Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117054 times)

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3915 on: September 28, 2010, 01:28:24 pm »

So I had a run in my fort with my first Forgotten beast.
A blob with a shell that twitched, beware it's dust.

Anyway, it lets off this dust from it's shell I imagine when I sent my entire military after it (no casualties they made short work of it) and... now everyone who came into contact with the dust is dizzy.

I took it as a side effect of the dust and immediately started to observe my exposed dwarfs to the dust namely my military and a few workers.

For the most part the worst symptom seems to have been being knocked unconscious by it somehow, other then that my dwarfs are going about their lives... only dizzy.

Anyway my question: How long will the dizzy last? Will it dissipate? I heard diseases and ailments can be treated like injuries but my dwarfs only received treatment when they were unconscious.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: September 28, 2010, 02:03:36 pm »

It could dissipate in a few days, or never.

Look at this: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Syndrome

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: September 28, 2010, 03:04:12 pm »

I have my millstone, i have my axle, But the axle isn't powered unless I channel a hole under the windmill first, which before .14 was fine; the windmill built over a hole in the ground. For whatever reason, the windmill won't build with the hole in the ground, so now i'm trying to build the windmill, then ramp up under it and hope it doesn't deconstruct.

It will deconstruct. Your problem is that the game doesn't treat axles exactly the same as gears. If you put a gear directly below where the windmill is going to be, then all will be golden.

in 31.12, I had a windmill powering a millstone, no problem (until my death-tower/windmill collapsed). But now that i've updated to 31.14, i can't construct over a channel, which is required to power the axel. If I have to weave gears and axels, I won't have enough power to run the millstone.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: September 28, 2010, 03:27:55 pm »

Add a couple more windmills to power the gears.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: September 28, 2010, 04:35:46 pm »

Two questions:

One:  Is there a way to set it so I save at the beginning of every season?  I know one mod in the lazy newb pack has it, I just don't know which one.  I lost a fortress I've been working on for six hours, and I'm regretting it.  : x

Two:  MUD IS ANNOYING.  My 'pure' cisterns, when flooded with water, will always create mud, containing the water.  Even though I construct floors on the spot, and take out the stones, mud still forms.   How do I prevent mud from being created?

sebs

• Bay Watcher
  • Nun sind unser zwey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: September 28, 2010, 04:38:01 pm »

I'm getting "Urist McLost cancels hunt: Could not find path" spam. The guy is standing on a finished goods bin and is not locked in or anything. What can I do?

Edit: He stopped it. Guess whatever he tried to hunt moved somewhere more accessible.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:40:52 pm by sebs »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: September 28, 2010, 04:45:37 pm »

Two:  MUD IS ANNOYING.  My 'pure' cisterns, when flooded with water, will always create mud, containing the water.  Even though I construct floors on the spot, and take out the stones, mud still forms.   How do I prevent mud from being created?
I don't think so, sorry.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: September 28, 2010, 04:53:44 pm »

I don't think so, sorry.

So is creating a cistern impossible?  For every attempt I try at making a cistern, mud contaminates it.  I need to know if drinkable water is ever possible when it's not straight from a river/brook, because most of my forts are just giant attempts to make drinkable resivoirs.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3923 on: September 28, 2010, 04:56:14 pm »

Mud doesn't make water undrinkable.  Mud happens any time water flows across a surface, but wells are always valid water sources no matter what kind of water is under them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: September 28, 2010, 05:04:01 pm »

Yup, wells are magic water cleaners.
Pumps, too.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: September 28, 2010, 05:10:04 pm »

Yup, wells are magic water cleaners.
Pumps, too.
...really?  I knew about pumps, I didn't know wells.  So all that time I've been building massive reservoirs has been effectively wasted.  Suuuucks.  Oh well, now I know better.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: September 28, 2010, 05:48:13 pm »

Okay, I'm about to reclaim yet another fort that got sacked by goblins before I had the military functional (I am really bad at military, apparently). But before I do that...

I've been hearing people talk about forbidding certain materials for use in certain purposes. I'd like to learn how to do that, so I can...

- Forbid cooking plants so they can be brewed instead
- Forbid masonry with obsidian (embarked in an area with obsidian and basalt, expecting a volcano or at least a magma pipe) so I can use it for export goods/swords
- Forbid crafting with junk stone so my masons can use THAT for furniture

In addition, can someone hook me up to a danger room tutorial with visual aids/diagrams so I can see what I'm doing wrong with that?

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: September 28, 2010, 05:52:57 pm »

In my new fort I don't have much lakes around, so instead of flooding a room with water to make a farm I channeled out a pit and got the dwarves to dump water in it so the ground would be muddy. Well the ground's muddy now and I built a farm plot, but, even after building a floor over the pit it says that all the ground that makes up my farm is above ground so my farmer won't plant anything. Is there any way to fix this?
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: September 28, 2010, 06:02:15 pm »

Okay, I'm about to reclaim yet another fort that got sacked by goblins before I had the military functional (I am really bad at military, apparently). But before I do that...

I've been hearing people talk about forbidding certain materials for use in certain purposes. I'd like to learn how to do that, so I can...

- Forbid cooking plants so they can be brewed instead
- Forbid masonry with obsidian (embarked in an area with obsidian and basalt, expecting a volcano or at least a magma pipe) so I can use it for export goods/swords
- Forbid crafting with junk stone so my masons can use THAT for furniture

In addition, can someone hook me up to a danger room tutorial with visual aids/diagrams so I can see what I'm doing wrong with that?

To forbid plants from being cooker go to the Z-screen and select kitchen.
You cannot forbid stone for certain tasks.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: September 28, 2010, 06:11:57 pm »

Could I designate obsidian as an economic stone to stop masons from using it?
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 1178