Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116688 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4140 on: October 05, 2010, 10:55:26 pm »

Can dwarfs shoot targets on a different z-level? I built an archer's tower as described on the wiki and goblins filed right by it while my marksdwarfs just stood there in the tower.
They can. BUT: It used to be that for ever z level up, you needed 1 z level wide of moat. I think the numbers are the same now.
the gist: they can't shoot stuff at the bottom of their wall. Especially not through fortifications.
Also note: their "circle of vision" is actually a sphere. Height does not give range advantage like you'd think it might.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: October 05, 2010, 10:57:10 pm »

It's also a bit of a bear to get them to shoot through fortifications at all.  They have to be right on top of the damn things.

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: October 05, 2010, 11:01:43 pm »

Can dwarfs shoot targets on a different z-level? I built an archer's tower as described on the wiki and goblins filed right by it while my marksdwarfs just stood there in the tower.
They can. BUT: It used to be that for ever z level up, you needed 1 z level wide of moat. I think the numbers are the same now.
the gist: they can't shoot stuff at the bottom of their wall. Especially not through fortifications.
Also note: their "circle of vision" is actually a sphere. Height does not give range advantage like you'd think it might.

Here's my archer tower.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The line to the north is where scaffolding was that lead to a target. I thought I was being clever by putting a target outside the fortifications for them to practice with but they didn't seem to care for it.

A squad of goblins filed right by to the west, walking over the yellow orthoclase tunnel I built. Is that out of range from the tower or were my crossbowdwarfs just being idiots? I would have thought they'd open fire without an order, but with or without orders, they just stood there.

What should I do, put them in a burrow that's a line around the inside of the fortifications?

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: October 06, 2010, 02:40:17 am »

Easy question:  If I change a creature's raw, do I need to re-gen for the change to take effect?

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: October 06, 2010, 04:39:53 am »

Is there a wealth/pop trigger for forgotten beasts?
If not, can building destroyers be lured into destroying supports? Will something like the diagram below kill them - or would they just flow over and around them? Would chaining a cat near the support help?

#######
   #.....#
   #.###.#
####.###.###########
...D..S..D.....W  to fort ->
###################

# = unmined stone
W = constructed wall for protection
D = door
S = support
. = open space

If all that's useless, how the hell do I deal with flying forgotten beasts with a dead civ fort with a pop of about 22?
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: October 06, 2010, 04:42:27 am »

Why not do that, with bait and all and just hook the support to a lever?

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: October 06, 2010, 06:53:50 am »

I am worried about the timing issue - how do I stop the forgotten beast sauntering away to safety before I pull the lever? I suppose I could just make the cave-in huge to increase my chances - like a 50x50 block over a single support. Stupid flying FBs.

What I really need is an instantaneous kitty death trigger. I am crap at dwarven mechanics - if I sit a kitten on a pressure plate, can I set it to trigger the support once the kitten is dead? Do kittys even lose weight when killed? Then I would just need to surround the kitten with walls so it can't wander on its chain, and lift the ceiling a z-level to allow flying beasts access and to allow the cave-in/
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4147 on: October 06, 2010, 07:31:32 am »

I am crap at dwarven mechanics - if I sit a kitten on a pressure plate, can I set it to trigger the support once the kitten is dead?
Not easily.  A pressure plate set to trigger for friendly units with the right weight settings will trigger when a kitten is on it, and un-trigger if the kitten dies.  You can't set a pressure plate to remove a support when it untriggers, at least not directly.  You could set up a system where untriggering the pressure plate lowers a drawbridge which lets water out of a chamber where a pressure plate is set to trigger in case of no water, and have it remove the support when the water drains out.  But if you're going to do that, you'd probably be better off simply having a floodgate holding water back as the trigger, so that any building destroyer that comes along will smash the floodgate and let the water out, triggering the trap.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: October 06, 2010, 07:42:39 am »

Easy question:  If I change a creature's raw, do I need to re-gen for the change to take effect?
Nope. It will be active on loading the game, assuming that you edited the save RAWs. A handy way to kill off annoying creatures is to debrain them in this fashion, as a matter of fact.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: October 06, 2010, 10:30:59 am »

I guess I'll put this here, since it shouldn't be complicated (or interesting) enough to warrant its own thread:

I've got gypsum, I've got magma kilns, I've got normal kilns and fuel, and I've got empty bags.

Why can't I make gypsum plaster?  Every time I go to add a job to one of the kilns (magma or normal) it says no jobs available.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: October 06, 2010, 11:11:29 am »

Okay I've been playing Dwarf fortress for a few months now, but I still don't know this. Do channels affect bolts fired from crossbows? Do they make the bolts fall into the channel?
Blargh.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: October 06, 2010, 11:17:58 am »

Umm, What?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: October 06, 2010, 11:21:06 am »

Say there was a row of fortifications. In front of these fortifications is a row of channels. If someone fired an arrow/bolt at the fortifications, would the arrow/bolt fall down into the channel?
Blargh.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: October 06, 2010, 11:24:42 am »

Can I butcher a snow titan I slew?
It's just saying "Usu(Titan Name)'s Snow"
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: October 06, 2010, 11:26:33 am »

I guess I'll put this here, since it shouldn't be complicated (or interesting) enough to warrant its own thread:

I've got gypsum, I've got magma kilns, I've got normal kilns and fuel, and I've got empty bags.

Why can't I make gypsum plaster?  Every time I go to add a job to one of the kilns (magma or normal) it says no jobs available.

Sometimes jobs don't show up in the Workshop jobs list until after the 1st time you've successfully queued them via the Manager, sometimes they don't ever show up in the Workshop & you always have to use the Manager.

& AIUI Plaster Casts are bugged at the stage of Mixing Water with Gypsum Plaster, so there's probably no reason to make Plaster unless your Trade Caravans have requested it. Make some splints to store in your hospital instead.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 1178