Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118551 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4650 on: October 28, 2010, 02:29:42 pm »

Do wild animals breed?

Wild animals breed, but animals which are [PET_EXOTIC] don't breed until the Dungeon Master shows up.  Since the Dungeon Master is bugged, [PET_EXOTIC] animals don't breed.  Other kinds of wild animals will breed, provided that they're defined in the raws as having genders and children, and provided you can keep them on the map long enough to do so.

Also, will animals breed if one or both are in cages?

Female animals don't get pregnant while in cages, but a female animal who is already pregnant when she's caged will still give birth.  It used to be that male animals in a cage couldn't get a female animal pregnant, but this may have changed in the current version.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ilikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: October 28, 2010, 03:36:03 pm »

What is this things, can I safely tap into this river, or will it burn people just like magma would ?

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: October 28, 2010, 08:58:03 pm »

When in doubt, loo(k) at a tile of it and the game will tell you what it is.  I'll hazard a guess and say it's a magma river (tho TBH, I've yet to even mess with (nor see) magma on my embarks so far).

Magitrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: October 28, 2010, 09:44:51 pm »

1.What does "set preset field values" in the advanced world generation do?
2.I made a world without caverns(freaking cave crocodiles killed my last few fortresses so I reduced cavern layers to none), and it said I couldn't have any of the normal food, or any alcohol or seeds at all at the embark, is this a bug or is there a specific reason for it?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: October 28, 2010, 09:59:04 pm »

1.What does "set preset field values" in the advanced world generation do?
2.I made a world without caverns(freaking cave crocodiles killed my last few fortresses so I reduced cavern layers to none), and it said I couldn't have any of the normal food, or any alcohol or seeds at all at the embark, is this a bug or is there a specific reason for it?

I cannot answer number one, but plump helmets (and all manner of other underground crop) only grow in caverns. No caverns, no underground crops, and since the dwarves only let you embark with underground crops, this means no food for the dwarves. Since the dwarves will never bring you seeds for underground crops, you will never be able to grow them, ever. If you still don't want the caverns, embark with an extra cow or something for food, and gather plants for an aboveground farm as quickly as possible to meet your booze needs.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: October 28, 2010, 10:51:22 pm »

Emergency! Emergency! I've got a moody dwarf clamoring for silk, and I don't have any silk! The caravan's coming soon, but in the meantime HOW DO I FIND CAVERNS I've dug down thirty-six layers in a 143-level embark, no luck yet

ETA: My shaft hit the cavern at -44. Safe for now, I hope.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 10:57:26 pm by proxn_punkd »

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: October 28, 2010, 11:09:59 pm »

Does FPS run faster on small generated worlds?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: October 28, 2010, 11:16:26 pm »

No, but saving take less time and world generation is also much faster.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: October 29, 2010, 01:10:36 am »

Your FPS aren't higher on small worlds the only thing with map size that will give you more FPS is playing on a smaller fortress map.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: October 29, 2010, 04:29:17 am »

Does having lots of caged gobo scare off ambushers? It's been a good half year since I've seen any invaders. However, I have a lots of goblins in cages already When my engineers complain about lack of cages i started killing them. Strangely, as i killed like 3/4 of them, more showed up.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: October 29, 2010, 04:49:21 am »

I am quite sure they don't fear coming because their racemates are locked up. They wouldn't fight eachother so why should they be afraid of them.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: October 29, 2010, 04:53:43 am »

it is likely a coincidence, but if it is not, it could be something akin to the pop-limit for pets and whatnot, which will not breed past a certain amount.

EDIT: or at least I thought they did. But now I doubt myself. Do cat-splosions have an upper limit?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: October 29, 2010, 05:22:23 am »

EDIT: or at least I thought they did. But now I doubt myself. Do cat-splosions have an upper limit?
Not sure about gobbo PopCap™ but pet cap per race is about 50.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: October 29, 2010, 06:36:40 am »

Is it possible to raise the dead with some mod? My miners mine the floor under them and fall to their deaths.

Corew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: October 29, 2010, 06:54:28 am »

3 of my pets died recently. I tried to quickly build some coffins, constructed them, and assigned these as available for pets.

The dog, and 1 of the cats are now resting forever in their places... but the second cat was not selected and is now in a outdoors refuse pile.

Its corpse is not rotten but... dont know how to put him in a coffin... some ideas?
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 1178