Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117352 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4305 on: October 12, 2010, 10:43:30 pm »

Ah, okay. Thought as much.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: October 12, 2010, 11:43:20 pm »

Farm plot straight onto subterranean soil, but no seeds available for this location. Wtf?
Underground always needs mud.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: October 13, 2010, 05:47:40 am »

2nd year. All civ access, no war, depot available and accessible. Spring came and gone, no elven caravan. HOW!?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: October 13, 2010, 07:15:51 am »

I've had caravans come a season later than they were supposed to in the 31.XX series.

re: Cat Food

Note that the products of butchery are no longer fixed. fatter animals give more meat.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: October 13, 2010, 09:37:38 am »

How does a manager job work with 3-digit numbers?
I've assigned my masons to construct 143 blocks. It only shows up as 13.
Will he designate 10 more orders of 13 after that one's done?
No.

If you tell the manager to queue up more then 30 jobs it will only queue up 30 jobs, so it sounds like you missed the 4 in 143.

To get 143 jobs you have to do 30 four times, and then a fifth set of 23 jobs.

Nick

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: October 13, 2010, 10:37:38 am »

I've had caravans come a season later than they were supposed to in the 31.XX series.

Note that the products of butchery are no longer fixed. fatter animals give more meat.

So, does this mean I should start animal husbandry to get bigger, fatter animals with more meat?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: October 13, 2010, 11:19:41 am »

So, does this mean I should start animal husbandry to get bigger, fatter animals with more meat?

If it's THAT important to you, I guess you could, but it's not like food is hard to come by in the first place.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: October 13, 2010, 11:50:13 am »

It improves efficiency. More food per stack, and thus more food per meal.

Besides, it's about as much use as elaborate megaconstructions.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: October 13, 2010, 03:07:13 pm »

If it's THAT important to you, I guess you could, but it's not like food is hard to come by in the first place.
Food is not hard to come by but once well managed it's one of the best export industry your dorfs can get their hand on.
Factors to consider animal types for breeding: Rate of growth. Adult size. Litter size (amount of children it can produce in one go.) Max age if you do selective breeding. Accessibility, what biome it is in, what other animals also available in said biome and is it exotic. Other use i.e. trainable, milkable, pet value.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: October 13, 2010, 03:31:01 pm »

Is it possible to cage an unconscious creature? That would be a nice feature if you had a "take prisoners" style of playing
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4315 on: October 13, 2010, 03:53:58 pm »

Is it possible to cage an unconscious creature? That would be a nice feature if you had a "take prisoners" style of playing
You can't cage a creature that's not either tame or already caged.  I suppose you could build a cage trap next to it and then use a pump to push water to shove the creature onto the cage trap, but that's a bit much to set up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Akiracee

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Cede Nullis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: October 13, 2010, 04:19:18 pm »

Hey all.

This is my first post and I'm still a noob.

How I learned to play: Capn Duck videos. Magmawiki. A few posts here.
My game experience: repetitive goblin massacres @ ~ 10 forts. Some starvation. Some dehydration. --- still learning.

My little background: I usually build a large room as a dining room, add tables and chairs, with food stored nearby. Seems to work fine. I had previously been assigning a table to every dwarf, but once I started getting better - and getting more immigrants - this was too time consuming.

My little question: I have been designating each table to fill the whole room as a Dining Room. Then marking each as a "Meeting Hall." Do I need to do this? Or can I just do it to one table?

A similar question could be for a room filled with beds - do I need to make each bed fill the room as a bedroom and mark it as a barracks, or can I just do it to one?

A

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: October 13, 2010, 04:32:34 pm »

Hey all.

This is my first post and I'm still a noob.

How I learned to play: Capn Duck videos. Magmawiki. A few posts here.
My game experience: repetitive goblin massacres @ ~ 10 forts. Some starvation. Some dehydration. --- still learning.

My little background: I usually build a large room as a dining room, add tables and chairs, with food stored nearby. Seems to work fine. I had previously been assigning a table to every dwarf, but once I started getting better - and getting more immigrants - this was too time consuming.

My little question: I have been designating each table to fill the whole room as a Dining Room. Then marking each as a "Meeting Hall." Do I need to do this? Or can I just do it to one table?

A similar question could be for a room filled with beds - do I need to make each bed fill the room as a bedroom and mark it as a barracks, or can I just do it to one?

A
Only need the one. Everything in the range will be part of the room (mostly). Overlapping rooms decreases room quality.

Akiracee

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Cede Nullis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: October 13, 2010, 04:37:27 pm »

Thanks. I figured maybe I was going overboard.

Overlapping rooms decreases room quality.

Ah. Didn't realize this point.

Although, I should mention that my dwarves seem happy with my dining halls, even though each table has designated the room as a dining room and hall. The room is usually just in dirt, as well, and not stone (so it isn't smoothed), and is unadorned with trinkets. I haven't noticed any complaints.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: October 13, 2010, 04:39:49 pm »

Enough decoration will overcome.
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 1178