Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116563 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4080 on: October 04, 2010, 01:08:20 pm »

Use stairs.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: October 04, 2010, 02:12:40 pm »

Only a murky pool can collect rainwater.  So you'd need to have a murky pool that you've emptied out, let it get filled up, then re-empty it.

Thanks, I'll try that on the new embark I've got going.

Out of morbid curiosity, is there a way to drain a murky pool by digging up from below it? (yes, I'm aware that that could potentially be Fun for the dwarf doing the digging)
If you dig up from below, the tile you dig out will no longer convert rain to water, probably better to do it to one of the boundary non-pool tiles.

Edit: speeling.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:38:58 am by JAFANZ »

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: October 04, 2010, 02:29:02 pm »

Only a murky pool can collect rainwater.  So you'd need to have a murky pool that you've emptied out, let it get filled up, then re-empty it.

Thanks, I'll try that on the new embark I've got going.

Out of morbid curiosity, is there a way to drain a murky pool by digging up from below it? (yes, I'm aware that that could potentially be Fun for the dwarf doing the digging)

Best way to do it is to dig the reservoir 1 z level lower (which actually puts it on level with the water in the pool since the water is not floating above the surface). Channel out the tile on the surface between the murky pool and your reservoir. This floods your reservoir. You can use floodgates to control flow and this way you can irrigate farms and maintain the murky pool and let it fill back up
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: October 04, 2010, 02:32:32 pm »

I just got my first megabeast.

The cyclops Kizest atastkatdir Taron Eser has come! A giant humanoid monster with a single eye embedded in its forehead!

He ate my two guard dogs, frightened all my farmers... and then got caught in a cage trap consisting of a high (but not masterwork) birch cage and a shoddy alunite mechanism.

The wiki doesn't say a whole lot about cyclopses (cyclopes?). Can he break out of a wooden cage? Should I dig a pit for him and have cyclops burgers? Should I see if a DM will spawn (probably not, .14)?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: October 04, 2010, 03:43:17 pm »

Cages are not only unbreakable, they are actually pockets in space-time which may contain an unlimited number of creatures.
This caged cyclops is completely harmless, unless he breaks free while being pitted.

I would suggest digging a pit, building the cage inside, connecting it to a lever, putting a bridge over it, then releasing him so he escapes when the bridge is raised.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: October 04, 2010, 03:59:35 pm »

Cages are not only unbreakable, they are actually pockets in space-time which may contain an unlimited number of creatures.
This caged cyclops is completely harmless, unless he breaks free while being pitted.

I would suggest digging a pit, building the cage inside, connecting it to a lever, putting a bridge over it, then releasing him so he escapes when the bridge is raised.

To the horror of the Goblin siege about to use said bridge, correct?

(For added Fun, use Magma.)
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: October 04, 2010, 04:33:52 pm »

Because I'm about to abandon and I don't want them strewn everywhere, I want my dwarves to move all the uncut gems I've excavated into lead (VERY HEAVY) bins.

How would I go about doing this? Marking the wooden bin for dumping seems to dump the gems inside as well.

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: October 04, 2010, 05:18:35 pm »

This dwarven child is really giving me a headache. When he was a baby, his mother wandered into the danger room and he got torn up pretty bad. His right angle has a compound fracture and is smashed apart. When he became a child, he was taken to the hospital and treated but the injury to his ankle was never resolved. So three years later, I caused a cave-in to re-injure him and make the doctors diagnose him. It broke his other foot and a rib. So they patched him up and put his right ankle in traction (which they might or might not have done before). Eventually, big surprise, his left foot and rib healed but his right ankle still has the same injuries.

Expect he's walking now, on his broken ankle. In fact, he's trying to return a splint that was used on him. But he can't. He's standing in the meeting room and spamming that the drop-off inaccessible. I've removed him from burrows, but I can't disable hauling labor because he's a child. Why does this kid want to make my life miserable?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: October 04, 2010, 05:20:12 pm »

So, I have a person who likes horses and horse hoof.
Should I butcher a horse for them and make a horse hoof craft? Or would that make the person angry?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: October 04, 2010, 05:23:42 pm »

Because I'm about to abandon and I don't want them strewn everywhere, I want my dwarves to move all the uncut gems I've excavated into lead (VERY HEAVY) bins.

How would I go about doing this? Marking the wooden bin for dumping seems to dump the gems inside as well.

I don't think the composition of the bin will save your stuff from being scattered when you go reclaim.

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: October 04, 2010, 05:31:31 pm »

I don't think the composition of the bin will save your stuff from being scattered when you go reclaim.

I don't know anything about this, but you could try putting all the gems in a room and walling it off so they can't get out.

Yakui

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: October 05, 2010, 12:28:03 am »

Two questions.

1. I got a sudden resolution change with .15 and .16. It used to be slightly stretched and rectangular, but now it's much more square. There are also a lot more (too many to keep track of) tiles visible on the screen at the same time. How do I change it back? I've tried zooming, but the tiles remain square, and although they get bigger, they also get kinda blurry. At first I thought it was because I disabled the intro, but that's not it. SDL version, by the way. Before and currently.

2. The dwarves in my workshops aren't taking pathfinding into account when they go to grab the nearest item they need. Example: Instead of grabbing stone from a stockpile five steps away, Urist McCraftsdwarf decides to walk a good thirty steps or more to grab a stone 1 z-level directly below the workshop. Is there a way to prevent this without forbidding stone types or locking my dwarves in the room?

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: October 05, 2010, 12:30:37 am »

Two questions.

1. I got a sudden resolution change with .15 and .16. It used to be slightly stretched and rectangular, but now it's much more square. There are also a lot more (too many to keep track of) tiles visible on the screen at the same time. How do I change it back? I've tried zooming, but the tiles remain square, and although they get bigger, they also get kinda blurry. At first I thought it was because I disabled the intro, but that's not it. SDL version, by the way. Before and currently.

2. The dwarves in my workshops aren't taking pathfinding into account when they go to grab the nearest item they need. Example: Instead of grabbing stone from a stockpile five steps away, Urist McCraftsdwarf decides to walk a good thirty steps or more to grab a stone 1 z-level directly below the workshop. Is there a way to prevent this without forbidding stone types or locking my dwarves in the room?

As far as #2 goes, they will always go for the nearest stone.  Even if that is 1 tile above them.  You could move that stuff, lock him in a room, forbid stones or set a burrow.  The last would probably be easiest.

I can't answer the first, I haven't played with .15 or .16 yet.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: October 05, 2010, 12:44:34 am »

Is it possible to get military dwarves attached to things to drop those things and actually pick up that awesome steel short sword rather than carrying around an iron short sword?
Yes.  Disband the squad (or drop him from it, but disbanding will definitely work) which will force the dwarf to drop the weapon.  Then smelt the iron sword or sell it so he has no choice but to get the shiny new one.  I don't think just forbidding it will work.

My question: I had a several dwarves come back pretty messed up from a siege.  One got diagnosed with a cut on his cheek and was quickly patched up and sent on the way.  That's all great except that the chief medical dwarf failed to notice he was missing an arm and was shooting fountains of blood from his stump.  Is...  this normal?

twichyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: October 05, 2010, 12:53:40 am »

I have a question I like playing dwarf fortress on full screen, cept the auto stretching thing doesn't work well for me

What should i set my init file for a 1680x1050 screen?
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 1178