Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117434 times)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3765 on: September 23, 2010, 04:58:38 pm »

Is it normal for dwarves to have preferences to consume vermin (not counting fish)? I have a dwarf who likes to consume dragonfly, and another one who is partial to red squirrel. (31.14)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: September 23, 2010, 05:06:58 pm »

Anyone know when Phoebus .14 is coming out?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3767 on: September 23, 2010, 05:54:54 pm »

I just started adventure mode for the first time and I started out where a dwarven mountainhome was supposed to be, so after looking for it for awhile I decided that maybe I just can't find the stairs or something so I traveled to a nearby town and again I found no buildings. I'm following the directions in the box on the top left, and when it turns into like dashes I assume that means I'm at the town, but I can't find anything anywhere.
Towns and other sites still seem to be broken.  You don't get the farm sprawl if you take a world genned in .12 and run it in .13, but all the towns and fortresses will be turned into empty sites.  I think the same is still true in .14, so if you want to actually find anyone in adventure mode you have to play in .12.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3768 on: September 23, 2010, 05:57:44 pm »

For crossbow bolt materials, will iron be sufficient, or will it like anything else made of iron, just bounce off anything iron or above in quality? And the same question for ballista bolts. Thanks in advance.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: September 23, 2010, 06:35:49 pm »

I'm not sure about ballistae, but iron will be more than enough for bolts.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: September 23, 2010, 06:38:22 pm »

Anyone know if .14 fixes the .13 bug where "mountainhome" tiles were empty?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3771 on: September 23, 2010, 07:05:43 pm »

Wonderful, I always have tons of that stuff. Thanks.  :D

bowie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: September 24, 2010, 05:58:28 am »

I was wondering what armor require two to be made eg high boots
Must... Eat... Demon... Rat ARGLEBLARGH *crash* OMNOMNOMNOM
Tastes.. like... SAAAAATAAAAAAAAN!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: September 24, 2010, 08:21:21 am »

Making "One" gauntlet/glove/boot/whatever makes a matching pair.

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: September 24, 2010, 09:52:29 am »

For crossbow bolt materials, will iron be sufficient, or will it like anything else made of iron, just bounce off anything iron or above in quality? And the same question for ballista bolts. Thanks in advance.

Ballista bolts: Depends on what wood is used to make them. Blood thorn is the heaviest wood in the game and thus makes the best ballista bolts.
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #3775 on: September 24, 2010, 11:53:50 am »

So, thanks to you wonderful people in the forum my brewer no longer brews my food and my farmers do nothing but farm....except I set up two 1x1 dump areas near my 'commerce' area of my fortress, and set some stone to be dumped there. I'm guessing by accident I also dumped my seed barrel and plump helmets, no problem right? I just reclaimed all of the items, and my dwarves put them back in their respective stockpiles.

Except either they aren't putting them back and new dumped stone makes them look forbidden, or they are putting them back and dumping them again. They also keep dumping seeds when I have a seed stockpile with free bags although no barrels.

Another quick one, if I chain a cow directly next to the farmers workshop, can they be milked? Or do they have to be unrestrained?

They're also dumping refuse, which is creating miasma :/ I looKed around and made sure nothing but the stone was marked to dump, and only stone was.

Now they're dumping my food :/ I haven't been marking anything new to dump
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:08:22 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Leot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: September 24, 2010, 01:09:53 pm »

A couple questions. I have a starting build involving unskilled dwarves, a huge amount of food 4 picks... plenty of animals and over 30 bags for seeds.

The dwarves won't store seeds in the bags. They just leave them outside to be admired by whatever humped zombie camels pass by. How do I fix this?

Also how do I make a pond? I farmed by using a floodgate to flood a room then a lever to open the floor hatch so the water drained down a couple z levels. Now I have a water filled room that isn't evaporating. There has to be a better way to go about this.

Mr_Sodium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • The Journal of Cartoon Overanalyzations
« Reply #3777 on: September 24, 2010, 01:46:45 pm »

I've been told that my fortress (v.12) is now a county. Does mean anything in terms of gameplay or nobles? I once had a baron but he went insane and died of terminal bedroom jealousy.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3778 on: September 24, 2010, 01:58:56 pm »

A couple questions. I have a starting build involving unskilled dwarves, a huge amount of food 4 picks... plenty of animals and over 30 bags for seeds.

The dwarves won't store seeds in the bags. They just leave them outside to be admired by whatever humped zombie camels pass by. How do I fix this?

Also how do I make a pond? I farmed by using a floodgate to flood a room then a lever to open the floor hatch so the water drained down a couple z levels. Now I have a water filled room that isn't evaporating. There has to be a better way to go about this.
1: I do believe as of the 31. series dwarves are now forced to store seeds in barrels, at least, that's all my seed stockpile has in it, no kind of seed bags anywhere except what the traders bring to me.

2: Well, the best way to drain water, if you lack an aquifer, is to carve a fortification on the edge of the map, this will allow all water and magma to pass through, even though there is nothing on the other side.
As for a pond, you'd have to work it out with the 'i' menu, you'd want to set the space above the room you want to empty as a water source I believe, then find another empty space and set that as a pit/pond, hit P, and tell the game it's a pond and not a pit.
After this, you'll want to make a few more of those spaces, as only one dwarf per pond designation can work.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: September 24, 2010, 02:02:44 pm »

I've been told that my fortress (v.12) is now a county. Does mean anything in terms of gameplay or nobles? I once had a baron but he went insane and died of terminal bedroom jealousy.

If your baron were still alive, he'd be a count now, and would want fancier rooms.  Other than that, I'm not aware of any gameplay effects.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 1178