Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117640 times)

Alumjha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4425 on: October 17, 2010, 10:12:36 pm »

I cannot go(View) below Level 126, nor can I do any mining on that level. It is 18 levels below sea level, I am using 0.28.181.39e.

Is this because of my version, or have i not done something to allow me to get lower?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: October 17, 2010, 10:25:51 pm »

Okay, forgive a possibly stupid question but what effect does fertilizing have on crops? And is it even necessary?

It improves yield. It's not necessary at all, but it gives bigger stacks of crops.

Frankly, unless your main growers just got murdered by goblins, and you're really low on booze, you won't need to bother.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

DNK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: October 17, 2010, 10:39:34 pm »

I need some help. I keep channeling down and then mining and my miners get stuck and I can't get them out. What am I doing wrong here?

I have tried to get another dwarf to channel down to help them, but after removing "mining" from the labor prefs of the two miners and adding it to a top-side dwarf, then designating a channel, the topside dwarf just sits around in the meeting area. What am I doing wrong here?

Also, how do you undesignate a "build up stairway"? I have tried "removing designations" and "removing construction" but neither works.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: October 17, 2010, 11:06:36 pm »

How long does one unit of food feed a Dwarf?  What about booze?  All I know is 150 Dwarven Rum didn't last as long as 150 Fly Brain...  anyways, I just want to know for planning purposes.

Also, do Dwarves utilize mugs?  I've only used them as trade goods, so I haven't noticed if they can.  Just noting because I've seen Dwarves take their food to a dining table, but they always drink right from the barrel.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: October 17, 2010, 11:10:37 pm »

I cannot go(View) below Level 126, nor can I do any mining on that level. It is 18 levels below sea level, I am using 0.28.181.39e.

Is this because of my version, or have i not done something to allow me to get lower?

When you say Level 126, do you mean -126? If so, that is likely the very bottom of your map. I ask because having that far underground be only 18 lvls below sea level is rather astounding.

How long does one unit of food feed a Dwarf?  What about booze?  All I know is 150 Dwarven Rum didn't last as long as 150 Fly Brain...  anyways, I just want to know for planning purposes.

Also, do Dwarves utilize mugs?  I've only used them as trade goods, so I haven't noticed if they can.  Just noting because I've seen Dwarves take their food to a dining table, but they always drink right from the barrel.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Food

Every season, dwarves need 2 units of food and 4 units of booze. While planning out what you need, bear in mind the fact that migrants will eat into your surplus; literally.

Mugs are not used for anything in DF right now other than trade.

Incidentally, I'll go ahead and ask this one again, as it has again annoyed me; Any way to tell whether an evil area is full of zombies or fantastic creatures? I thought it might be color coding, but that is evidently not the case. Stupid zombie cavern dwellers...

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: October 18, 2010, 12:25:15 am »

I need some help. I keep channeling down and then mining and my miners get stuck and I can't get them out. What am I doing wrong here?

Channeling creates a hole with a ramp on one side to get out. By mining out that hole, they're removing the ramp to get out.

I have tried to get another dwarf to channel down to help them, but after removing "mining" from the labor prefs of the two miners and adding it to a top-side dwarf, then designating a channel, the topside dwarf just sits around in the meeting area. What am I doing wrong here?

Your old (trapped) miners still have the picks!

Also, how do you undesignate a "build up stairway"? I have tried "removing designations" and "removing construction" but neither works.

If it hasn't been built yet, treat it like you would a building. (|q|uery the place and then |x|)

DNK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: October 18, 2010, 12:48:20 am »

I figured out how to get rid of the stairway. It was actually half-built. I forget now how I did it, but I did it somehow.

I think my issue with stuck dwarves may be due to improper ramp usage. Is the issue with getting new miners a lack of picks (I only had none for the new miner)?

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: October 18, 2010, 01:02:26 am »

A couple of questions here (well, the top two that are bugging me atm).

With left-clicking on your mouse to designate areas to mine (and to designate rocks/items you want to be added to a Quantum Stockpile), when I get close to where my mouse-arrow is on the map, clicking does nothing (about 10-15 squares away).  Also, it only seems to work for areas to the North side of the mouse-arrow.  Is there something I need to be doing in the .ini files or an option somewhere to enable it to work properly?

