Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116626 times)

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4110 on: October 05, 2010, 06:59:50 am »

How do I keep the idiots from filling all the barrels with plump helmets? I need those barrels for booze.
There is no way. You can make a LOT of barrels. Redesignating stockpile should force dwarves to manage them, and restack, freeing some barrels.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4111 on: October 05, 2010, 07:45:37 am »

How do I keep the idiots from filling all the barrels with plump helmets? I need those barrels for booze.
Create multiple food stockpiles.  Make one that only takes plants, then set the maximum barrels of that stockpile to zero.  Create another which only takes booze, and leave the maximum barrels of that stockpile at the default. Your dwarves will pile the pump helmets in the plant stockpile without using barrels, and save the barrels for booze.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Grennba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: October 05, 2010, 08:03:53 am »

Is there some kind of weird quirk with stone block stockpiles? I've made a few stockpiles near building sites, but only one of them seemed to work, and that one took forever. My mason shop is cluttered with blocks, and there is a stockpile nearby. No burrows are currently turned on, and I know dwarves have access to the stockpile (and shop). The stockpile is set to zero bins, and the settings have everything disabled except for bars/blocks -> blocks -> stone. I've set another stockpile up the same way, but allowed a single bin just to see, the bin is sitting in there empty. I've had a few dozen idle dwarves now for a very long time, and most of those have every single hauling labor enabled. Why isn't this working?

Edit: Nevermind, got it. Blocks doesn't do anything. Blocks: Metal has a list of every possible type of (non metal) stone to allow.

Finally! Thankyou. I was having this exact same problem. I will try this when I get home.

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: October 05, 2010, 09:31:50 am »

Is there a way to transfer forts to new versions of the game? I don't want to lose all my hard-earned efforts, but I also would like to play the latest version. I play vanilla, by the way; no mods, tilesets, etc.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4114 on: October 05, 2010, 10:37:21 am »

Is there a way to transfer forts to new versions of the game? I don't want to lose all my hard-earned efforts, but I also would like to play the latest version. I play vanilla, by the way; no mods, tilesets, etc.
If you're playing 40d, no, if you're playing a previous version of the newest, than yes.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: October 05, 2010, 11:07:37 am »

1) Does animal favoritism affect butcher/cook's performance? Like say, my butcher/cook like dogs for their loyalty and my meat industry run mostly on them.

2) I need a civ job that's very easy to train to legendary and as self sustained as possible to prevent my soldiers from becoming champions. I'm thinking about pump operation but there surely would be better alternatives?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: October 05, 2010, 11:11:49 am »

Engraving is an option, if somewhat slow.
Mining is pathetically easy to reach legendary in.
Pump operating is similarly easy.
Masonry works too, just set them to make blocks on repeat.

What is this crap about champions? Are you playing 40d?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: October 05, 2010, 11:15:52 am »

Can't go wrong with record keeper!

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: October 05, 2010, 11:17:03 am »

What the heck are those letters in the upper  left of my screen? the most common one I see is a red C.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: October 05, 2010, 11:18:04 am »

Combat, Sparring, and Hunting reports.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: October 05, 2010, 11:18:28 am »

Ah, thank you.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: October 05, 2010, 11:23:49 am »

What is this crap about champions? Are you playing 40d?
Heroes/Champs get bad thought when removed from duty. I remove engaging units from duty on a frequent basis so life-threatened, highly trained dorfs would use their civ AI to immediately retreat and hopefully make it out alive.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: October 05, 2010, 11:24:49 am »

I thought that only happened if they had no civilian skills at all?

AlfFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: October 05, 2010, 11:26:52 am »

Is there a way to modify the game to have less gems? It seems too easy to get rich to me. I want to have an agrarian fortress. Maybe I should just select poorer biomes?

Also - is there a bug with thread in hospital zones? I placed a few stockpiles of thread/cloth in the hospital zone, but they dont show up in the hospital report (H)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: October 05, 2010, 11:34:09 am »

Is there a way to modify the game to have less gems? It seems too easy to get rich to me. I want to have an agrarian fortress. Maybe I should just select poorer biomes?

Also - is there a bug with thread in hospital zones? I placed a few stockpiles of thread/cloth in the hospital zone, but they dont show up in the hospital report (H)
Biome doesnt affect stone layers. It's kinda random. Dont designate gem tiles for digging? They act as pretty walls and supports. If you really loath gems, just sell them uncut (uncut diamond is like 300 bucks) or atom smash them.

hospital report only see stuff inside containers placed in the hospital. However your doc will use them just fine. The item that cannot be contained in the hospital and you have to put in stockpile is gypsum plaster. It can only be stored and moved around in bags. The only way for the hospital to see the gypsum is if you build a container with the gypsum bag. But once built, you cant bring it to the patient anymore...
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 1178