Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118567 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4680 on: October 31, 2010, 08:13:08 am »

Smooth the floor, or run DFCleanmap.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: October 31, 2010, 11:58:30 am »

What list do mugs show up in, I can't find them when I'm trying to bring them to the trade depot unless I cycle all the way through the all list and pick them out by hand.
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: October 31, 2010, 12:28:53 pm »

What list do mugs show up in, I can't find them when I'm trying to bring them to the trade depot unless I cycle all the way through the all list and pick them out by hand.
They don't.  You need to search for 'mug' with the text search feature to pick them out.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: October 31, 2010, 02:19:17 pm »

My dwarves won't melt.

Specifically, they won't melt the dozen or so metal cages I have left over from buying animals from caravans. I want my cages to be wood because a) they're lighter and b) it's more ironic when you capture an elf in one. So yeah, plenty of cages designated for melting, two dwarves with the labor enabled, and "melt item" set on "R"epeat at a smelter, with an ample supply of charcoal, yet no one wants to do it.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: October 31, 2010, 02:21:13 pm »

Are the cages built, in a cage trap, used to contain an animal, or forbidden?

Zucabr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: October 31, 2010, 02:55:18 pm »

Is there a way to force a friendship/lover status/marriage between two specific dorves? Whether for story purposes or for eugenics?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: October 31, 2010, 02:59:10 pm »

Try locking them in a furnished room with a statue marked as a meeting place.
They'll party until they are either best friends or worst enemies.
Make sure to drop food and booze in, or they will die.

Zucabr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: October 31, 2010, 03:59:00 pm »

This noob thanks you, and apologizes if that was a painfully noobie question.

Is it known, even anecdotally, what determines which of bestfriendship or archrivalry will occur? Like, similar/dissimilar traits (opposites attract?) or shared "Dorf likes x for their x."?

Ananasii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: October 31, 2010, 04:06:01 pm »

My dwarves won't melt.

Specifically, they won't melt the dozen or so metal cages I have left over from buying animals from caravans. I want my cages to be wood because a) they're lighter and b) it's more ironic when you capture an elf in one. So yeah, plenty of cages designated for melting, two dwarves with the labor enabled, and "melt item" set on "R"epeat at a smelter, with an ample supply of charcoal, yet no one wants to do it.

Take repeat off, and melt them one at a time - several workshops are flawed in that they will try to do the same job on the same item if you set it on repeat, rather than moving on to the next

Zucabr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: October 31, 2010, 10:07:36 pm »

Regarding flow and pressure... River-like bodies of water will infinitely flow from one point on the map to the other, and will stay at a certain pressure if left undammed and flowing through both sides of the map.

The question: What about when the brook or whatever ends on one embark tile? In one of those root-like protrusions. How are flow and pressure affected?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: October 31, 2010, 10:40:23 pm »

Regarding flow and pressure... River-like bodies of water will infinitely flow from one point on the map to the other, and will stay at a certain pressure if left undammed and flowing through both sides of the map.

The question: What about when the brook or whatever ends on one embark tile? In one of those root-like protrusions. How are flow and pressure affected?

I believe that all water sources reset in the spring. Something like that.

But if in real life, those would be the tributaries in the mountains where rainwater and snowmelt collects.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Burning_Iceman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: November 01, 2010, 12:44:01 pm »

Is the meat/tallow/soap of all forgotten beasts dangerous or just certain ones?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: November 01, 2010, 12:56:29 pm »

Best not to collect the corpses of beasts with poison gas, as it could have contaminated the corpse.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: November 01, 2010, 01:00:41 pm »

Actually, meat/tallow/soap/other body parts appears to be safe in all cases I've seen.  It's the blood, or extract, or spit, or goo, or other contaminant from certain forgotten beasts that is the problem, and that is mostly given off when the creature is alive and fighting your dwarves.  The corpse itself is safe to handle and process.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: November 01, 2010, 01:05:29 pm »

What I meant was dust/spit/other settling on the corpse and effecting the haulers and butcher that touch it, not the corpse itself being unsafe.
Sorry for the confusion.
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 1178