Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116701 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3945 on: September 29, 2010, 07:41:10 am »

But if you dig straight down, poke a little hole in there grab some webs and wall it up, it's like nothing ever happened.

Actually... no.  Once you breach a cavern that has water in it, you get spores throughout your entire map, which means underground trees and shrubs will start growing on any subterranean soil or mud squares that you have.

But apart from that, you're correct.

on the Z-Stocks screen, I was searching for silk thread, and found it. It was red, so not owned by me, and 60z levels down where the caverns are. So am I right in assuming that this points out where exactly the webs are before you even breach the caverns?

I think it means that there is some humanoid civilization underground that owns that stuff -- not just webs lying around.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bobbias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: September 29, 2010, 08:18:53 am »

As an update, I just stationed the rest of my 3 man militia there and killed him when he went nuts. I really didn't want to deal with trying to breach a cavern just yet. Mind you, now that I've played a bit further and have a bunch of more or less useless dwarfs, maybe it's time to breach a cavern and thin the population.

I've got about 4 dwarfs that are fishery related, and there are no fish available on my map for whatever reason (seems to be kinda common, in the few embarks I've had so far, actually :/)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: September 29, 2010, 12:40:24 pm »

My Militia Commander got hurt really bad, and he needs like three limbs to be "immobilized," but the health screen doesn't say anything about an infection. Until he succumbs to infection the next day.

Huh?

Did the hospital have any soap? If not, any wounds that needed cleaning got water instead. That can lead to infection... *especially* if your well had gone dry and they had to scoop water out of a mud puddle outside.... that a goblin had just crapped in... after eating all your spoiled camel milk cheese.
No. I had no soap. The whole fort is 20 guys, so I don't have that industry up and running yet.

But that wasn't the question. I know perfectly well *how* he could have gotten an infection, and *how* that could have killed him.

What I do not know is why none of his injuries had the purple "infected" text, and the health screen under status did not have a purple If. I have had many, many, many dwarves die of infections, and all had every infected injury marked from their individual health screen, and a purple In on the z health screen.

Nick

Were they waiting for diagnosis? I've had dwarves die while waiting for my crack team of medics to get down there and check that oozing purple sore.
Nope.

He'd even been treated for most of his injuries. He needed a whole lot of casts, and but other then that he seemed to be recovering fine.

Nixk

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: September 29, 2010, 12:54:16 pm »

Plant fiber only. I guess he wants silk... A caravan left just before this happened, so no chance of me getting another by the time he goes mad... I guess I'm gonna have to wall him in, and wait out his death :/ (and no, I haven't breached a cavern yet, so I have no cave spider webs to get.)

What pisses me off is that he's my militia commander :/ I hate posessed moods.

Dig I say! Dig like the dickens! (and build a loom) You should hit a cavern. Then your weaver will collect silk and weave it into thread. I love crazy creative dorfs!
Strictly speaking you don't have to breach the cavern. You just need to dig a tunnel in a cave-spider friendly biome. They are vermin, so they magically teleport into any open square in the right biome.

It will take longer, but it will be a lot safer. Especially if you're like me, never breached the cavern in 10 years of gameplay, and have several FBs running around.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: September 29, 2010, 02:08:25 pm »

on the Z-Stocks screen, I was searching for silk thread, and found it. It was red, so not owned by me, and 60z levels down where the caverns are. So am I right in assuming that this points out where exactly the webs are before you even breach the caverns?

Uh, I don't think spiders have the tools/workshops to make the webs into thread...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3950 on: September 29, 2010, 02:29:28 pm »

Uh, I don't think spiders have the tools/workshops to make the webs into thread...
No, but webs will still show up under 'thread' on the stock screen.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MycoRunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: September 29, 2010, 02:51:52 pm »

But if you dig straight down, poke a little hole in there grab some webs and wall it up, it's like nothing ever happened.

Actually... no.  Once you breach a cavern that has water in it, you get spores throughout your entire map, which means underground trees and shrubs will start growing on any subterranean soil or mud squares that you have.

But apart from that, you're correct.

