Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116599 times)

AlfFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4125 on: October 05, 2010, 12:08:43 pm »

Thanks!

One more quick question:

I have a cage with a goblin in it, and I've stripped him of his gear (I think)... How do I release him and fill him full of bolts? I did the q - a - unselect goblin on the cage, but then I think some dwarf was hauling the goblin somewhere, so I quickly reassigned him to the cage. I don't want a goblin being put down in the mess hall and molesting my cook.

Maybe he's valuable? I suppose I could just sell the goblin to some elves or something.

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: October 05, 2010, 12:14:12 pm »

Thanks!

One more quick question:

I have a cage with a goblin in it, and I've stripped him of his gear (I think)... How do I release him and fill him full of bolts? I did the q - a - unselect goblin on the cage, but then I think some dwarf was hauling the goblin somewhere, so I quickly reassigned him to the cage. I don't want a goblin being put down in the mess hall and molesting my cook.

Maybe he's valuable? I suppose I could just sell the goblin to some elves or something.
To release sm-one from a cage you could link a cage to a lever. Also, if you want to train squad archery, you shouldnt strip him. Assign wooden bolts to a squad, and even leather armor will extend his live, and skill gained with your dwarves. You can build a fortification between goblins and dorfs, so they couldnt harm them.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: October 05, 2010, 12:25:49 pm »

Can someone show me a good military thread?

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: October 05, 2010, 12:54:22 pm »

Is there a way to transfer forts to new versions of the game? I don't want to lose all my hard-earned efforts, but I also would like to play the latest version. I play vanilla, by the way; no mods, tilesets, etc.
If you're playing 40d, no, if you're playing a previous version of the newest, than yes.

Oh good, I'm playing a 2010 one. How do I transfer?

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: October 05, 2010, 03:30:19 pm »

Can dwarven water reactors also be powered... by magma? (Assuming nethercap waterwheels)

Also, is there a good way to re-mud the caverns of an abandoned and reclaimed fort?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: October 05, 2010, 03:31:52 pm »

Can dwarven water reactors also be powered... by magma? (Assuming nethercap waterwheels)
They cannot. Magma has no flow.
Also, is there a good way to re-mud the caverns of an abandoned and reclaimed fort?
Pump water into it?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: October 05, 2010, 04:06:37 pm »

Even if you give it flow via screwpump?

Zander J

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: October 05, 2010, 05:32:13 pm »

I always wanted to make my military dedicated to war. I mean, i assign the most useless grand masters lye makers, or adept fire burners to my army, and want them ALL THE YEAR LONG to be on duty. Month of training/month of patrolling/month of training/month of patrolling. They should be a mean soldiers, aren't they? But they always grumble about long duty, even if they only train a month, and then go to peasant work partying hard in the meeting hall. After few month of training they all got depressed, and even very unhappy. What the hell? Why don`t they enjoy being the meat for beating a reliable soldiers, that care about FORTRESS`S PEACE?

I am far from a military expert, but I believe that as long they have an assigned duty, even just training, they are officially on duty, making them unhappy. You might have to set up three squads, and have them cycle through patrol - train - nothing, with one squad doing one each month.

Still grappling with the military interface...

My military has a free month every couple of months so that the dorfs dont get lots of unhappy thoughts. However, my militia commander, despite reverting back and forth between "militia commander" and "militia commander" (which is maybe normal...i think) is enraged by long duty. I really don't want her to start chopping off heads with that adamantine short sword... am I not taking her off-dity properly?
Quote from: Toady One on January 21, 2012, 09:22:43 pm

Dwarves are still stupid.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: October 05, 2010, 05:36:30 pm »

What you need to do is set your barracks/wherever they are training from to require less than the maximum amount of dwarves in the squad.
That way they will still train, just not all at once.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: October 05, 2010, 09:01:50 pm »

1. I got a sudden resolution change with .15 and .16. It used to be slightly stretched and rectangular, but now it's much more square. There are also a lot more (too many to keep track of) tiles visible on the screen at the same time. How do I change it back? I've tried zooming, but the tiles remain square, and although they get bigger, they also get kinda blurry. At first I thought it was because I disabled the intro, but that's not it. SDL version, by the way. Before and currently.

Does your mouse/touchpad have a wheel on it? Using that can cause DF to "zoom in".

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: October 05, 2010, 09:14:52 pm »

Can zombie dragons breathe fire? I recently fought one off, and though it incinerated the desert cacti quite easily, it wasn't able to ignite any of the 6 dogs slowly denting it to death.

Is that normal?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4136 on: October 05, 2010, 09:23:38 pm »

Even if you give it flow via screwpump?
No no, flow is a different property, it's what makes waterwheels turn!

Yakui

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: October 05, 2010, 09:43:07 pm »

1. I got a sudden resolution change with .15 and .16. It used to be slightly stretched and rectangular, but now it's much more square. There are also a lot more (too many to keep track of) tiles visible on the screen at the same time. How do I change it back? I've tried zooming, but the tiles remain square, and although they get bigger, they also get kinda blurry. At first I thought it was because I disabled the intro, but that's not it. SDL version, by the way. Before and currently.

Does your mouse/touchpad have a wheel on it? Using that can cause DF to "zoom in".

Did you read my entire post? I've already tried that. Everything is still square~ish, and while it does get bigger, it also get's blurry.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: October 05, 2010, 10:14:28 pm »

Did you read my entire post? I've already tried that. Everything is still square~ish, and while it does get bigger, it also get's blurry.

I read it, and it looks like I misread that part, I thought the blur was part of the problem.

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: October 05, 2010, 10:25:11 pm »

Can dwarfs shoot targets on a different z-level? I built an archer's tower as described on the wiki and goblins filed right by it while my marksdwarfs just stood there in the tower.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1178