Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117345 times)

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4290 on: October 12, 2010, 01:56:57 pm »

Strip the goblins of their weapons and any nice silks if you want the stuff....but leaving a goblin kitted out with his armour means he lasts a lot longer in the shooting gallery and you get more training per gobbo that actually goes down.  If you dont really need a big pile of copper/iron then its little loss.

Now my question....

Yes, thats what i'm talking about, i din't want to strip them, As for your problem, i prefer not to use alerts to control squads. I use burrows to restrict civs inside the fort, and control militia with "s" menu, I find it more convinient.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: October 12, 2010, 02:07:46 pm »

This is sort of a meta-DF question, but why are there suddenly so many new people having trouble figuring out how stairs work? I've seen people ask about stairs like a hundred times in the past two weeks. Why is this suddenly so much more difficult to figure out than anything else in the game?

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: October 12, 2010, 03:01:51 pm »

This is sort of a meta-DF question, but why are there suddenly so many new people having trouble figuring out how stairs work? I've seen people ask about stairs like a hundred times in the past two weeks. Why is this suddenly so much more difficult to figure out than anything else in the game?
I think it's more that the stairs vs ramps question was brought up recently, and never resolved, so new players ask for a resolution.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: October 12, 2010, 03:43:01 pm »

I think it's more that the stairs vs ramps question was brought up recently, and never resolved, so new players ask for a resolution.

No, no, I mean, it's like every day I see a new thread about "How do I make stairs work?" either here, on /tg/, or on GameFAQs.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: October 12, 2010, 04:29:30 pm »

How does a manager job work with 3-digit numbers?
I've assigned my masons to construct 143 blocks. It only shows up as 13.
Will he designate 10 more orders of 13 after that one's done?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: October 12, 2010, 04:32:27 pm »

How does a manager job work with 3-digit numbers?
I've assigned my masons to construct 143 blocks. It only shows up as 13.
Will he designate 10 more orders of 13 after that one's done?
I've only been able to request 30 at a time.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: October 12, 2010, 05:40:56 pm »

Can you still not view a caged creature's inventory? I remember reading something from a long time ago that you couldn't, and I can't find a way to do it now, so was it not changed?
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: October 12, 2010, 07:23:08 pm »

Shouldn't you get meat/bones from slaughtering tame stray cats? All I seem to get is skulls. Other tame animals seem to give proper stuff from being butchered.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: October 12, 2010, 07:24:24 pm »

Giant jaguar prowling around just after embark. Defenses consist of two war dogs and a swordsdwarf with no sword. How can I tell it to piss off/harvest it's valuable skull and bones?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: October 12, 2010, 08:22:03 pm »

Shouldn't you get meat/bones from slaughtering tame stray cats? All I seem to get is skulls. Other tame animals seem to give proper stuff from being butchered.
I've been wondering this as well, I think it may be due to an inexperienced butcher.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4300 on: October 12, 2010, 08:46:55 pm »

Cats are too small to give bones.  The new material system calculates how much of each butchery result you get, and if it's less than one unit you get nothing.  Cats have less than one unit of bone in their body, so you get nothing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: October 12, 2010, 08:59:30 pm »

Wait, no meat either?
Darnit. My cat grow op is worthless now.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: October 12, 2010, 09:06:18 pm »

IIRC Kitten leaves behind nothing but a skull. Grown cat does indeed give stuff. wiki On a side note, cat is a horrible creature to breed because they pick owner at random. Without heavy micromanagement, they'd eventually be adopted over racial pop cap and stop breeding. Stick to dogs, you can never go wrong with them. Bigger, breed like bunnies, trainable and also have 1 year childhood.

The dwarven caravan can only bring animals that are associated with the surroundings of their area.  So if the dwarves are really close by, they may be in the same area as you so will also have no access to muskox.  Elves on the other hand seem to be able to turn up with just about anything, they are usually your best bet for completing breeding pairs
You won't come with a muskox if your civ doesn't have access to them.
Indeed, my civ is in a glacial/cold temperate thus they have access to muskox. I just wonder if their caravan eventually use one as beast of burden, else my female muskox is wasted. On a side note, I didnt get just that muskox, but also a horse. They sent 2 beasts of burden while I have only 4 units of booze and a bag of sand in the wagon. How's that possible O_O;
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:11:23 pm by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: October 12, 2010, 10:22:41 pm »

Farm plot straight onto subterranean soil, but no seeds available for this location. Wtf?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: October 12, 2010, 10:27:31 pm »

Farm plot straight onto subterranean soil, but no seeds available for this location. Wtf?
You need muddy terrain. Remember that dorfs know overland farming just as well.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 1178