Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116663 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3975 on: September 30, 2010, 11:48:53 am »

Live vermin will not be eaten unless a dwarf is desperately starving, and they will get a bad thought from doing so.  There used to be a bug where untame live vermin in a cage would be seen as a very high quality meal and happily devoured by the first hungry dwarf who saw it, but that has been fixed.

Vermin in traps can be tamed, and then either made available for adoption or put on display in a cage.  Dwarves who like that vermin will be happy when they see it, dwarves who hate it will be unhappy.  A few vermin can be processed for valuable extracts - fire snakes, phantom spiders, and a few others.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: September 30, 2010, 12:11:10 pm »

So here's a very noobish question, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere (search results were an interesting read, though - not what I wanted but informative nonetheless).

Do upright spikes block the tile when deployed?  From what I can infer, I don't think they do.  Like any other trap, they'll allow passage through the tile, but they just don't cause any damage while already deployed.

Blood-Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: September 30, 2010, 01:24:45 pm »

two questions

1. whenever i load my game or when i find a new part of a cavern i get the message that a part of the cavern has collapsed. is this normal?

2. i had a hunter in my fort that wasn't one of my dwarfs. he must have come with the caravan and i locked him in by accident. but is it normal that a caravan has a ranger with it?
Einsam stehn die schwarzen Zinnen,
Trotzen aller Zeiten Wirren.
So auch ich, komm sei mein Zeug:
Blutend, aber ungebeugt!

sebs

• Bay Watcher
  • Nun sind unser zwey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: September 30, 2010, 01:37:11 pm »

I dug too greedily and too deep, but managed to kill about half of the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. Can I reclaim the fortress again and again until I have killed the rest? Or will there be new ones?

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #3979 on: September 30, 2010, 01:38:25 pm »

two questions

1. whenever i load my game or when i find a new part of a cavern i get the message that a part of the cavern has collapsed. is this normal?

2. i had a hunter in my fort that wasn't one of my dwarfs. he must have come with the caravan and i locked him in by accident. but is it normal that a caravan has a ranger with it?

1. It's not a regular occurrence, but it does happen sometimes with world-generation.

2. So, you can't assign him any jobs? He just wanders around hunting stuff?
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Falc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: September 30, 2010, 01:58:11 pm »

?!150!?
HOW am I supposed to dig that deep?
even 50 is quite deep.
So do you have a quick method on how to dig deep quickly?
So far I'm using up/down stairs to dig, is there an easier way?

50 levels is like, you know, ground level for a true dwarf :-)

Kidding aside, I don't think there's a quicker way to dig down than up/down stairs. Enter correct designation mode (d-i), click with your mouse on the square you want, keep button pressed and use your other hand to move the map down. Go all the way to the bottom and then remove the last dozen layers or so. You'll end up pretty close to the magma sea.

That is, if you don't dig into the ceiling of a cavern and fall down 10 storeys...

Blood-Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: September 30, 2010, 02:00:07 pm »

two questions

1. It's not a regular occurrence, but it does happen sometimes with world-generation.

2. So, you can't assign him any jobs? He just wanders around hunting stuff?

the hunter went insane and got naked. as soon as i opened my fortress to the outside he ran away and left the map.
Einsam stehn die schwarzen Zinnen,
Trotzen aller Zeiten Wirren.
So auch ich, komm sei mein Zeug:
Blutend, aber ungebeugt!

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: September 30, 2010, 02:06:07 pm »

Do upright spikes block the tile when deployed?  From what I can infer, I don't think they do.  Like any other trap, they'll allow passage through the tile, but they just don't cause any damage while already deployed.

They do not block the tile. They cause damage when being raised for anything on the tile. They also cause damage for anything that falls on them if they are raised. Great for pits.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: September 30, 2010, 02:13:14 pm »

They do not block the tile. They cause damage when being raised for anything on the tile. They also cause damage for anything that falls on them if they are raised. Great for pits.

That's what I thought.  Thanks.  I do have a great pit idea for them, but I was hoping I could top a wall with spikes.  I'll have to figure out some other decoration.

Do statues block off the tile?  That might be a good alternative.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: September 30, 2010, 03:04:01 pm »

Do statues block off the tile?  That might be a good alternative.
Statues block the tile.

LordFrank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: September 30, 2010, 05:16:10 pm »

So I just downloaded 30.14, gened up a world and tried to embark to a forest retreat so I could make a "screw the elves" fort. It seems like you can't embark to sites anymore. If so how do I get around it?
1) Download EmbarkAnywhere(http://75.127.91.201/~jifodus/df/embarkanywhere.zip)
2) Run DF
3) Run EmbarkAnywhere
4) Close error dialog box (all this means is that you can't use the finder to find a 1x1 spot)
5) Make embark location 1x1
6) Hit e

Many thanks

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: September 30, 2010, 06:52:53 pm »

That is, if you don't dig into the ceiling of a cavern and fall down 10 storeys...

If your stairway-shaft pierces the ceiling of a cavern, your miner will not fall down into it.  The game will pause, tell you there's a cavern, and make you press Enter to acknowledge it.  You can take that opportunity to remove stairway designations if you wish, or to make other designations to seal off the hole (build an access tunnel on the same Z level from another nearby stairwell that DOESN'T pierce the cavern, and then build a constructed floor or wall on the stairwell that DOES pierce the cavern).

But your dwarf won't fall in, so don't feel any anxiety on that issue.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3987 on: September 30, 2010, 07:26:57 pm »

They also cause damage for anything that falls on them if they are raised.
Was this changed in DF2010? because it was never the case before, though I guess with combat logs this is easy to find out now.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: September 30, 2010, 08:40:55 pm »

What do engravings of deities look like?  Do they just look like whatever the deity takes the form of, or do they have their own symbol?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: October 01, 2010, 02:37:47 am »

Sigh.  Three goblin ambushes spawning right ON my drawbridge in a row, and FOUR dwarves seriously injured (missing leg) while attempting to take down ONE goblin.

It seems that military forces effectiveness varies so much from fort to fort  - I've had 4 dwarves take down a bronze colossus, while 6/8 are out of it taking out 2 goblin bowmen.  And don't ever get me started on lashers...

Anyway, sorry for complaining - I have had NO dwarves with Diagnostic skills in the last two forts.  It's still a completely randomly generated skill right? So I can just enable it and someone will do it, but do it very badly?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 1178