On a somewhat related note.  Is there any way to have multiple Quantum stockpiles and have each set to accept only one type of item?  FE - a whole field of different types of rocks/ores, have Limestone go to one Quantum, Iron ores to another, etc - when the whole group is selected to be hauled?  So it's being sorted?  Right now I have to pick out the ones to go to a Quantum, have them hauled, remove the Quantum (and Claim), then set up a new Quantum for the next type of rock/ore.  Or I wait until everything is hauled, then select that former BIG Quantum, go in via (k) and de-select the items to either stay there, or to go to the next Quantum set up.

PS - Oh, I'm using the latest .16 game with the latest Lazy Newb Pack.  The left-click wasn't working when I tried Phoebus first, uninstalled and installed the Lazy Newb.  I haven't tried installing a Vanilla game (only been playing about a week or so).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:13:35 am by GJScarritt »

Alumjha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: October 18, 2010, 01:26:24 am »

I mean I cannot View or Mine below  -18, not very deep at all! I can't figure if its my version, a bug or the like.

- "I cannot go(View) below Level 126, nor can I do any mining on that level. It is 18 levels below sea level, I am using 0.28.181.39e."

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: October 18, 2010, 01:46:00 am »

GJ, no, there is no automatic sorting for dump designations; it'll all go to the same place.  If you want sorting, that's what stockpiles are for!  You could set up stockpiles for each good next to (or around) the quantum storage for that good and just dump everything in the stockpile every so often; dwarves will dump in the nearest garbage dump, so if you have a dump next to every stockpile they'll technically sort your quantum storage.  Two problems, though: you only get to choose what kind of thing your dumping, not where it's from, and you have to dump designate every so often.

Can't help you with the mouse problem, though.

Alumjha, if you're using .39e, you won't be able to get past -18.  The underground in old versions was capped at -15 from the lowest point on the map.  Then again, there wasn't much to do down there anyhow.  The save-break changed that around quite a bit.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:47:48 am by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: October 18, 2010, 05:38:43 am »

Incidentally, I'll go ahead and ask this one again, as it has again annoyed me; Any way to tell whether an evil area is full of zombies or fantastic creatures? I thought it might be color coding, but that is evidently not the case. Stupid zombie cavern dwellers...

well since you quoted the wiki already i'll assume you searched it: DF2010:Map Legend

i'm not sure i understand your question though - did you use the legend to embark on a "mirthful" tile for example, and ended up with zombies? are you sure you didn't embark on a biome change or something?
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

AlfFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: October 18, 2010, 11:57:21 am »

I notice that in the Wiki page, Unicorns are said to make "good pets" and have a high pet value. What does this mean? I have a bunch on my map. Should I put some cage traps out there, haul them in and train them using the kennels? Then do I assign them to dwarfs? Should I let them wander my fortress? Maybe I can tie them up as guards like war dogs? What should I do with them?

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: October 18, 2010, 12:02:11 pm »

dunno where you read that - the wiki clearly states they are untameable even with the DM and even in 40d it says they cant be tamed unless tags are added to their raw

sorry to disappoint but it seems that unless you edit the raws there is no way to tame unicorns. and if you do edit the raws then you just tame them like any other animal i'd guess.

in vanilla you're better of genociding them ;D
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

AlfFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: October 18, 2010, 12:19:17 pm »

Ah, you're right. How could I miss that?

Well I know this is very undwarfy, but I've vowed to make a vegetarian dwarf fort, so no Unicorn genocide :( Their main industry is clothing. Yeah, it's a pretty fruity fort. Thanks for the reply!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: October 18, 2010, 12:37:15 pm »

well since you quoted the wiki already i'll assume you searched it: DF2010:Map Legend

i'm not sure i understand your question though - did you use the legend to embark on a "mirthful" tile for example, and ended up with zombies? are you sure you didn't embark on a biome change or something?

He means the difference between Fantastic Evil (glumprongs, Foul Blendecs), Mundane Evil (Ogres), and Undead Evil (self-explanatory)
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1178