Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118219 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4545 on: October 23, 2010, 09:44:25 pm »

How do you build over a pit exactly? I've been thinking of making a 'special' little "room" over the hole into the volcano. I had tried building a bridge, then building floors at the end of it but that made a cave-in.

Am I supposed to just build bridges connecting each other or something?
Every square you've built on needs a solid connection to the ground or it will collapse.

You'll probably have to build floors the whole way, or some use some other solid construction to connect at least one end of your bridge.

Nick

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4546 on: October 23, 2010, 09:44:44 pm »

Bridges don't provide support, except possibly to other bridges.  Build floors.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: October 23, 2010, 09:49:34 pm »

Beat you by 15 seconds!

Now for my little question:
The last dwarf caravan was driven from my depot by goblins. They retreated across the moat to my main island and stubbornly refuse to leave. They have a path to leave because the Elves got to my depot, and my dwarves can get from my main island to the depot. But they're just standing there.

This is a problem for me because I want my Count to become a Duke, and that can't happen until all the merchant dorfs leave.

What's wrong?

Can I fix it?

When will they leave?

Nick

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: October 23, 2010, 09:51:04 pm »

Within a year or so they should go insane, and then either die or be killed by your dwarves.  Not much else you can do, when a caravan gets bugged like this they don't leave.  If you order your military dwarves to kill them, you'll trigger a loyalty cascade that will probably result in all your dwarves killing each other.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: October 23, 2010, 09:59:08 pm »

What can merchants carry more of, metal bars or ore?
They only seem to want to carry at most four of any one object.  If for example you needed iron and you could only get it from traders, you'll want to request iron and one of each type of iron ore to get the maximum they will bring.

Oooh! And I can ask for iron cages and then melt them down!

(Currently, I have no flux or iron ore, so my best weapons are bronze or silver. Just this day I found some tin, so I plan on making a shitload of bismuth bronze until I run out of bismuth)
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: October 23, 2010, 10:01:47 pm »

Would say building a bridge supported by another bridge work? When I tried a floor tile, it just falls since there's no support since a dorf wouldn't survive long trying to build support inside a volcano.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: October 23, 2010, 10:03:24 pm »

Oh, right. Is there any reason at all to smelt lead?

Besides to give elves unimplemented lead poisoning ?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: October 23, 2010, 10:09:35 pm »

Lead isn't useful for armor or weapons, so it's just something to make metal furniture, crafts, or decorations from, or to fulfill "make lead items" mandates.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: October 23, 2010, 10:10:30 pm »

Within a year or so they should go insane, and then either die or be killed by your dwarves.  Not much else you can do, when a caravan gets bugged like this they don't leave.  If you order your military dwarves to kill them, you'll trigger a loyalty cascade that will probably result in all your dwarves killing each other.
When they go crazy will they start attacking my guys?

Their guards could do a lot of damage to my five-dwarf-army

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: October 23, 2010, 10:13:32 pm »

When they go crazy will they start attacking my guys?
They might, it depends on if they go berserk or if they go melancholy.

If they're all standing in the same area, you might want to consider building a wall around them or something.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: October 23, 2010, 10:30:11 pm »

Lead isn't useful for armor or weapons, so it's just something to make metal furniture, crafts, or decorations from, or to fulfill "make lead items" mandates.

Right, I know that. But what is it useful for? It's super heavy and "basic" at that.

Anyway, I remember there being some workaround to marksdwarves using their damn ammo to train (I have assigned 10 separate archery "ranges" to their squad which are actually single targets) and all you had to do was have ammo not in a stockpile or something like that. Well, I have 100 wood bolts, which should be assigned to them, and they aren't picking them up or shooting at the targets.
-herp da derp, it was in the bugs workaround thread

Also, when assigning ammo, does it do it for the whole squad or just per dwarf? Like, if I assign 250 bolts, does that mean each dwarf gets 250 or the entire squad splits them up?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:57:27 pm by Double A »

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: October 23, 2010, 11:59:32 pm »

Ah, excellent. I have figured out that my problem isn't marksdwarves picking up the ammo, it is them not training with it.

Yeah. I love that bug.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: October 24, 2010, 07:58:31 am »

If the regular tileset is too small for your taste, replace it with a different one.

EDIT: How do I change the truetype font the game uses?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:03:59 am by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: October 24, 2010, 09:54:28 am »

Also, when assigning ammo, does it do it for the whole squad or just per dwarf? Like, if I assign 250 bolts, does that mean each dwarf gets 250 or the entire squad splits them up?

The squad will split them up.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #4559 on: October 24, 2010, 01:01:54 pm »

random corpses are filling my coffins, and dorfs arent carrying them there! They just pop up into them themselves! O.o
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 1178