Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117135 times)

Wnderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3855 on: September 26, 2010, 04:35:36 pm »

I used to build skylights in 40d for growing strawberries and rope reed but a Titan just flew in and reeked havoc. How do you build safe skylights in DF2010?

Also I used to forbid dwarfs to go outside during a crisis. How do you forbid dwarfs to go outside in DF2010?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3856 on: September 26, 2010, 04:49:01 pm »

I built a windmill, and it worked great (power 40). I bulit a second windmill 5 tiles away, and its completely unpowered. How can i tell before I build if there will be wind or not?
Wind will be constant across a biome.  If your embark site is all one biome, it will have constant wind everywhere on the surface.  If your site is across multiple biomes, it may have different levels of wind on different parts of the site.  There does not appear to be any way to tell how much wind each biome has before you embark.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: September 26, 2010, 05:13:47 pm »

I used to build skylights in 40d for growing strawberries and rope reed but a Titan just flew in and reeked havoc. How do you build safe skylights in DF2010?

Bwahhaha!

Sorry, but to answer your question, I'd imagine build a grate over it or build a bridge.  As far as I know, if you expose a tile to light it's light forever, even if you build floors over it, so there's another option.  Grates if you want realism (though archers can still shoot through them I believe), bridge/floor if you just want to get it done.

Also I used to forbid dwarfs to go outside during a crisis. How do you forbid dwarfs to go outside in DF2010?

Burrows (w), then assign civilians to burrows in the (m)ilitary (a)lerts screen.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

toue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: September 26, 2010, 05:15:23 pm »

What is the tag to make a creature butcherable and where do I put it?

AlphaKoala

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: September 26, 2010, 05:35:45 pm »

This may be a pretty noob question, but my dwarves refuse to build any craft workshops. I have already built a masons and carpentry workshops, and they built the trade depot and walls I designated. However they just don't want to build the craft workshops. (V 31.13)

toue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: September 26, 2010, 05:36:49 pm »

Do you have stone, wood, or bone crafting labors turned on for one of your dwarves?

AlphaKoala

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: September 26, 2010, 05:38:25 pm »

Yes, I have huge stocks of obsidian and ash wood, and I have turned on the labours for all of my dwarves. They just sit around the wagon being lazy!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: September 26, 2010, 05:43:00 pm »

What is the tag to make a creature butcherable and where do I put it?
It is not a tag but a lack of a tag.  Your dwarves will refuse to butcher anything sentient, which seems to mean having [CAN_SPEAK] or [CAN_LEARN] or [INTELLIGENT] or some combination of them.  Alternately, you can edit your dwarves civilization ethics to have [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE] so they'll butcher and eat sentient creatures.

The creature also needs to be made of normal flesh-type materials, so you'll never be able to butcher a fire man or bronze colossus or whatever.  There may also be some additional as yet to be determined factors since a lot of people have said they can't butcher buzzards, which should be butcherable.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

toue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: September 26, 2010, 05:47:24 pm »

Would ethic changes work on a world that was already genned?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: September 26, 2010, 05:53:49 pm »

Would ethic changes work on a world that was already genned?
In my experience once the civ is created changes to the entity raws no longer have any effect.  Changes to the creature raws should work however.

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: September 26, 2010, 06:13:08 pm »

I always over do my food production. I have 3 planters, and 2 4x10 farm plots. I planted helmets at first, then switched to pig tails and cave wheat solely for the booze. Last year and a half I didn't plant anything because I ran out of food stockpiles. Fortress is just about to turn 4.

My 88 dwarves have about 5000 booze, 2000 prepared food, and I constantly have to dig out new food stockpiles.

I think the problem is my guys are too well trained. Near Legendary workers plant one seed and get 5 plants back. Brewers brew 5 plants and get 25 booze. Cooks then make lavish meals of 50+ food. Two or three seeds plus a piece of meat usually gets me 60+ food.

What food ratios do you guys aim for?
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: September 26, 2010, 07:39:52 pm »

Bwahhaha!

Sorry, but to answer your question, I'd imagine build a grate over it or build a bridge.  As far as I know, if you expose a tile to light it's light forever, even if you build floors over it, so there's another option.  Grates if you want realism (though archers can still shoot through them I believe), bridge/floor if you just want to get it done.

Burrows (w), then assign civilians to burrows in the (m)ilitary (a)lerts screen.

As far as I can tell, building a floor over a once-exposed tile will make it [Outside] [Dark]. If you build the farm plot before you cover it up again, though, that would probably work.

Also you could build a glass floor; they let light in. Like a greenhouse

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: September 26, 2010, 07:51:52 pm »

Any spot which has been touched by light will be flagged as Light, Above Ground, forever.  Building a roof over it will cause it to become Inside, but it will still be Light, Above Ground.  You can build a farm on a Light, Above Ground farm and aboveground plants on it, but only on soil - I'm pretty sure that muddied rock will never grown aboveground plants even if you've dug it out and exposed it to the surface.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: September 26, 2010, 07:54:41 pm »

Any spot which has been touched by light will be flagged as Light, Above Ground, forever.  Building a roof over it will cause it to become Inside, but it will still be Light, Above Ground.  You can build a farm on a Light, Above Ground farm and aboveground plants on it, but only on soil - I'm pretty sure that muddied rock will never grown aboveground plants even if you've dug it out and exposed it to the surface.
Nope.
I'm pretty sure it's(muddying rock) also the only way to farm aboveground plants if you have no soil

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: September 26, 2010, 07:58:30 pm »

What happens if I flush water into the magma sea or a magma pipe?
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 1178