also bring wood. Those are their only redeeming features.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: November 02, 2010, 04:16:52 am »

So I'm a barony, and my baron isn't so bad.  Likes Bronze and Spears, rather than stuff I don' have.

Anyway, what stuff can I do to a room to make it a really nice tomb? Smoothing and engraving for a start, but then what? Statues? Random furniture? Chained animals?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: November 02, 2010, 07:26:07 am »

Place weapon traps (or display cases if you use that mod) containing high-quality bronze spears. The "liking" bonus should set the perceived value for him into the stratosphere.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: November 02, 2010, 08:34:19 am »

Does anyone know what happens if I mine through a glacier?
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: November 02, 2010, 08:37:15 am »

You make a tunnel.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: November 02, 2010, 11:27:31 am »

Anyway, what stuff can I do to a room to make it a really nice tomb? Smoothing and engraving for a start, but then what? Statues? Random furniture? Chained animals?

High-quality gold or platinum or aluminum statues are my first choice.  If you got any artifact furniture from a moody dwarf, that works even better (typically).  Artifact mechanisms can be made into glorious gearboxes/levers/traps.

Gem-studded platinum casket goes a long way, too.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: November 02, 2010, 01:53:32 pm »

Can you decorate furniture that is already installed (built)? Or do you have to remove it first.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: November 02, 2010, 02:05:04 pm »

You have to remove it first.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4720 on: November 02, 2010, 02:05:21 pm »

Can you decorate furniture that is already installed (built)? Or do you have to remove it first.
Has to be unbuilt, because the dwarf doing the decoration needs to pick it up and carry it to the workshop being used.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: November 02, 2010, 03:40:23 pm »

I never realized caging an animal for a while would tame it. That's the first time I ever slaughtered a tame fox.
What? Caging an animal doesn't tame it, you need an animal trainer/dungeon master for that.

Can an animal trainer train an animal inside a cage? because I never bought the animals. Did those elves bring animals? I don't recall. There's also a couple deer, a rat, a cougar, and a buzzard, all tamed.

Just to throw my 2 cents in.  With the cages you buy from the Elves, I've found that even those cages I bought that I had thought were empty, still contained a random assortment of small tamed animals (even though the cage description didn't mention them).

V .16 here.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: November 02, 2010, 04:33:46 pm »

Just to throw my 2 cents in.  With the cages you buy from the Elves, I've found that even those cages I bought that I had thought were empty, still contained a random assortment of small tamed animals (even though the cage description didn't mention them).

V .16 here.

That used to happen in 40d as well.
Or rather, I bought cages from the elves, and had random tame vermin around having to be crammed into the communal cage. I never knew where they came from.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: November 02, 2010, 05:59:15 pm »

Elves must have brought them onto your map. Then you either a) bought them, or b) "inherited" them when an elvish caravan had an accident.

Since you don't remember buying them I'll guess that sometime in the past elves walked into a gobbo ambush...

Nick

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: November 02, 2010, 08:15:42 pm »

V .16 here.

That used to happen in 40d as well.
Or rather, I bought cages from the elves, and had random tame vermin around having to be crammed into the communal cage. I never knew where they came from.

True, vermin do not show up as "cardinal cage" or etc when buying cages from the elves. You can see whether there is any vermin in the cage before you buy it by 'v'iewing it. You can also identify likely candidates by looking for cages that are more expensive than it appears they should be.
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 1178