Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117564 times)

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4395 on: October 16, 2010, 10:06:45 pm »

I've read that dumping a sandbag will create a sand tile but I've never tried it.

My question is, what's the deal with dwarfs getting upset at long patrol duty, then getting upset at being taken off duty?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: October 16, 2010, 10:10:21 pm »

Negative thoughts from being taken off-duty happen because your military dwarves don't know how to do anything else. Give them hobbies.

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: October 16, 2010, 10:19:58 pm »

My butcher has the "was satisfied at work lately" which they only get if they come into close proximity with something they like during their duties.
Are you sure that's what that means?  My impression was that it meant that they had an adequate amount of work with a job they had a skill with, whereas the thought "upset about lack of work last season" meant they hadn't done enough work that they had a relevant skill with.

I've never seen a dwarf upset about lack of work in .31. I think that only matters with the economy from .28.

TL;DR: I want the delicious magma, but only magma I can find is from the magma sea. There are several caverns in the way filled with Urist knows what and I have no idea how to get a magma pump going, nevermind in a cavern. So, what the hell should I do?

Read the wiki article about pump stacks. Dig down however you see fit. I don't understand why people are afraid of caverns. Yeah, they have stuff that's dangerous for civilian dwarfs but they don't exactly spew death at you the moment you breach them. Put some traps or station a squad near the cavern entrance.

Build a short pump stack for practice. Once you've got the basics down, extend it up where you want it. When you have to pierce a cavern, use constructed walls and floors instead of mining. You'll have to build a bit of scaffolding to set everything up right. Just try not to come up through an underground lake.

Keep in mind that these things need a lot of power. I hope you have access to a river. My magma pump stack is only about 30 levels tall and it takes four or five waterwheels to power it.

Use only magma-safe materials. Green glass is good for pipes and screws.

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: October 16, 2010, 10:27:07 pm »

Negative thoughts from being taken off-duty happen because your military dwarves don't know how to do anything else. Give them hobbies.

So only peasants get mad at being taken off duty? Well I'll be.

It's funny because all their labor preferences turn off anyway when the go off duty...

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: October 16, 2010, 10:53:07 pm »

My butcher has the "was satisfied at work lately" which they only get if they come into close proximity with something they like during their duties.
Are you sure that's what that means?  My impression was that it meant that they had an adequate amount of work with a job they had a skill with, whereas the thought "upset about lack of work last season" meant they hadn't done enough work that they had a relevant skill with.

I've never seen a dwarf upset about lack of work in .31. I think that only matters with the economy from .28.
Satisfied at work is definitely not related, every single dorfs of mine has it regardless of preference. There's nothing shown explicitly when a dorf work with objects of his liking, however.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: October 16, 2010, 11:11:10 pm »

I've got a bunch of captured deer, and they're preventing more wildlife from spawning, so I thought I'd tame them and then butcher them.

So I picked open the raws and changed the PET_EXOTIC tag to PET for deer because no DM, then fired up my game and built a kennel... nothing? What am I doing wrong?

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: October 16, 2010, 11:39:41 pm »

Was it the raws for your world and not the default that you edited?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: October 16, 2010, 11:41:03 pm »

I edited for that world. Am I supposed to do the defaults, too? That would explain it.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: October 17, 2010, 01:45:22 am »

New one: In the military menu, when you assign gauntlets and boots to a uniform... is that assigning A gauntlet or boot, or a pair?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: October 17, 2010, 06:28:13 am »

It assigns 1 not a pair. Unless this has changed in the last 0.0.4 versions.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: October 17, 2010, 08:04:27 am »

Hey Guys, my first Post in this forum^^

First, im sorry if my english is bad, im from Switzerland and i have my english mostly from games and a bit from school or books. Youre free to say mean things if you dont understand what im writing :D

I Started with Dwarf Fortress a few days ago and had about 4 Fortress since then, of course i had alot of Newbie Problems first which i need help to solve (I did the Play along by Tiny Pirate and watched some Tutorials but they didnt cover what i need to know now:

- Im in fear of Immigrants, in my first Game after the first wave invaded my Home one of them went Berserk (i didnt know why and i dont know now either) and killed a bunch of my Dwarves before i managed to lock him up and let him die of Thirst. Whats the common trigger of a Dwarf go berserk? Can they go mad about not having something to do? With the immigrants came a bunch of Workers i didnt need (A Gemcutter for example, i dint have any gems nor a Workshop for him or a Tanner, i dont even know what to do with a tanner)

- Linked with the problem above, is there a way to change the profession of a dwarf? I used Dwarf Manager to take the permission of cutting gems for the Gemcutter and gave him the Permission to mine. I hoped that way he would just dig and have something to do and not going on a Dwarf killingspree like the other guy. But he didnt mine and just stood there doin nuthin, and after a while he went melancholy and died of thirst (i should have build razorblades just so i can enjoy the death of the Sucker!)

- My biggest Problem is finding a good Place to embark. I used the finder but either he didnt spew out a Place with a Mountain or there where no Limestones (you need them for Iron and stuff?). It would be good to know what i actually NEED at the place i want to build, my last fortress wasnt able to make Iron and Steel, shortly after they were Slaughtered by a Goblin Ambush because i had only Wood Weapons and some Leather armor.

