Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117519 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4350 on: October 14, 2010, 10:52:41 pm »

What can I do with gypsum other than use it for casts which don't work?

I can't seem to build floors of buildings or anything with it =/

It's an economic stone; you have to enable it in the stones menu.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: October 15, 2010, 02:05:09 am »

Okay, I ended up with yet another cyclops-inna-box. However, this time I think I have an idea to dispose of it.

Step 1) |b|uild cyclops cage in remote location.
Step 2) |b|uild spike traps all around
Step 3) |b|uild lever some distance away, link to cage.
Step 5) |b|uild wall around cyclops and spikes, carefully keeping dorfs out of the area.
Step 6) Re|q|uest |a|ction, |P|ull lever, hope cyclops spikes itself to death.

If cyclops dies, remove wall, cook cyclops burgers.

Thoughts before I implement this zany scheme? Particularly, reasons it wouldn't work?

ETA: Alternate idea, fill the chamber with water and deconstruct the cage. I've got a few working water pipes, so...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 02:52:31 am by proxn_punkd »

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: October 15, 2010, 03:45:41 am »

Another question..maybe not so little ???

I've tired of two my best soldier dwarves with some girly leg cuts lying in beds for 4 years, i wanted to do a little cheating, to heal them up. Considering the amount of bugs in medicine, that wouldn't be much of cheating. What programs can i use? Cheat engine? How could i find memory entry, responsible for damages, they are quite complex.

Version 31.16

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: October 15, 2010, 03:48:05 am »

If a dwarf gets an infected wound, do they ever recover? or do they always get sick and die eventually? There's no diagnosis request, so it won't get cleaned... Right now she is faint and crawling around

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: October 15, 2010, 03:49:10 am »

If a dwarf gets an infected wound, do they ever recover? or do they always get sick and die eventually? There's no diagnosis request, so it won't get cleaned... Right now she is faint and crawling around
Pure luck.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: October 15, 2010, 06:36:08 am »

Step 1) |b|uild cyclops cage in remote location.
Step 2) |b|uild spike traps all around
Step 3) |b|uild lever some distance away, link to cage.
Step 5) |b|uild wall around cyclops and spikes, carefully keeping dorfs out of the area.
Step 6) Re|q|uest |a|ction, |P|ull lever, hope cyclops spikes itself to death.

Looks good. Kill it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: October 15, 2010, 07:28:31 am »

So I've repeatedly read that if you dig deep enough, you're guaranteed to hit cotton candy and magma.  I just dug down 159 Z-Levels from the surface (from 148 past 0 to -11?) and hit semi-molten rock... no HFS, cotton candy, or magma.  I'm digging some tunnels at this level just to see if I find anything, but otherwise I'm kind of at a loss.  Am I at the very bottom of the map?  How the hell do I go about finding magma from here?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: October 15, 2010, 07:38:25 am »

There's a guaranteed magma "sea" in the very lowest cavern layer. It is entirely possible for a shaft to miss it, however. Semi-molten rock is an excellent garbage disposal.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: October 15, 2010, 07:55:42 am »

EDIT: Also, what biomes will Sliver Barbs grow in? According to the wiki, they need evil and dry. Scrape'm out of badlands? Savannah dry enough? Safe bet that the moist tropical forest is out...

(supposedly) Any non-freezing evil biome. The [DRY] tag just means that the plant will not be found within two tiles of a murky pool or a river.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: October 15, 2010, 01:20:37 pm »

Is pus a bad sign?

There's a pool of it by the dwarf-wash station.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: October 15, 2010, 01:22:54 pm »

My understanding of water/pressure plates:

Given a 4x1 tunnel filled with water to depth 3334, the 2010 wiki is unclear but the 40d section on water says the 4/7 level will 'move around'. The same page (evaporation) suggests that the 4/7 depth might be something less than 4/7.

If a pressure plate set to 4/7 min/max is somewhere in the hallway will it periodically trigger?

An alternate depth would be 1222 (1/1 plate) which should eventually all evaporate (which could then trigger something else.)

I'm in a location where I can't test. ):

AlfFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: October 15, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »

So no caravans have arrived in my first year (it's now Spring), and I'm a little worried. I have a Trade Depot that is clearly accessible, yet they haven't shown up. Is it possible the dwarfs are dead in this world? I let the world generate completely (to 1050) or whatever. Is there anyway to check this?

Also I made a moat by channeling a 2 wide corridor around my walls and then flooding it, forgetting to remove the ramps inside. It is only 1 tile deep too. Will Gobbos just swim/walk through? I have temperature off, but I'm thinking of turning it back on so that I can mine through the ice. Would that work? Thanks!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4362 on: October 15, 2010, 02:51:18 pm »

So no caravans have arrived in my first year (it's now Spring), and I'm a little worried. I have a Trade Depot that is clearly accessible, yet they haven't shown up. Is it possible the dwarfs are dead in this world? I let the world generate completely (to 1050) or whatever. Is there anyway to check this?
Press 'c' to look at the civilization screen.  If the dwarven civilization has 'no important leaders', then the dwarven civilization is dead.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

AlfFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: October 15, 2010, 03:02:07 pm »

Press 'c' to look at the civilization screen.  If the dwarven civilization has 'no important leaders', then the dwarven civilization is dead.

Thanks for the quick reply... How will this affect my game? I'm at 15 dwarves after 2 migration waves. I've heard if the civ is dead no more will come. Does that mean I need to set up some dwarf orgies? Also no nobles? Anything else that will potentially ruin this awesome fortress of mine? Is it worth playing with the Dwarves being dead?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4364 on: October 15, 2010, 03:09:15 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply... How will this affect my game? I'm at 15 dwarves after 2 migration waves. I've heard if the civ is dead no more will come. Does that mean I need to set up some dwarf orgies? Also no nobles? Anything else that will potentially ruin this awesome fortress of mine? Is it worth playing with the Dwarves being dead?
You will get no nobles, and the only dwarves are the ones you have now and their children.  You probably cannot support a significant military defense, so get used to relying heavily on traps and simply walling off anything dangerous to survive.  You're going to have to be very careful with your population if you want to survive long-term.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 1178