Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117143 times)

Zanethda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3900 on: September 27, 2010, 08:40:29 pm »

How has your militia commander taken ownership of the entire food supply?  That doesn't make sense.  A dwarf should only take ownership of one piece of food at a time, and only just before eating it.

The only way I know of to cancel ownership is to kill the dwarf in question, so if this one dwarf has somehow taken ownership of the entire food supply, you'll probably have to kill him to save everyone else.  Or make more food in a hurry.

In my last fort I had a "turnip hoarder" who took all the forts turnips and kept them in his room. I would presume that this is the sort of thing that proxn_punkd is talking about.
Strangely enough, my current game's militia commander is doing the same thing, except she took possession of elephant meat (and various other elephant-based meat) and left them as stacks of 1 in various stockpiles. Also found a few turtles scattered in the same way.
On the item is an image of Ngom Fishsin the goblin and a alligator in mountain goat leather. The alligator is striking down Ngom Fishsin. The artwork relates to the killing of the goblin Ngom Fishsin by a alligator in Crueljoy in The Mechanical Spine in the late autumn of 11 during Kaguskok, "The Crazy Assault".

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: September 27, 2010, 10:09:08 pm »

Windmill trouble. I thought you had to channel a hole under the windmill to power a verticle axel, but it won't let me build ontop of the hole (just switched to 31.14)

jogar2

• Bay Watcher
  • It's just like a mini-mall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: September 27, 2010, 10:16:30 pm »

Windmill trouble. I thought you had to channel a hole under the windmill to power a verticle axel, but it won't let me build ontop of the hole (just switched to 31.14)

I'm pretty sure you have to build the gear assembly first. Then attach the axles to it. if that's not accurate, the only other thing I can think of is you have to build up from whatever you're powering.

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: September 27, 2010, 11:19:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure you have to build the gear assembly first. Then attach the axles to it. if that's not accurate, the only other thing I can think of is you have to build up from whatever you're powering.
I need no gear assemblies, its' a strait shaft. I can't build the verticle axel unless its hooked up to the windmill, since you can't build a hanging part before the generator. And the only source of power from a windmill is from the center tile, to the zlevel below. I've read that it won't power verticle axels unless there is a channel. everything else works fine from what i've read.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: September 27, 2010, 11:27:30 pm »

Build from the thing you're trying to power up. Machine pieces need to be supported IN THEIR ENTIRETY (your windmill problem) by either ground or an adjacent machine that IS supported by the ground or another machine that...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: September 28, 2010, 12:02:09 am »

I have my millstone, i have my axle, But the axle isn't powered unless I channel a hole under the windmill first, which before .14 was fine; the windmill built over a hole in the ground. For whatever reason, the windmill won't build with the hole in the ground, so now i'm trying to build the windmill, then ramp up under it and hope it doesn't deconstruct.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #3906 on: September 28, 2010, 01:57:52 am »

How do I build a staircase up? I've tried (B)uilding a staircase up and (D)esignating a staircase up out of a nearby wall, but neither would allow me to build a down staircase on the upper floor.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: September 28, 2010, 03:00:56 am »

How do I build a staircase up? I've tried (B)uilding a staircase up and (D)esignating a staircase up out of a nearby wall, but neither would allow me to build a down staircase on the upper floor.
If you already dug up the tile on your level then build an up staircase. Assuming the tile above is not dug, designate it as a down staircase.
If you did not dig up the tile on your level, designate it as an up staircase. Then designate the tile above as a down staircase.

I have a question too. I want to pump magma about 130 z levels up. This requires a ridiculous amount of power (1300+). That's 13 water wheels; I don't think I have rivers in caverns, but I do have aquifers. Do those count as moving water for water wheels, or do I need 65 windmills?
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

maanahr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: September 28, 2010, 03:57:46 am »

In my last fort I had a "turnip hoarder" who took all the forts turnips and kept them in his room. I would presume that this is the sort of thing that proxn_punkd is talking about.
Strangely enough, my current game's militia commander is doing the same thing, except she took possession of elephant meat (and various other elephant-based meat) and left them as stacks of 1 in various stockpiles. Also found a few turtles scattered in the same way.

I think this is a military thing, where somehow they lose one of the rations they take along in their backpack. The food is marked as their property, so eventually they bring it to their room just like clothing and such. Maybe they'll eventually get around to eating it, but my militia commander has had a prepared meal lying around his room for years.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: September 28, 2010, 08:17:12 am »

I have my millstone, i have my axle, But the axle isn't powered unless I channel a hole under the windmill first, which before .14 was fine; the windmill built over a hole in the ground. For whatever reason, the windmill won't build with the hole in the ground, so now i'm trying to build the windmill, then ramp up under it and hope it doesn't deconstruct.

It will deconstruct. Your problem is that the game doesn't treat axles exactly the same as gears. If you put a gear directly below where the windmill is going to be, then all will be golden.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: September 28, 2010, 09:25:37 am »

I get a lot of "cancels Clean Self: Area inaccessible" spam announcements. This is from a soap stockpile situated next to an active well. I tried digging a pit nearby and stockpiling the soap around that, but got the same problem.

I'd really prefer they chose someplace other than the hospital to clean themselves, but if they're going to do it, they ought to be successful at it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3911 on: September 28, 2010, 09:28:40 am »

I get a lot of "cancels Clean Self: Area inaccessible" spam announcements. This is from a soap stockpile situated next to an active well. I tried digging a pit nearby and stockpiling the soap around that, but got the same problem.
Build a lot of chests in your hospital.  Your dwarves will store cloth, thread, crutches, splints, and soap in them.  It does not count to have stockpiles in your hospital zone, these objects need to be stored in chests built in the hospital to count as being part of the hospital zone.  Forbid any soap that doesn't get stored in the hospital.  Soap bars that aren't in the hospital confuse dwarves.  Your medical dwarves will use soap stored in the hospital to clean infected wounds, and filthy dwarves outside the hospital will clean themselves at wells without needing soap.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: September 28, 2010, 09:53:02 am »

There's a chest and cabinet there already, and neither appear to be used. I can't see any contents in them, or in the tile that they're in, and the hospital zone information doesn't register anything that isn't already stockpiled.

However, I do know that stockpiled soap, splints, crutches and gypsum powder are getting used; I've seen the supplies come down, and I've seen multiple diagnoses for cleaning that didn't result in death by infection.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: September 28, 2010, 10:05:42 am »

Why on earth did mining out a few tiles of frozen river cause an enormous section of it to spontaneously unfreeze right in the middle of winter?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: September 28, 2010, 10:31:36 am »

Contrary to popular belief, doctors WILL use medical equipment (at least cloth/thread) from outside the hospital if they feel like it.  But having it in the hospital is good, because then it's close to the patient.

You should be able to see the contents of a hospital's coffer/chest by using either 'k' or 't' on the chest.  I can't recall which.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 1178