Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117260 times)

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4275 on: October 11, 2010, 10:40:30 pm »

Ice melts. If the magma then touches water.... Constructed ice will never melt.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: October 11, 2010, 11:06:16 pm »

The magma and water will turn to obsidian, and the water, now separated from the magma, will re-freeze.

Lepinaut

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: October 12, 2010, 03:55:59 am »

Hello all,

Tried to go as long as I could without asking questions.  Just two.  How do I release dwarves who are stuck in cages/traps?  And my military can be stationed but whenever I order them to attack their action says "cannot follow orders"?  Thank you!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: October 12, 2010, 03:58:00 am »

build a chain somewhere, move the dwarf to the chain, release it from the chain

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: October 12, 2010, 04:01:49 am »

Little question, i got 9000 goblins in cages, i want them to be assigned into one quantum cage, built to a lever, is it safe to reassign them? Will they flee, or harm my dwarves? I don't really want to strip them.

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: October 12, 2010, 05:38:15 am »

Little question, i got 9000 goblins in cages, i want them to be assigned into one quantum cage, built to a lever, is it safe to reassign them? Will they flee, or harm my dwarves? I don't really want to strip them.

Do not reassign thieves or master thieves. They always escape. The rest you can safely quantum pile in a built cage.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: October 12, 2010, 08:23:13 am »

Many thanks! Very helpful, now i'll build a cage with all goblins behind the fortification, and pull the lever, to train my marksmans.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: October 12, 2010, 09:29:06 am »

you can also strip them of their weapon:

mark all the cage to be dumped via the area command, 'd'esignation-'b'-'d'ump

mark the cage individually to be dumped via the loo'k' and then 'd'

let some time pass to allow your dwarves to dump item in the cage

and only then release the goblin  :D

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: October 12, 2010, 09:48:15 am »

Strip the goblins of their weapons and any nice silks if you want the stuff....but leaving a goblin kitted out with his armour means he lasts a lot longer in the shooting gallery and you get more training per gobbo that actually goes down.  If you dont really need a big pile of copper/iron then its little loss.

Now my question....

Im still failing horribly on the military front and need someone to spell this out as monosyllabically as possible (i.e. which keys i need to hit in which order)

My dwarves are in squads, they are geared up and they train...not a problem.  I have a custom alert created and i fiddled their schedule so that they all have training every month with minimum number to train a few below squad size to let them sub out for food/drink.

Thats done and isnt an issue

What I fail with every single time is the following:
1) An ambush is spotted, usually by a wandering fisherman/woodcutter or maybe by the war dog chain at the gate
2) I need to get all the civies inside and all the bad boys from their barracks up to the gate
3) I understand that this is done through burrows, I have a safe burrow designated that covers the interior across all z-levels so the civies get minimal interruption.  I have a 'gate' burrow that covers just inside my trap line at the gap in my walls.

How do i now tell people that their burrow assignments are now in effect?
I have added dwarves to the correct burrows through the 'c' key, military on the gate, everyone else on the safe
What I struggle with is how to then indicate that I wish everyone to switch from business as usual to burrows only....I figure its gonna be through 'e' edit orders in the schedule somewhere but navigating that particular loop of menus is making my brain hurt.....do i want another alert that i can issue to make the switch?  The only order i can use through schedules is train as i havent figured out how to change them (this is where i really need the precise menu key combos)

EDIT: Found part of it, managed through the alert screen to set all the civies onto my safe burrow, when i set my squads onto the gate burrow however they dont leave the barracks, theyre sitting their waiting for a 4th man to show and start some demonstration...despite this entire room (and floor, and the 6 floors above) being outside their burrow
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 11:17:07 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Avengor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: October 12, 2010, 11:41:07 am »

Greetings all,

I'm playing through TinyPirate's tutorial (I'm know this is DF2010, but I don't think my problem is specific to version) and I have a problem where every now and then my Kitchen and Butcher workshops will spew miasma. It's gotten bad enough that I had to deconstruct both workshops. How can I avoid this problem in the future?

Thanks for your time and answers.
Future quotes go here.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4285 on: October 12, 2010, 11:46:40 am »

Your kitchen and/or butcher shops are spewing miasma because there is rotting food or animal parts in them.  You need to have more stockpiles for food and/or refuse, and/or more haulers with free time to transport the materials to the stockpiles before they rot.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: October 12, 2010, 12:03:00 pm »

Your kitchen and/or butcher shops are spewing miasma because there is rotting food or animal parts in them.  You need to have more stockpiles for food and/or refuse, and/or more haulers with free time to transport the materials to the stockpiles before they rot.
Alternatively, put food processing workshops and food stockpiles outside, which prevent miasma generation from rot.

Now, my own question:
My civ sent a female Muskox with my embark wagon. I embarked in a tropic area and there's no male muskox in sights. Should I keep her hoping that the dwarven caravan will eventually bring a male, or convert her into food?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: October 12, 2010, 01:27:32 pm »

The dwarven caravan can only bring animals that are associated with the surroundings of their area.  So if the dwarves are really close by, they may be in the same area as you so will also have no access to muskox.  Elves on the other hand seem to be able to turn up with just about anything, they are usually your best bet for completing breeding pairs
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: October 12, 2010, 01:36:33 pm »

Greetings all,

I'm playing through TinyPirate's tutorial (I'm know this is DF2010, but I don't think my problem is specific to version) and I have a problem where every now and then my Kitchen and Butcher workshops will spew miasma. It's gotten bad enough that I had to deconstruct both workshops. How can I avoid this problem in the future?

Thanks for your time and answers.
When you butcher an animal, you get a huge number of parts, far more than in 40d. Meat, Brains, Sweetbreads, eyes, and other organs are food, while other parts are mainly garbage.  Most of it will rot if not taken care of.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: October 12, 2010, 01:47:16 pm »

The dwarven caravan can only bring animals that are associated with the surroundings of their area.  So if the dwarves are really close by, they may be in the same area as you so will also have no access to muskox.  Elves on the other hand seem to be able to turn up with just about anything, they are usually your best bet for completing breeding pairs
You won't come with a muskox if your civ doesn't have access to them.
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 1178