- And last, something about Trees and wild Animals. Do Tress regrow after you cut them down? I allways have this fear that i run out of wood before i find Magma (or because i dont find any Magma). And for the Animals, the only ones i see are the pets i have (a Horse, Cats and some Dogs mostly) do they Spawn randomly? I gave my Butcher the order to cath a Animal but the Order stood there for the whole Spring and partly summer and he never brought a Animal home (seriously, after reading about Dwarfs im pretty sure the Wildlife is just smarter than him and he stays outside and swears at a Deer from 100 Meters away).

Srry if this is some noobish stuff, but it would help me alot, and i really like the game until now and it would be sad if i miss alot of stuff because of stupidity.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4406 on: October 17, 2010, 08:06:01 am »

I've read that dumping a sandbag will create a sand tile but I've never tried it.
It creates a (useless) pile of sand, not a sand tile, unfortunately.  I have heard it claimed that you can collapse a sand tile floor many Z-levels down to make a sand collection spot near your magma glass furnaces, but I've never tried it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4407 on: October 17, 2010, 08:26:50 am »

- Im in fear of Immigrants, in my first Game after the first wave invaded my Home one of them went Berserk (i didnt know why and i dont know now either) and killed a bunch of my Dwarves before i managed to lock him up and let him die of Thirst. Whats the common trigger of a Dwarf go berserk? Can they go mad about not having something to do? With the immigrants came a bunch of Workers i didnt need (A Gemcutter for example, i dint have any gems nor a Workshop for him or a Tanner, i dont even know what to do with a tanner)

First:  You can set the population cap to limit immigrants.  This will require you to edit the file d_init.txt, which you can find in your dwarf fortress install folder under the data/init folder.  Find the line that says  [POPULATION_CAP:200] and change the 200 to something smaller, like 20.  You will still get a few immigrant waves, the first two to arrive seem to occur no matter what and the population cap doesn't seem to apply until after the first fortress liaison visits and then leaves the map anyway. 

Second, going Berserk is something that can happen when a dwarf is massively unhappy for a while.  He might be unhappy due to not having anywhere to sleep, or having no booze to drink, or seeing his friends torn apart by goblins, or any of a hundred other reasons.  You can see how a dwarf is feeling and what's bothering him by pressing 'v', moving the cursor over that dwarf, pressing 'z', then pressing return.

Third:  Tanners turn raw animal skins into leather.

- Linked with the problem above, is there a way to change the profession of a dwarf? I used Dwarf Manager to take the permission of cutting gems for the Gemcutter and gave him the Permission to mine. I hoped that way he would just dig and have something to do and not going on a Dwarf killingspree like the other guy. But he didnt mine and just stood there doin nuthin, and after a while he went melancholy and died of thirst (i should have build razorblades just so i can enjoy the death of the Sucker!)

A dwarf needs a pickaxe to mine, even if he has the mining skill enabled.

I've never used Dwarf Manager.  You can change a dwarf's job permissions by pressing 'v', moving the cursor to the dwarf, pressing 'p' then pressing 'l' to get to his job labors screen.  Some jobs (such as mining and woodcutting) need a tool to be performed.

- My biggest Problem is finding a good Place to embark. I used the finder but either he didnt spew out a Place with a Mountain or there where no Limestones (you need them for Iron and stuff?). It would be good to know what i actually NEED at the place i want to build, my last fortress wasnt able to make Iron and Steel, shortly after they were Slaughtered by a Goblin Ambush because i had only Wood Weapons and some Leather armor.

I never actually use the site finder anymore, it's nearly useless.  I look for sites manually, based mostly off what kind of stone layers are present.  Sedimentary layers contain iron ore and coal.  Limestone in particular is good for this.  Trees are useful to have, rivers and brooks are good for a reliable source of water, Marble is a good flux stone for making steel, and you want to avoid aquifers.  I have found that what you're going to need is pretty much constant no matter where you're going to embark.  I also am in the habit of using walls and traps as my main defense against enemies, so I don't worry so much about armor and weapons early on.

- And last, something about Trees and wild Animals. Do Tress regrow after you cut them down? I allways have this fear that i run out of wood before i find Magma (or because i dont find any Magma). And for the Animals, the only ones i see are the pets i have (a Horse, Cats and some Dogs mostly) do they Spawn randomly? I gave my Butcher the order to cath a Animal but the Order stood there for the whole Spring and partly summer and he never brought a Animal home (seriously, after reading about Dwarfs im pretty sure the Wildlife is just smarter than him and he stays outside and swears at a Deer from 100 Meters away).
Trees regrow eventually.  In a spot where plants can grow, undisturbed outdoor soil tiles at first, you will first see a sapling appear.  If your dwarves step on the sapling repeatedly they may kill it, if not after a few years it will turn into a tree.

The 'catch a live land animal' task requires you to first build animal traps at a carpenter's shop.  It's only for catching small vermin-type animals (rats and such) so it's pretty much useless.  To capture deer and other useful large animals you need to first build cages at a carpenter's shop, then build a few mechanisms at a mechanic's shop, then build cage traps out somewhere where deer will blunder into them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: October 17, 2010, 11:12:57 am »

ok i got two tiny questions: first, how much of a pentalty do dwarves get from metal armor? should i equip my marksdwarves with metal armor or is it better to keep them on leather (which is what i do)?

and how do you make a letter appear like a key in a post? there doesnt seem to be a tag like that on the post reply form
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: October 17, 2010, 12:59:46 pm »

There are no armor check penalties in dwarf fortress. Stick your marksdwarves in steel same as anyone else

Is there any way to prevent ash, potash, and pearlash from showing up in the construction menu? I'm building walls and I don't want to accidentally snipe my clear glass industry.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 1178