Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118524 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4635 on: October 27, 2010, 11:04:22 pm »

My king arrived with his entourage, and the queen turns out to be his niece. Is this morally reprehensible?

Incest is best!

Incest? More like WINcest!
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: October 27, 2010, 11:17:55 pm »

My king arrived with his entourage, and the queen turns out to be his niece. Is this morally reprehensible?

They're keeping the royal bloodline pure.

King Urist was absolutely traumatized recently at the thought of mixing common blood into the royal court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbreeding#Royalty_and_nobility
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: October 28, 2010, 06:13:37 am »

I have a dwarf spamming me with "Urist Mcdumbass cancles store owned item: Item inaccessable." (I took his room away from him so he will stop) but I can't find any items that he might be looking for.

I spent more than half an hour searching the map for any items he might be seeking but I could not find anything, there was nothing in the ponds, in the forest, on the hill or inside the fortress, its as if he was trying to store his own sock in his room but can't reach it because he is still wearing a shoe.

Any suggestions?

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: October 28, 2010, 06:40:56 am »

Found the [D] command - cue flashing red screen and DEPOT INACCESSIBLE.

I'm on an island surrounded by three rivers, and just cut off the last bit of land with a water-filled channel (accidently).  I've got 2 block wide bridges - are wagons back in 31.16? Never had a problem in 31.12, as traders only used mules and other dangerous beasts. 

Should I be worried about the inaccessibility? Or is it a red herring?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: October 28, 2010, 06:49:33 am »

I have a dwarf spamming me with "Urist Mcdumbass cancles store owned item: Item inaccessable." (I took his room away from him so he will stop) but I can't find any items that he might be looking for.

I spent more than half an hour searching the map for any items he might be seeking but I could not find anything, there was nothing in the ponds, in the forest, on the hill or inside the fortress, its as if he was trying to store his own sock in his room but can't reach it because he is still wearing a shoe.

Any suggestions?

Try unforbidding things from the Z - stocks menu.  Not foolproof but sometime you hit on the right object...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: October 28, 2010, 06:49:57 am »

No waggons yet, so nothing to worry about, puk.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Corew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: October 28, 2010, 07:22:31 am »

Need some help with the baron affair. I read you need to delay the meeting with the liason, until all merchants go away.

Ok i did that, the meeting started after all merchants dissapeared, but.. only could ask for the usual trading stuff, and he went away, leaving our fort without the baron. Perhaps ... it doesnt worked, because:
It was the first caravan (autumn 1051)?
i had very little wealth (120.000 aproximately when the meeting started)?
my population was very low (22)?
my expedition leader needs to be a mayor?
too low export (35k says now)
---
About animals... do newborn (recently captured, traded...) animals appear in a down position on the list to slaughter ( z-animals)?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: October 28, 2010, 08:29:00 am »

About animals... do newborn (recently captured, traded...) animals appear in a down position on the list to slaughter ( z-animals)?
Yep. Animal are also partially sorted on z screen. Trained animals seems to be at the bottom. For a true list based on order of creation use u screen

My question: does turning weather back on cause rain on old saves? It's been half a year and I see none.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: October 28, 2010, 08:34:55 am »

Need some help with the baron affair.

It was the first caravan (autumn 1051)?
i had very little wealth (120.000 aproximately when the meeting started)?
my population was very low (22)?
my expedition leader needs to be a mayor?
too low export (35k says now)

Of all those, I would suspect the population is the culprit.  Check the raws to see for sure, but I'm pretty sure you'll need more than 22.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: October 28, 2010, 08:56:57 am »

Two of my dwarves have named some old, bad-quality steel weapons... is it a good idea (or at all possible), to try and get them to switch over to masterwork steel weapons (or maybe adamantine), when I get them?

Basically I'm wondering if named weapons get bonuses similar to masterwork or if naming is just a cosmetic/minor effect.

Edit: Another question I forgot.. how much ammo can a quiver hold, and is it limited by total number of arrows or stacks? Up to now I've seen my dwarves using two stacks at most, i.e. 50 bolts.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:02:07 am by ioi101 »

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: October 28, 2010, 10:34:32 am »

Not really a question for this topic but... I see most of the people here putting quotes in their sigs. So I was wondering... Why? What kind of quotes should be put there? I want a sig too but I don't want to be different...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: October 28, 2010, 10:38:37 am »

It's just a bit of conversation we find partuclarly amusing or memorable. Nothing more, nothing less.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: October 28, 2010, 11:21:55 am »

Not really a question for this topic but... I see most of the people here putting quotes in their sigs. So I was wondering... Why? What kind of quotes should be put there? I want a sig too but I don't want to be different...
The best sigs are the one that's worth the extra time it take to load it on everyone else's screen and the time it take for them to read it, intentionally or otherwise. Assume they do read them every time, and make it worth.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: October 28, 2010, 11:44:45 am »

ioi101: re:named weapons

Its worth (and possible) getting them to switch out.  Im not certain exactly what benefits a 'named' weapon conveys.  Its relatively safe to say however that it wont be any more than artifact bonus which is an increase from 2x to 3x for aiming. 

General wisdom says that objects like iron artifact weapons are inferior to steel as the bonus doesnt make up for material changes

Therefore i'd imagine its safe to assume that a masterwork steel or any type of cotton candy will be better than a poor quality yet named steel weapon.

Incidentaly I replace weapons in this fashion but ive not yet ever tried melting down a named weapon, am unsure if it results in a bad thought like destroying a masterpiece/artifact creation (may not since the weapon isnt masterwork so the smith wont care and the guy who named it didnt create it.....who knows)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:47:20 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: October 28, 2010, 02:01:16 pm »

Do wild animals breed?

Also, will animals breed if one or both are in cages?
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 1178