Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118042 times)

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4500 on: October 21, 2010, 06:23:10 am »

Is it possible for a dwarf to be accidentally maimed by a gear assembly? My dwarf was walking over one to get to the water wheel he was constructing and suddenly there was blood everywhere. I couldn't find any other cause for the injury, unless he was having a friendly game of Battle-Axe-Tag with his co-workers.
Was he actually injured?  All that blood could have washed off him if he had to walk through any water.

AlfFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: October 21, 2010, 12:37:58 pm »

I know this has been asked a lot, but I'm seeing conflicting info when I do searches. Do I really want to assign my dwarves with fiber clothes, then steel gear on top? I don't understand the whole coverage thing... and I'll want mail shirts as well as a breastplate correct? A mail shirt isn't enough on it's own? Also, is it worth it to equip a helm and a cap? Also, I assign all gauntlets and boots twice right? (Still doesn't seem to work but one alone doesn't either).

Thanks

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: October 21, 2010, 12:44:42 pm »

Is it possible for a dwarf to be accidentally maimed by a gear assembly? My dwarf was walking over one to get to the water wheel he was constructing and suddenly there was blood everywhere. I couldn't find any other cause for the injury, unless he was having a friendly game of Battle-Axe-Tag with his co-workers.
Was he actually injured?  All that blood could have washed off him if he had to walk through any water.

Oh, I didn't consider that. The fortress did just have it's first goblin ambush, perhaps he was one of the surviving members of the military. Sheesh, I gotta make sure my dwarves start taking baths. An entire fortress of dwarves covered in blood probably freaks the Hell out of traders.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: October 21, 2010, 01:58:53 pm »

I know this has been asked a lot, but I'm seeing conflicting info when I do searches. Do I really want to assign my dwarves with fiber clothes, then steel gear on top? I don't understand the whole coverage thing... and I'll want mail shirts as well as a breastplate correct? A mail shirt isn't enough on it's own? Also, is it worth it to equip a helm and a cap? Also, I assign all gauntlets and boots twice right? (Still doesn't seem to work but one alone doesn't either).

Thanks
If your dwarf is wearing multiple layers of armor, any attacker will have to go through both to injure them. For example, if a goblin archer fires at a dwarf with chain mail, the dwarf only makes one save to block the arrow.
But a dwarf with both chain mail and plate armor makes two saves.
Also, wearing multiple armor layers may[/] cause the armor user skill to level up faster.

Akiracee

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Cede Nullis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: October 21, 2010, 04:49:23 pm »

FPS

Can someone point me to a comprehensive list of methods to keep my FPS high?

Should I be closing down all kinds of processes on my computer? Should I abandon the laptop and move to the desktop? Etc...

Cheerio

A

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: October 21, 2010, 07:11:29 pm »

The wiki article on melting does not mention furniture other than cages. What are the returns on metal coffins and statues? How can I check? The furnace does not appear to accumulate 1/10ths of bars visibly.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: October 21, 2010, 07:16:24 pm »

FPS

Can someone point me to a comprehensive list of methods to keep my FPS high?

Should I be closing down all kinds of processes on my computer? Should I abandon the laptop and move to the desktop? Etc...

Cheerio

A

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Maximizing_framerate

And yeah, having fewer things demanding processor time is just a generally good idea.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: October 21, 2010, 08:37:34 pm »

Is there any difference between a millstone and a quern, other than that the millstone requires power?

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: October 21, 2010, 09:19:49 pm »

If you turn off ambushes (say you're trying to get your fort and military set-up to handle things before having FUN with any "guests"... >_>), will turning it back on cause ambushes and seiges to resume? Also, can you turn off ambushes for an active game? I'm playing the Civ Forge mod and let's just say I now have a newfound hatred of sand raiders...and their magical "flying ants".  :'(

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: October 21, 2010, 09:34:02 pm »

Is there any difference between a millstone and a quern, other than that the millstone requires power?

AFAIK, millstones work faster than querns, but otherwise perform the same function.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: October 21, 2010, 10:06:54 pm »

Is my artifact draltha bone short sword better than a steel sword?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: October 21, 2010, 10:22:19 pm »

Almost certainly not.
Sorry.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4512 on: October 21, 2010, 10:22:32 pm »

If you turn off ambushes (say you're trying to get your fort and military set-up to handle things before having FUN with any "guests"... >_>), will turning it back on cause ambushes and seiges to resume? Also, can you turn off ambushes for an active game? I'm playing the Civ Forge mod and let's just say I now have a newfound hatred of sand raiders...and their magical "flying ants".  :'(

Yes to the first, semi-yes to the second, when you turn it off, whatever siege/ambush/thief that was going to happen that season will still happen, after that you're home free.

Is my artifact draltha bone short sword better than a steel sword?
I would say no, but I haven't done any research on these newfangled material values.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: October 21, 2010, 10:55:12 pm »

Yes to the first, semi-yes to the second, when you turn it off, whatever siege/ambush/thief that was going to happen that season will still happen, after that you're home free.

Thank you kindly! Now I can do some mod testing in peace.

Megamet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: October 22, 2010, 12:07:18 pm »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or anything, but there seems to be a few problems that consistently pop up in adventure mode in my playthroughs.

1)Humans spawn naked.
Seriously, I must had depopulated three towns by now and none of them have so much as a lioncloth on them. Even the warlocks come at me with their bare hands, and the recruits never seem to get weapons.

2)There are no shops or shopkeepers
Yeah, kinda self explanatory.

3)Dwarf mountainhomes, Elven retreats and Goblin towers don't exist
Whenever I follow minimap icons to the source, all I get is an empty piece of land. There would be roads, there would be walls, but there just aren't any houses.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 1178