I realize that, I just meant that it really isn't dangerous (in my opinion) to breach into the first cavern layer as long as you take some simple precautions. Either wall it up so you can go in and explore later, or set a bunch of cage traps and start collecting crundles  :P

Webs show up on the stocks screen for some reason. If you hit TAB to look at the entries in detail it will say Cave Spider Web, not thread.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: September 29, 2010, 03:39:29 pm »

Can preferences change?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: September 29, 2010, 04:08:36 pm »

I've got about 4 dwarfs that are fishery related, and there are no fish available on my map for whatever reason (seems to be kinda common, in the few embarks I've had so far, actually :/)

Known bug. I ran into it several times when trying to gen a world suitable for building an aboveground fort based around the fishing and textile industries.

Can preferences change?

Not as far as I know.

Salamandangerous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: September 29, 2010, 05:34:06 pm »

About 3 years into my current fort and I have about 19 capturd goblins.
two questions.
First how do I take away the goblins items, I want to use them as military training but I don't want to risk injury.
I tried the reclaim then dump method suggested in the wiki but my dwarves didn't haul anything away.
Second if I build a goblin cage elsewhere, say, in my arena can the goblins escape? I know this works for animals but I'm worried about setting a goblin hammerer loose in my fortress.

LordFrank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: September 29, 2010, 05:42:10 pm »

So I just downloaded 30.14, gened up a world and tried to embark to a forest retreat so I could make a "screw the elves" fort. It seems like you can't embark to sites anymore. If so how do I get around it?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: September 29, 2010, 05:57:10 pm »

So I just downloaded 30.14, gened up a world and tried to embark to a forest retreat so I could make a "screw the elves" fort. It seems like you can't embark to sites anymore. If so how do I get around it?
1) Download EmbarkAnywhere(http://75.127.91.201/~jifodus/df/embarkanywhere.zip)
2) Run DF
3) Run EmbarkAnywhere
4) Close error dialog box (all this means is that you can't use the finder to find a 1x1 spot)
5) Make embark location 1x1
6) Hit e
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: September 29, 2010, 06:09:29 pm »

and then watch as any constructions the site had vanish randomly before your eyes.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: September 29, 2010, 07:18:13 pm »

I'm trying to play DF on my new(ish) computer, but when I try to run it, it tells me that there was an error and it needs to be reinstalled. Tried that, didn't work. Running XP here. How do I fix it?
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: September 29, 2010, 09:59:46 pm »

About 3 years into my current fort and I have about 19 capturd goblins.
two questions.
First how do I take away the goblins items, I want to use them as military training but I don't want to risk injury.
I tried the reclaim then dump method suggested in the wiki but my dwarves didn't haul anything away.
Second if I build a goblin cage elsewhere, say, in my arena can the goblins escape? I know this works for animals but I'm worried about setting a goblin hammerer loose in my fortress.
To answer the first question: there are many cool ways to disarm goblins. I personally hide their stuff, and then mark any weapon that's hidden for dumping. That way the dorfs have to hack each one like 8 times before he dies.

But it's best to do things the easy way the first time, lest one experience Excessive Fun.

Here are the steps:
1. Go to the stockpile with goblin cages. Claim everything in the stockpile using d-b-c. This step is absolutely essential because gobbo clothes start out forbidden, so your dorfs can't dump them.
2. Build the cages in your arena with b-j
3. Mark everything in the arena for dumping with d-b-d
4. Create a zone near the arena with i, and make it a garbage dump with g.
5. Wait a second or two.
6. Go to the jobs screen. If there are dozens of "Dump item" jobs you're fine. If there aren't you screwed something up.
7. Build lever, link to cages.
8. When the dump item jobs are all done send in your troops, lock the door, and pull the lever.

To answer your second Goblins cannot use locked doors, so if you arena entrance is a doorway you're fine.

But don't worry about this too much. If you do the seven steps I mentioned above your gobboes will be butt naked. A peasant with a pick would go through them like a hot knife through butter. Actual troops, with one (or more) levels of combat skills, better weapons, and full armor will kill them easy.

Nick
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 1178